Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Unrequited Love

tinfoilhat
12 years ago

My dad retired to north central Arkansas 20+ years ago where has a small farm and raises cows, goats, ticks, and chiggers. Due to some health issues I just spent 6 weeks up there feeding the cows, goats, dogs, cats, ticks and chiggers.

He raises Guinea Fowl to eat ticks and chiggers around the yard. Guinea's are one can short of a 6-pack in the brain department and they have a call that sounds like a rusty hand pump that they use to announce their location to predators day and night. Every year he buys a dozen or so and is lucky to have one left by the end of the year due to hawks, owls, coons and coyotes.

Last year I made him Moe, a metal Guinea that the hawks just bounce off of.

{{gwi:140399}}

{{gwi:140400}}

This year, Minnie is the sole survivor of last year's batch and she has a thing for Moe. His rugged yet polished good looks and quiet manner set her heart aflutter.

{{gwi:140401}}

I'm afraid this isn't going to end well for Minnie.

Comments (25)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, how cute!! Let us know how things go, afraid she will feel unattractive after a bit when he doesn't "fall' for her(oh dear, that would not be good, might kill her, he looks pretty heavy!!LOL Jan

• rafor
    12 years ago

Love it!!!! And the great story too.

• User
    12 years ago

Love the guinea and the story that goes with it. Poor Minnie.

• jlily
    12 years ago

Now that is cute. You did a good job! It sounds real quiet out there on the farm!! Thank you for sharing. Jlily

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Really enjoyed reading your story. Started my day with a smile.
    Marylee

• caroleena
    12 years ago

my mama had some of these back in the day. they are the best "watch dogs" ever.

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

How cute is that, very. You did a great job! I've never had much use for them, but I'm sure I could tolerate Mo. I live in Central Ar. too, I wonder how close you were?
    Frou

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

OMGosh! I have missed you and your great creations and stories! I LOVE your Moe...he is quite the dashing looking fellow. Minnie is probably impressed that he's a survivor and of his battle tactics! ;-)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Minnie the guinea!lol! It looks like he is giving her the cold (metal) shoulder, how fowl!!! Love the story!! I painted a set of quail once as a gift for a friend and she would tell me about this one quail, every year would try to whoo the cement ones!!!ha!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

You have such a way with 'spinnin' the yarns', LOL. I love it. And your creations!! This may be one of your best ever, obviously its life-like enough for poor little Minnie. I hope your Dad gets her some more friends before her heart is totally broken from being ignored by Moe.

Thanks for a big laugh and good start to my day.
    hugs, Karen

• loribee2
    12 years ago

OH.MY.GOD That is hysterical, and the last picture is priceless! Thanks much. That cracks me up!

(And I too have a thing for the strong silent type, LOL)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Moe is quite one handsome dude! Great job creating this exquisitely sculpted fowl! Our neighbor just got 10 more for the beg of the season...so it must be a habitual thing for those who love the sound of a "rusty pump handle" as you so eloquently put it! LOL! Have you ever tried to catch one??? Can't believe predators actually get ahold of these creatures! Good luck to Minnie...may her heart not run afoul of her dreams! TFS...a good laugh! Jeanne S.

• shrillmtb
    12 years ago

Awww, that last picture is so sweet...poor Minnie! I can see why she's got a thing for Moe, he's a handsome dude!
    I have to say though, she looks very well fed (I had no idea guinea fowl were so, er, round!) Bumper crop of ticks n'
    chiggers?

Sheryll

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

Hilarious! Maybe he'll scare off the predators and they'll think all the guineas have too much iron in them. And who could blame Minnie for falling for such a rugged handsome fellow? I hope your dad is feeling good and enjoying Moe!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Cute story! How fun to see a coyote or something go after Moe. Ouch!

• quidam2
    12 years ago

I second what everyone else has said! I have never seen one of those. I loved your story and he is a beautiful work of art!----Sheri

• nonacook
    12 years ago

A neighbor had some when I was a child.
    They could make noise!!!!!
    Love the story about Minnie.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

I just love Moe! As usual your work is outstanding.
    We have a free ranging flock of 6 in our neighborhood that everyone with the exception of a few sour notes that wants the guineas picked up and hauled off!! They have had free roam of the neighborhood for about 4 years....the animal control guy had folks running at him and about to take his head off when he showed up one morning with GUN in hand and thought he could start shooting up the neighborhood in an effort to get rid of them!! Talk about a riot. So he fled.....not good news though.....he just went back to the office and ordered some type of devise that shoots out a net and is now trying to catch them by that method! So far no luck.....run guineas RUN!!! Now there is a petition circling the the neighborhood in an effort to make him leave them alone. If he removes even one, he doesn't know it, but it IS gonna make them multiply!!! Soon sooooo many more will be released he won't know which one to chase first!!!!! Alls the folks ask that he leave our beloved 6 alone or we can start an all out war of the guineas!!
    All that said keep up the wonderful creations and thanks for posting pics.

• organizedsarah
    12 years ago

Aha...the guinea wars are about to start oldcrafty! Maybe that animal control guy will hit Moe when he shoots out his net and will have quite a battle getting him off that fence! Expecially with Minnie there to help out her beau! Great story and great project!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

This is so funny. I laughed out loud, thanks!
    You should submit this to a magazine.
    Moe is fabulous! No wonder Minnie is in love.
    Kathy

• shpnquen
    12 years ago

I agree with concreteprimrose, you should submit as you obviously have more than one gift! The story was just as entertaining as seeing Minnie give Moe a flirtatious eye. You must have painted him a mighty fine spot pattern to turn that chick on. I hope you don't make another one or there could be issues with Minnie!

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

I love Mo. If he ever needs a new home ship hiim on down to FL. If I ever learn how to weld- and I will sooner or later- I'm going to make a whole flock of Mo's just for my Italian husband. He'll get the joke if no one else does.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

lizzardly - LOL, I just read your post to my DH who definitely got your joke.

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oct-2012 With apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis.

He's got some young things beside him that just melt in his hand.
    He's middle aged crazy, trying to prove he still can.

{{gwi:140402}}

He's a hit with the latest generation too.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

There is a gaggle? of peacocks in our neighborhood that a animal rescue group rounded up one time(17 peacocks) and hauled them away(They used to live around the gas station down the road), and after not finding homes for them(who would want those noisy things!lol!)released them back here again! Whoohoo! I love them! And am inspired to make a peacock for my yard!

{{gwi:140403}}

{{gwi:140404}}

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH