am collecting bottles lol since I don't drink I have to depend on others

Image link:

Comments (22)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Great start!!! Is that a metal tree?

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Looking good! Love blue glass in the garden!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I snagged a couple of blue bottles at the recycling center the other day, you have to wait till they aren't looking cause they won't let you have them. Blue is so hard to find. I might take up drinking moscato for the blue bottles lol!
    Tally HO!

• rafor
    11 years ago

I have the guy at the dump saving blue bottles for me. I trade him Coke box codes. He's come up with quite a few. He even saves odd other items that are blue. Sometimes it's overkill, but I still appreciate his enthusiasm!!!

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

SKYY Vodka.
    Ask me how I know...

{{gwi:141070}}

• trashydj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

my tree is a wood post with skewers for limbs I can't wait to find some more blue bottles and wouls love to find some red ones

• toomuchglass
    11 years ago

Let's have a wine drinking party ! Colored bottles only .
    hehee . I planted a "log" today ,too ! It's going to be my bottle tree.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

The beer in those blue bottles is actually really smooth and quite good--but it is 6% even tho it's a light beer! One at a time with pizza is enough for me!

If you are a wine drinker, Reislings come in blue bottles. I get really tall blue bottles of Falkenburg Reisling at Sam's Club. Red ones are scarce as red has been expensive to make; it takes gold to get that color.

I get blue bottles at the recycling center also, they are set aside and left in a section of "free stuff". Lately there haven't been many for the taking, tho, I think demand is way ahead of supply!

I think a party is a great idea, we really need to drink more so we can get more bottles!

Sandy

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Very nice bottle tree in-the-making Trashydj!

I could attend a wine drinking party, toomuchglass! Absolutely, and only interesting colored bottles!

I have a 6 pk of that "beer" (if you want to call it that). It's nasty even for a light beer. I opened one bottle, took a swig, passed it to Hubby who did the same, and we both agreed the only thing to do was pour the rest of the contents down the drain. I need to pour out the remaining bottles and add them to my bottle borders around my perennial beds.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    11 years ago

OH don't pour that beer down the drain! put it into shallow bowls in your garden to kill slugs. OR use it to make beer bread..beer bread is great. Beer cheese soup is good too.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Slug bait maybe, Jenny, but I wouldn't eat bread or soup made with that disgusting stuff! It's truly vile!

Actually a few years ago I tried the slug bait cure (with *good* beer - wasted a couple bottles of Killians red) but didn't find a single drowned victim and the slugs devoured my lupine. :-(

• diggery
    11 years ago

Looks like you're off to a good start!

I finally caved & gifted an occasional beer drinker with a 12 pack of the blue bottles. Yeah...that stuff is n.a.s.t.y even with pizza. My bottles were returned a few wks later with the comment, "Hope you have enough for your tree cuz I'm removing my name from the donation list."

A neighbor has a small, bush shaped tree out front in an otherwise formal looking bed. Strangely, it doesn't look out of place. I want to ask what she used for the 'tree' but every time I catch her outside she's on the mower. TFS.

blessings,
    ~digger

• beachplant
    11 years ago

wine and alcohol drinking party! Yeah!
    Tally HO!

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Keep checking around ... they'll show up for ya! Looks like a good beg for your tree! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    11 years ago

My bottle tree is made like yours but is taller.
    I used rebar for bottle holders. And like you I
    have just started putting it together. Have been
    saving donated vodka bottles for several years, And
    other odd bottles that I found.
    Now that they have the blue beer bottles, I bought
    four 12 packs (and I don't drink beer) been giving
    it to a friend who will drink it. My tree will hold
    83 bottles, And the post is painted a medium blue.
    I need to cut 23 more pieces of rebar before I can
    finish it.

• texann
    11 years ago

I have a question for those of you using the blue beer bottles. I talked my husband into buying some and drinking it. But now I am having a hard time getting the labels off. Any suggestions what has worked for you?

• trashydj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mine peeled right off didn't have any roblem

• diggery
    11 years ago

No difficulty peeling mine off either. Piece-a-cake. Maybe soak in hot water to soften the adhesive?

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Peeled them off first & then I used Goo-Gone on the new Bud Lite bottles. Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

I have one of those wallpaper scorer thingys, then I soak the bottle. But it is good to remove the labels cuz I was lazy and didn't for my bottle tree and it's been three yrs and the labels DO NOT wear off on their own!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

I have lots of blue bottles just can't decide how and especially where to use them. Everything feels unsettled becuase we are going to build a new larger garage and are not in agreement about where its going on our property! I like seeing what other people are doing.
    Kathy

• christyjan
    11 years ago

I've been lurking for quite awhile, but this is my first time posting . . . I have 5 bottle trees in my yard and wanted to do an all blue bottle tree. I found actual blue glass (not painted) bottles at my $1 Store filled with sparkling water. Just an idea/suggestion other than bud light bottles.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?