Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

vintage S&P shakers in the garden

Purplemoon
13 years ago

I was looking at pictures on junkmarketstyle.com and saw this idea for vintage S&P shakers. Kind of a neat I think, some of you might enjoy it too.

Her small middle photo on the left side shows how she did a whole bunch together in a planter.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: garden whimsy

Comments (19)

• kirkus
    13 years ago

The bird is so sweet! What a GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing, Karen!!!! I love that site! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Very cute items! She mentioned in comments section that she puts a 6 in spike in bottom of wooden leg or dowel so she can easily "pull it up" to clean or dump water out of. Didn't say what she glued it with tho. Jan

• giggles1
    13 years ago

THANKS so much for sharing! At my local flea/auction, there are ALWAYS single salt/pepper shakers left for "free-time"... this is a great use, many are SO pretty, but no one wants singles.
    NOW I DO!!!
    Also, there's lots of boxes of figurines etc that most people won't pay the minimum $3/box. I'd often see pretty birds etc, but NO WAY would I pay $3! If I wait, whatever is left in the row usually goes in one. THEN, I know the guys who buy the rows & I can get whatever for 25cens to $1. (We used to buy leftover rows for our kids to make extra cash. You pay $10 or so, take what you want, & by selling off the remaining single items, get back $40-50!Taught them well! lol)
    I sure wouldn't mind buying rows NOW - although it'd be for my GRANDchildren! I could get so many garden pokes!!!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

My grandma had a cute little dutch girl single shaker that she stuck on a broken clothes pin then in one of her house plants. I loved it and ended up with it in one of my plants as an adult. I just realized this winter that I don't know where it has gotten too :(. Same idea, frugal folks have always "upcycled".
    Kathy

• nonacook
    13 years ago

One TS I go to here has salt and peppers for 99 cents a Pair. I have been buying some for minature 'vases' (wire flower stems in the holes) and the large wooden S&P pieces can be used for lots of things. There is NEVER free stuff here, but there is a couple of TS in Indiana that has free things sometimes. I use anything that has a center hole in the bottom on rebar or conduit and stick it in the garden. My brother gave me a broken-armed Jamaica girl that is on rebar....

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

Very nice idea ! I'm going to save that site & browse more. Thank you !!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing this site Karen! I added it to my bookmarks. I've been stashing small figurines for a while now to make garden stakes and plant stakes out of...guess I'm not the only one! I love her feeder with the leaf plate and redbird! I'm excited....need to get to work!

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

Wow as a porcelain collector it would be hard for me to do. Cause anything I would find would stay in the house...lol. I have vintage onesie s/p shakers on top of my old Okeefe and Merrit stove. I have a couple of onesie pigs, rabbit hugging a flower, really old salt dog and a chick. This gives a new twist to them. I love the bird figurine on a spindle, it looks almost real. I could possibly do that one..lol wink!

• minnesotamaggie
    13 years ago

Waaay cute! Thanks for sharing! Something to be on the lookout for at the Flea Market!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I occasionally browse their member photos, all kinds of neat stuff posted there. Nearly 4000 photos I think!
    Here's the direct link to that section if any of you want to bookmark it.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: junk photos

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Karen! I haven't looked at their site in a while so I missed this. I often see cute little figurines at TS's that aren't quite nice enough for indoors. They might have a little chip or are single s/p shakers. So this is a wonderful idea for putting them to work. Thanks again!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Cute idea, it be fun to do all animals or ladies or some other collection. Just when you think you've seen it all, something new comes along. Thanks for the link.
    Frou

• kelly_oh
    13 years ago

I have a few sets that I was actually going to send off to the GW, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to send them off to you for postage. Just let me know, relatively quickly :)

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

I love this idea! They might work with some of the lamp bases I"ve been collecting to figure out a future use for in the garden...

• lamb716
    13 years ago

I just love making these! Here are two that I gave to my son's PreK teachers last summer. They were a hit. They're very addicting to make. I used E6000 to hold them all together.

{{gwi:140371}}

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I see S&P singles around here now and then...will have to add them to my search list!
    I've got a couple of gals who want to go garage saling now that the season has started, so I'll have something cheap to look for!

• muddy_feet
    13 years ago

I was in a funk of a bad depressed mood today but seeing this thread gave me a much needed pick me up. Thanks for posting this! They are cute :-)

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Here's another thing to put on my to-do list this winter for the garden!

Carol

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Here's another thing to put on my to-do list this winter for the garden!

Carol