Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
souperwoman

More Plastic Spoon Flowers--they're evolving!

souperwoman
15 years ago

So, after I got the technique down, i kept making more and more spoon flowers...to the point that I just finished a batch of almost 20 that I will be selling (took me a week and a few burned fingers!).

Bought a new car this past Monday (a VW Beetle) and the first thing my hubby did was take one of my flowers that matched the color of my car and put it in the bud vase:

{{gwi:139773}}

My new favorite way to display is in a small terra cotta pot (I buy the pots at the Dollar store 3 for a buck) and some moss:

{{gwi:139774}}

Here is a link that might be useful: my indoor and yard art albums

Comments (13)

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Nice flowers!
    I saw on another forum that they were using a heat gun instead of a candle. Said it worked for them......

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

Congrats on the new car. I love the flowers.I'm planning on trying my hand at them soon.I think a heat gun would work,but I'll have to use a candle for now.
    Soupermom......can I ask what you will be charging for the flowers? Thanks :)

• nanagrandma
    15 years ago

What is really popular with the young girls is wearing flowers in their hair.I wonder if you can attach hair clips or bobby pins so they can slip on their hair.

I am wearing bandanas to hide the baldness and I could add one of your flowers to give it a little whimsy.

Great Idea

Sylvia

• mzclassic
    15 years ago

Boy you have really done well with your flowers. I am dying to try it and I have a heat gun too. Guess I will have to go look for some spoons. Thanks for sharing.

Donna in Florida

• katishooked
    15 years ago

These flowers are so cute. Gal, you have ran with this one. Hey congrats on the new car.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

the flowers keep getting better and better.
    I love it that your new car has a bud vase!
    kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

They are so pretty! DH had a great idea putting one in the bud vase in your Beetle (I have always wanted one myself!). No need to water it! Why do I get the feeling that my spoon flowers would look more like a glob? he-he Keep sharing!

• cait1
    15 years ago

Gosh, these are WONDERFUL!!

• donnainnc_2008
    15 years ago

It was me nona that found the heat gun does a good job on them they are so much fun but you really have to concentrate on them

donna in nc

• toomuchglass
    15 years ago

I'm loving your flowers ! In fact - I just brought a whole plastic bag full of spoons down from the attic to "play" .
    I'll admit - I don't ever remember seeing colored spoons . Where do you get them ? All I've ever seen is clear & white.
    I'll practice on the white and buy some colored ones for the "good ones" .

• souperwoman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, all!

nona--I havent tried a heat gun as i don't have one right now--trying to keep my cost down but thats an excellent idea! it would help prevent the occasional "whoops" scorch caused by the candles

roxanne--Im actually thinking i will have to drop the price, as what i feel they are worth is not what people are going to be willing to pay for plastic flowers. My plan was $7 for the flowers with stems and $10 for the potted ones. That being said, I'll probably be dropping them to $5 and $7..we'll see. The problem is that, while i have less than a dollar into each flower, they take a LOT of time to make so I dont know if I'm going to get my time well enough paid for to make it worth selling them :(

nanagrandma--what a great idea for hair clips! that's why i love this group--so creative!!

toomuchglass--I get the colored spoons at a local party supply store--they have every color of the rainbow. i buy a bag of 24 (which makes 2 flowers) for $1.79

• treasureforu
    15 years ago

Wow! Your spoon flowers came out beautifully. I might have to try this idea this summer when I have more time. Looks like fun. I would pay $10 for a flower pot but then again, I am into junk art. LOL!

• goldiemn
    15 years ago

Not sure, but I think the Dollar Store has different colored spoons sold by color. Dollar a box.
    Carol

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus