Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airedale4mom

My first bottle tree!

airedale4mom
17 years ago

I have desperately wanted a bottle tree but I am not handy with tools, don't weld and my husband is even less handy with household type repairs. I've spent months looking for a way to make a bottle tree without spending $$$ buying one.

I found these green metal wavy plant stakes, 6'tall, at Home Depot and they were marked down to $1 ea so I bought the 11 poles that they had left. The red bottles were from Ty Nant flat spring water (found at Ralph's grocery store), blue bottles from sparkling mineral water (Italian, at Trader Joe's) and the green bottles were also from sparkling mineral water, San Pelegrino, bought at the dollar store but also found at Ralph's and Trader Joe's.

I absolutely love my tree, better than the bottle trees I've seen for sale online and a lot cheaper! The poles bob and wave in the wind and even with gusts to 35mph they haven't smashed yet. I'm sure I'll have to take them down if we get the strong Santa ana winds. My only problem is water marks on the bottles from the sprinklers.

Where there's a will there's a way : )

{{gwi:140087}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:140085}}

Comments (24)

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

WOW red bottles! I love your squiggles.I have some but they arent stong enough for bottles I believe they are willow or straw.

• nonacook
    17 years ago

Great way to show off the bottles.....
    Wonderful RED bottles.

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

That is a great idea. It looks good. I need to get some more myself...I do have one and might use it as a pole in my garden. I have some on short metal pieces from a metal bed.

• mzclassic
    17 years ago

That is so cute. I love the wavy poles and the bottles are really colorful and pretty. Good job!

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

wow that is really cool!!! And it looks like you spent a fortune for the twisty stakes. Those are really neat!!!! Great idea and Great job on creating it!!!!!!

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

I love it,such pretty glass. I always meant to ask those with the bottle trees,if they really do make a whistling sound. When I was growing up I saw a few of these around peoples homes,but never thought of making one til just recently,seeing all the ones Garden Junkers have made.

• jannoel_gw
    17 years ago

Fantastic!

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

Kudz...I have a bottle bush..but I've never heard it making any sound.

patti

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Airedale4mom, great way to do a bottle tree. That was very creative thinking and it looks fantastic.

You mentioned Santa Ana winds--are you in So. Calif.? I'm in Rancho Cucamonga. Just wondered if there was another Calif. junker on here. ;o)

Luvs

• hippiechick59
    17 years ago

that is so cool! i'm gonna have to check out our home depot and see if they have any of those wavy plant stakes. do you use silicone glue on the end of the plant stakes to stick the bottles on more securely? i am in oklahoma, where the wind goes sweeping down the plain...lol....i get lots wind here too, so that is why i asked about glueing the bottles.

• airedale4mom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't use anything on the sticks. The bottles fit rather tightly because of the wave in the stick.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Way to go! Great job, you've given us a real "do-able" and quick project to consider!! Kudos!

• whskyfan
    17 years ago

Wow, great looking tree! Guess that will be my next project...

• airedale4mom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvstocraft, yes, I'm in the Rancho Santa Margarita area of So. Orange Co, CA. I'm so glad everyone likes my bottle tree, I've really been obsessed with having one, LOL!

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

The wavy things were on sale at Home Depot for clearance for $1. I am gona take them to my mother in ETX and make her a 'bottle tree' this summer.

They do not usually make noise. You may be thinking of the wind harps made of plastic bottles.

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Hope my HD has those stakes, they are cool looking with the waves in them. I have 10 blue bottles and still waiting to make a bottle tree of some sort.
    BTW, Airedale4mom, I think I recognize some "x-pen" panels back there. LOL. Having show dogs, I definitely have an x-pen or two around.

Karen

• favesis37
    16 years ago

i love the 2 colors together! neat idea

• airedale4mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Purplemoon, yep, those are Xpens, LOL! I have the yard sectioned off so my airedale and schnauzer don't get attacked through the fence by the chow mix next door. We also have a dog agressive yellow lab on the other side of the fence behind us so the xpen prevents the fence fighting.

What breed of dogs do you have?

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I am really impressed, I love this bottle tree. The wavey lines and colors of the bottles just make it so unique.

• airedale4mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks craftylady! I'm searching for more wavy sticks so I can make another one, LOL!

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

How cool is that!! I love it. I just stuck a very pretty blue vodka bottle in my planter...just because I loved the color. No tree for me. I love yours!!

• riska
    13 years ago

I would love to see your bottle tree as I was thinking of making one myself also but your picture has been removed. Please send me it in an email. My address is brueshaber1@verizon.net. Thank You.

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

Your picture has been removed. I would really like to see a picture.
    Thanks,
    Patsey
    wpnelson2@aol.com

• Allison_Turon_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Would you be able to send me a picture of your bottle tree- the pic was removed :(

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz