Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Garden Chairs Built By My Dad...Restored By His Son

kirkus
17 years ago

Last month, I visited the home in which I was raised. One of my older brothers lives in the house now but is so busy with his job and commitments that the house and yard has been neglected. In the backyard, I found a debris pile, and in this pile were a pair of garden chairs my late father had built in 1970. (Dad had copied the pattern from a broken down set his brother had.) Well, the chairs I found were nothing like I remembered. They were broken in places and weathered beyond recognition. I asked my brother if I could have them. He said, "Yes!"

Well, I spent the last month, repairing the chairs and replacing broken pieces of wood and all of the nuts, bolts, and screws. My wife was worried I had undertaken too big of a project. Looking at an old picture, I found a similar colored stain to stain the chairs. In his storage shed, my brother found a set of like new cushions my parents had bought for the chairs in the 80's, giving them to me as well. I finished the chairs this week!

Oh, the memories I have, sitting in our backyard in those chairs, pondering life, reading a good book, or enjoying family times. My parents are gone as well as Dad's beautiful gardens but I HAVE THE CHAIRS MADE BY MY DAD AS MEMORIES!

Here are the chairs in my parents' backyard in 1970. Dad was quite the gardener and junker. Check out the grape arbor. He made that from recycled, metal poles and covered the top with chicken wire. Maybe that's where I get my resourcefulness!
{{gwi:140780}}

This is Dad in his later years, standing in front of one of his many gardens.

{{gwi:140781}}

And finally... DRUM ROLL... Here are the finished chairs. I took one picture without the cushion so people could see the chair underneath. Wish I had taken a before picture! I was too excited to get to work on them!

{{gwi:140782}}

{{gwi:140783}}

I think of my restored chairs as a Father's Day gift to Dad! It was such a joy last night to see my family sitting in them! Thanks for listening to my LOOOONG story! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Comments (40)

• Purplemoon
    17 years ago

Ok Kirk, you've both made me smile and cry at the same time.
    What beautiful memories you shared here, and the fact you saved these lovely old chairs makes them all the more special. I think some day, one of your sons will be sitting in THEIR back yard and the legacy will continue on.

Your father was quite the handsome man, I see where you got your looks! And the GJ interests too.

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. May your wishes come true and your day be wonderful.

Karen

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRKUS, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU - HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!

Those chairs are excellent, you sure got the talent.

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Bravo Kirk! You did an excellent job of restoring those chairs!! Your Dad would be proud of you, I'm sure. Not only are those chairs vibrating with special memories, but they appear to be extremely comfortable AND look very cool. Thanks for sharing! Kathy

• Bright199
    17 years ago

Triple WOW!!! You are soo talented..I see where you get it from. Those chairs look wonderful and are soo special. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures with us. I know they will be treasured for a very long time.

Oh... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

• User
    17 years ago

You did a great job restoring the chairs. They will furnish you with years of fond memories of your dad. The color is so striking that it will make a bold statement any place you choose to use them. Congratulations on a job well done.

• foxygrandma9
    16 years ago

Oh kirk what a great job of redoing those chairs! It is always such a joy to save a peice of our history, One day your sons will probably try to save them to. I know your father is looking down bursting with pride. Happy birthday.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Way to go,Kirk! They look fantastic,you certainly did a great job restoring them,and how cool is that to have a photo of them from back in the day??

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I really like your chairs. I have some but they are not antiques like yours are but I love that style. You did a wonderful job restoring them and I am sure they will be a great place to sit and relax for years to come!!!! Happy Birthday!!!!

• desertrat1
    16 years ago

Kirk,

Happy Birthday Man! Pat yourself on your back-you did a fantastic job and labor of love on those Adirondack chairs! Isn't it just crazy the projects we plow into not realizing how much work they are? BUT, we do it because of the fondness of remembering those who gave us such a vibrant life! I have "junk" in my garden that were things of my Grandma's and Grandpa's--an old ice cooler, loppers that my Grandpa made with metal pipes, old dictaphone parts, plumbing parts, etc....

May you day be filled with family and friends and lots of good times!

Jules

• albertar
    16 years ago

Hi Kirk
    I don't usually post here very often, but I want to say you did a beautiful job restoring those chairs. Having lost my own dad just 3 months ago today, I know that feeling of both missing and having great memories. I'm sure you have made your dad proud.
    Alberta

• breakdishes
    16 years ago

I love your chairs and the fact that you rescued them from the trash pile. Below is a photo of a bench from my uncles farm, he use to set cream cans on it. It is one of my favorite things in the garden.
    {{gwi:140784}}

• frazoo
    16 years ago

Wonderful chairs...and so good of your brother to let you take them and the "new" cushions. I especially like that the arms are extra wide...good for that picnic plate and drink.
    Happy birthday to you, Kirk!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Albertar: Bless you! Thanks for posting!
    Happy B-Day Kirk and those chairs are exactly the kind I want to find! They look totally comfy! Good job and Great Story!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your good wishes and encouraging words about Dad's chairs. You made my day! I love my GardenWeb Junking friends!!!!! Breakdishes, I love your bench! Albetar, my heart goes out to you. Keep the memories alive... Again, thank you everyone!!!! Kirk

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Kirkus,father's day is coming up.Take that story and your photos and send them to the local newspaper right now!
    They are always in need of great human interest stories.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, KIRK!!!!!
    Your Dad would be proud of the job you did on the chairs.

Alberta, I know how you feel, too-sorry!-My DH died a month ago today.

• nanatink
    16 years ago

Albert and Nonna, I'm sorry for your loss.

Kirk, those chairs look great! You did a wonderful job on them. Isn't it wonderful to have been blessed with a Dad so good that you have those kind of feelings about him? I was blessed with a very good father too. He's been gone 16 yrs now, but I keep a table he had in his workshop in memory of him.

Bless you All!

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

What wonderful work, all powered by love and memories!! Kirk, you have truly done your Dad proud by restoring his love-filled project. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!

Pat

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wonderful chairs! Happy birthday !

Maria

• User
    16 years ago

Great job Kirk, and happy birthday. Definitely see where you got your talent.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

great job Kirk. You have inherited more than the chairs, you have inherited his talent. Happy Birthday and Happy Fathers Day to you.

• katladie
    16 years ago

Great chairs, awesome job, Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

Kirk...this post really made me smile. Your Dad reminds me of my late FIL...the silver hair...the garden...the pride he shows, while standing in front of his garden. He is surely looking down on you and smiling and is ever so proud of you. You did yourself proud on the chairs--they are incredible. I have often wanted some of those chairs. Now I will probably HAVE to have some. One question? What is the vine above the chairs in the first picture? It is very cool.

Happy, Happy Birthday Kirk.

• oorahgirl
    16 years ago

I just love stories like this...great memories and preserving past items by updating them. I think I get my love of things like this from my grandfather..he was the "junker" in our family. Your story reminded me of him and how much I miss him. I remember all our "projects" we use to work on when I was kid.
    Thanks for sharing your touching story and for showing us your wonderful chairs..they turned out great. Have fun reminicing (not sure I spelt that right) in them.
    - Jacque

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The BIG vine above the chairs and picnic table are Concord Grapes dug up from starts of Mom's Mom, my Grandma. Makes the best jams! I want to thank everyone again for the encouraging words today and birthday wishes. I have read your posts over and over again. You made a 46 year old guy very happy! My Dad was a down to earth man; he would have loved you all! Kirk

• ellens_joy
    16 years ago

Kirk, Happy Birthday to a very special person. Your talent and skills as well as your kind and caring personality are an uplift to many. You did a beautiful job in restoring your Dad's chairs. There is no doubt in my mind that you have made him proud to be your Dad. May you always enjoy working with your hands and enjoying nature as you do today. You are a very fortunate person in finding such pleasure in your family, teaching and creating. Thanks for sharing and take care of you.. Ellen

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, Ellen! I've missed seeing your posts, have been hoping all is well for you! Thank you for the touching words! You made my day! SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU! Kirk

• wired
    16 years ago

I love your chairs and the story especially. What a wonderful tribute to your father. My father passed in 1999 and I have his old gas can he used to put gas in his tractors at the farm. Any ideas what to do with something like that. I wish I could post a picture..it's about 20 inches diameter and about 18 inches tall. Anyway, your tribute got me to thinking about the gasoline can and hopefully something will inspire me to do something with it.
    BTW Happy Birthday...a day late..sorry. My DH usually celebrates his birthday for several days :-)

• beekudzu
    16 years ago

Once again, I am lurking more than posting. But this story is just so sweet. My dad died in 1992 and I have this old gray wooden box that he used to haul his tools around in. He never got one of those shiny metal ones. It needs a little work now but it is special beyond words.

I imagine that this how you feel about those chairs. What a touching story and what great chairs!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! So many people have stories of their Dad's (or other family member's) treasures. Isn't it great to have something they held in their hands (like tools and toolboxes) or something they worked with or created by their hands? Brings such a connection to our loved ones and keeps fond memories alive. Dad passed away in 1992 as well but just this post alone and those chairs have brought him back to me! Thanks everyone! Kirk

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Those are great and i'm sure there are many memories to go with them.Wish i had a big country porch and those chairs to go on it.LOL
    You did a wonderful restoration job.
    Kathi

• craftyjanjan
    16 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Kirk. My Dh and I were on vacation in Branson, Missouri and I'm looking at all the posts while I've been away. I love the story about your dad. I can see where you got your talent from also. I love the chairs and they're even more special because of the memories. I lost my dad 26 years ago, he was only 50 years old and the only thing I have that he built is a huge toybox that he built for my oldest son. Its too big for anyone to keep in their house but I can't part with it. Not quite sure what I can use it for except storage in the barn.
    Hope you had a great birthday.
    Janet

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love your toybox story, Janet! Thanks for the birthday wishes!!! Okay, the next time you go to Branson, take me! I've always wanted to go there!!!! :o) Kirk

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

These chairs are so special. (sniff, sniff...tears rolling). What a wonderful tribute.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Don't know how I missed this post the first time it went out, I look at so many and I thought I had replied about your chairs, sorry Kirk! Any-hoo, your story and pics were so touching and how cool that you had a pic from "back in the day" of your dad with his treasures and a pic of the chairs, too. You actually made them look like they were brand new. You done an awesome job, I know they mean so much to you. After lurking here for a few weeks before posting, ya kinda get a sense of how people think and feel. You have always come across as a genuine sweetie and I know others feel the same. What a great tribute for your dad at this time! love them, keep up the good work, because we will all be watching to see whats next!! blessings-sherri

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wonderful story! Happy Birthday (just late, but sincere!)
    Your a inspiration!

• valentinetbear
    15 years ago

Kirk,
    Lost my Mom about the time your Dad was first making those chairs, so I know how apecial it is to bring them back.

Same goes with those cushions. I see a problem, in the not too distant future though. Hard to believe, but the 80's were a couple of decades ago, so those cushions are already losing their new material quality. you might consider recovering them in plastic, to protect them for decades to come. I'd tell you how, except only Mom and Gram (her Mom) knew how, and, at the time, them working on the slipcovers meant nothing to me, until I had my own house, and wished I could cover the sofas through the years.

My Mom made me a much-to-big sweater, just before she died. Fits now, but I just look at it occasionally, since the yarn is drying up from age. Those cushions are some of the last things your parents chose -- let them go on to your kids, in a few more decades.

• virgogirl67
    15 years ago

What a wonderful story/project. The chairs are wonderful! You did a great job!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Kirk. I have been spending so much time in the mosaic forum that I didn't see this post. I love that you had the chance to save those chairs your dad made. What a wonderful thing to have for your yard. I know you must think of him often when you see and enjoy them. I miss my dad so much, and sometimes I just run my hands over something he made and had his hands on so I can feel him close. Enjoy sitting in those chairs. I know he's smiling down on you as you do.

• jtr100
    15 years ago

Dear Kirk,

Well done. As happened to so many others, I found tears welling up in my eyes as I read your story. I also found myself thinking of my own Dad. I suspect we share the good fortune of having had wonderful fathers.

I can only imagine what joy you feel now that the chairs are restored to their original glory. I guess I believe that objects gradually pick up energy as they're being used from those using them. (At least that's one of my explanations about why I like old favorites.) Your chairs must be filled with both memories and energy.

I also wish you had the before and after pictures so we could appreciate even more what you accomplished. What wood were the chairs made of - they did well to be in a condition that restoration was even a possibility after so long.

Thanks for telling your story,

Jake

Here is a link that might be useful: Adirondack Chairs Central