Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathryn_botard

free standing porches

Kathryn Botard
12 years ago

On another forum there is a woman who has a beautiful yard and a really neat free standing porch she constructed out of leftovers and old church looking windows. It's really pretty. Has anyone here made something like this or do you know of any more pictures like it? Here is the address to her website. you will need to copy and paste. http://fp1.centurytel.net/ladybug/index.html

{{gwi:140434}}

Comments (13)

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Very cool! Love the rustic look and the peaked windows...I have to check out her site.

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Oh Kathy, I love that porch!!!! thanks for sharing, my husband is already giving me the evil look LOL
    When ever I say " oh honey come look at this" he already knows what's coming next......Can ya build me one???? LOL

This person's yard is so inviting, I just love gardenweb!!!
    You guys are so awesome.

• caroleena
    12 years ago

that is adorable! i want one!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

I think she use to post here...any way, I fell madly in love with this years ago and put it in our GJ Inspiration album. The Misc. one.
    This little porch is just so attractive and I wish I had a hunky handy-dandy guy to build me one. LOL. I'm sure my DH wouldn't care as long he could stay on the golf course.

hugs, Karen

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I remember her porch here too, Karen.
    It's still just as pretty as ever!

• Kathryn Botard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw it on the Old House Web forum. I was going to build a satellite gazebo, but my dish was only an 8 footer so there wasn't that much room in it. Then I remembered her porch so I went back to her website and even tried to find more pictures of other sitting areas. Nothing came close to this. I don't have the funds to build a porch off of my back door so I think this will be a great solution and can put it in a better spot. I haven't been on the Garden Junk forum in a long time. I come back every now and again to read some of the posts. This is still a great site to find and share new ideas for the yard.

• kacram
    12 years ago

beautiful gardens. I wonder what state she is in? what climate?
    I included a link for the same porch, only it's been painted.
    Green isn't a favorite color for me, so I think I like the porch before it was painted. But it looks nice with all the plants and everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:140433}}

• Kathryn Botard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kat. I kinda like that color on her porch. I'm glad you posted that view. I'm trying to figure out what kind and size lumber I need.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I think she just painted the pillars and the new fence and the tops of the porch rails. I think the balusters and everything else is still "natural aged".

It sure is a beauty.

I pass by a free standing screened in porch on my trip from my house to my mom's. it is pretty cool. About 60 ft from the house, but painted the same.

My old house has 4 porches, but I wouldn't mind having a freestanding one. Instead of a gazebo perhaps. someday, haha

Kathy

• Kathryn Botard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hooray, another Kathy. Do you think you would be able to take a photo of that porch on the way to your mom's house? I wish I had a back porch so this free standing one is looking better all the time. I found a web site that calculates all the boards and everything you need to build a free standing deck, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out what I need for one with sides and a roof.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS! Like it both ways ... but love seeing the plants & choices she made! Go for it, kathyjb! TFS! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

What a cute idea and it looks like it would be cheaper to build than a gazebo. I like it both ways - au naturel and painted green. I like her addition of the picket fence too. Hmmmm ... now I'm getting ideas!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Great idea for some shade in hot climates & great for just resting while gardening. Put a small insulted cooler with an ice pack & large cool drink & bowl of melon slices & sit it on that barrel. Love how she had plants that filled in so well & the pink color of hanging ones. The little picket fences really tie it all together. Chairs are perfect touch of yesteryear! Love those windows. Going to tell my DS to have a look at both pics. Thanks, Jan

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994