Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avgusta_gw

My first stumpery

avgusta_gw
9 years ago

I hope it is a right place to talk about stumpery :))
I was collecting my forest junks for a while and finally have made something.

Comments (16)

• marylee_2010
    9 years ago

I love your stumpery! The pieces are such interesting shapes. You did a great job, Thank you for sharing. Marylee

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Marylee!

Other side views.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

other

• new_user123_1553
    9 years ago

I love this kind of fun, have made fairy places and other places to show off frog or gnome ideas..... keep it up, it gets addicting , especialy when you are traveling down the road and see a stumpery( love this new word!!!) you just have to have for that special place!!!! geeme

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

Looks really nice and I love the new word stumpery! I guess its new I've never heard it before. Thanks for sharing your work love seeing others works!

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, it is not a new word. :))) But, I didn't hear that word either till I've read about it here on GW, thanks to a guy who mentioned it. Now I know what to make from all that stumps and roots on my property.

"A stumpery is a garden feature similar to a rockery but made from parts of dead trees. This can take the form of whole stumps, logs, pieces of bark or even worked timber such as railway sleepers or floorboards. The pieces are arranged artistically and plants, typically ferns, mosses and lichens are encouraged to grow around or on them. They provide a feature for the garden and a habitat for several types of wildlife. The first stumpery was built in 1856 at Biddulph Grange and they remained popular in Victorian Britain."

Here is a link that might be useful: stumpery images

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

You have some very interesting pieces of wood there. Love what you've done with it, though I have to say I'd never heard of a "stumpery" either til I read your post. Thanks for sharing it with us.

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

That is really wonderful. And an advantage of a stumpery over a rockery is it changes with time!
    Kathy

• mommyandme2
    9 years ago

Beautiful !

• ponderpaul
    9 years ago

Love old wood, have it all over the yard!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Avgusta your Stumpery looks great. I also like wood in the yard. I know we loose it eventually but this just gives us space for more collected pieces.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for every response, it is nice to hear that somebody likes your job. Going to find another place for a new "stumpery island". It is addicting. :))))

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Finally got a pic of mine!! DH cut a slot for me. I have had a heck of a time getting something to grow in front of this fence. This seems to be working.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

This stump was added to my three stacked pots when I took the largest for my fairy garden..the top pot doesn't show due to the flowers but there are two there. You can see the white enamel pot's top sitting near by.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

This is the NO WORK variety. I got the old Martin Villa from a yard sale, set it there until I could decide how to display in among my bird houses--that was three years ago!! I didn't know until I cam across this thread that I had a stumpery.

• rwrobinsnest
    9 years ago

Had no idea this was called stumpery. But what a great idea to garden around that tree stump. really pretty