Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crafting with tree logs question

Posted by cheri_c z5OH (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 23:39

My husband and I have been making things out of logs. And we want to do more. Our problem is we've been having trouble when we cut the logs into pieces they end up splitting. We have used season wood and just freshly cut wood. Is there a specific tree that doesn't split like some of the others do? We live in the woods so we have several different kinds of trees. We have made deers, rabbits and angels. And I've had a set of deers and angel for several years and they have never split. Not for sure what kind of wood they are made out of. I was working on the angels tonight and every base that my husband cut out for the angels has a split in it. i would appreciate any advise you could give me. Thanks so much. Cheri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crafting with tree logs question

This was taken from a carving blog: move down almost to the bottom of the page.

As you all know, shortly after cutting any type of wood, it will begin to crack. If you store your wood in a place where it is at all dry this can happen overnight. Apple and Cherry will crack in just a few hours indoors, sometimes the ends will split several inches and ruin the whole piece. There are several ways to slow this down and sometimes prevent it from happening. In the past I've melted wax in an deep electric skillet. Then I would dip both ends of the piece. This absolutely works great, but you have to have a goodly supply of wax, candles etc... around and it really only works for the ends or small (whole) pieces. About two years ago I switched to a product called Anchor Seal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carving Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here