Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

stone flower planters

Purplemoon
13 years ago

A friend sent this blog link and I just had to share!

What a great idea for beautiful, INexpensive, big stone planters. I love these and have got to try making myself a couple in the near future.

Enjoy,

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: stone planters

Comments (18)

• nonacook
    13 years ago

OHHHHH! Those are wonderful, and look soooo easy
    to make! Going to Lowe's today.
    I am now copying down 'to print' items--in
    a notebook.
    My printer quit about 3 weeks ago-I think I wore
    it out! LOL

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Great Idea! I would have to mosaic them tho!!!hahaha! Love her writing/description and pics, good blog!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful planters that should last a lifetime! Great tutorial! Really heavy tho so almost need to make them where they will be used. Maybe on a piece of plywood so you can just turn right side up when finished! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Karen! Like calamity_j, I'd want to mosaic them too. I thought if I EVER get the house we have the offer on (bank is still mulling over it but are close to accepting our offer), I want to have potted plants on each of the front steps. But I worried that they would get stolen. These pots would be perfect, especially if they were mosaiced. Someone would get a hernia trying to walk way with them. lol Thanks again for sharing!

I also liked her Hanging Coffee Cup Herb Garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging Coffee Cup Herb Garden

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Such great ideas. Thanks for sharing these. Those pavers are super cheap compared with the price of planters and would look great with any kind of mosaic.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

A great planter & great tutorial! TFS, PM! Jeanne S.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

those coffee cups for plants are outrageous and I'd love to hang some from the porch..only I know that I'd use black chain, with little 'S' hooks...the idea is like the Mexican pots that hang in Hispanic kitchens for small amounts of things....
    gotta go get the one I have and take a picture if it....
    be back in a while.....

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Thank you Karen and Luna! I visit that blog at times but I missed both of these projects, so I decided I'd better follow her.
    My thought also was to mosaic. it also occured to me that if you could use a fancy paver with a design or put one on the front at least if you wanted to make it more decorative easily. I also love the plain simple look of them just as they are.
    I just bought some construction adhesive to use on my concrete table, and was wondering what else I could stick together. Now I know! This is the best forum.

Kathy

• marleneann
    13 years ago

What a wonderful website full of interesting ideas. Thanks.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm wondering why the pavers couldn't be put where you want them and then glued, starting with the BOTTOM piece.
    If she did it last to have the 'weight' to help the glue cure, then you could always just sit another paver on top to do that and remove it when the planter is set.
    Strawberry, the chain and S hooks would be perfect to use for the herb cups.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Strawberry, I agree the chain would be better. I know that a hemp or jute cord wouldn't hold up for a season in our climate.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I went back and looked at the pictures of the planter tutorial and see now WHY you do the bottom last.

just another senior blonde moment here.
    hugs, Karen

• rafor
    13 years ago

I've seen this planter idea before. If I were going to use them in the garden rather than on a patio or deck, I wouldn't even put a bottom paver on. I'd just glue the 4 sides together. I want to try it using even larger pavers since I am looking for something that I can leave out through the winter. It's a good idea and that website is great!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

The bottomless idea could be a beautiful way to raise part of the (veggie?) garden, for fun and looks and accessibility. Also then cool-loving things will like to grow on the north and east sides. You know what Primmies like to grow on the north and east side of big rocks, and I have some needing shade since we cut down some trees! Yipee another reason to go shopping at the building supply store. Course the spot I need them most is not level, but I'll figure it out.
    Kathy

• leafaholic
    13 years ago

I never would have found this site. Thanks, it is great. I went to Lowes yesterday for a diamond bit and now have to go back for pavers. If you wanted larger ones you could pour your own. I think you would have to reinforce anything larger and it could get really heavy.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great website Karen! What a fabulous idea!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I do love that idea I have seen it before but it is a great idea.

• TwoMonths
    13 years ago

I plant in the concrete blocks on side...bordering flowerbeds. I think the pavers would be porous enough to drain. Also the glue would probably leave some spots not covered and it would drain there. It was suggested to me to line mine with something to keep out the weeds. So if you use no bottom consider that. Also one hint I received was to put in a piece of baby diaper in bottom to retain water. The kind that says it say the little beads that grab the liquid and keep it from leakin. But I have not done that yet. Maybe this spring as I clean them up. I also was thinking of ways to raise it up just a bit....maybe a smaller paver under the bottom? Wonder if painting it with the auto underbody paint would retain some of the water towards the bottom half or third of the 'pot'.