Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drainage in containers

Posted by red_bird 7_TN (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 5:20

Hello, everyone. I haven't posted to this forum before but enjoy being over here. I feel like I'm with like-minded folks! Anyway, here's my situation...I have a variety of ceramic-type containers that I'd like to use as planters but they definitely need drainage holes. Examples are a crock pot whose lid got broken (I've discovered that many name-brand models don't have lid replacements available!), a small planter on clearance at the garden store, a vintage planter, etc. My question is...is there a special bit that I need to drill holes into these things? The thickest one I have is the crock pot...the others are thinner, but seem more fragile. Any advice you have is much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drainage in containers

I actually use a diamond bit to drill holes in ceramic plates just like the ones I used for glass plates. The pottery tends to drill easier, you just have to take your time. Hopefully some of our other members will post too...I know a lot of them use all kinds of containers to plant in.

Good luck and welcome!

o
RE: Drainage in containers

I just wanted to say something about the crock pot. I have one too but have found that it's still so handy in the kitchen that I ended up not wanting to give it up to being a planter. The thickness of it makes such a perfect vessel for cold summer salads on hot days. When chilled overnight, it can keep potato or macaroni salad chilled for at least an hour, depending on the density/moisture content of the food. Packing it full and putting it in the cooler is almost like adding some ice. I use plastic wrap held with a rubber band to keep everything tidy, or just foil or a plate sitting on top of it if we're using it at home.

Also works with hot foods, especially at Thanksgiving when not everything fits in the oven at the same time. I can squeeze it in with the turkey roasting pan and make sure green bean casserole or dressing is ready & (stays) hot before doing some smaller last-minute things.

It is also the perfect size thing to put a whole chicken body if I don't feel like picking it clean after dinner. Cover it & get to it tomorrow.

You can freeze it and make ice cream in it although stirring isn't as easy as one of those deals with the built-in stirring handle.

I've gotten more use out of this darn thing than when it was a crock pot and have since bought a sauce pot with a lid that also fits right inside the lip of the crock pot. Just something to think about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here