Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

I finally got an obelisk!

luvs2click
16 years ago

This year we are downsizing our vegetable garden and so to save space, I wanted an obelisk to plant my cucumbers around. Yesterday my dh finally built it for me! It is made of old deck boards cut in half, and the cross pieces are made from small saplings out of our woods. It is pretty tall - just over 6'. Now I think it needs some kind of topper, but not sure what yet.

We have a large platform bird feeder I picked up at a yard sale a few years ago and we have not had any way to use it. The bottom is all screen. I was thinking this obelisk could do double duty as a stand for the bird feeder during the winter (moved out into the yard). Therefore, a topper would have to be removable. I don't really want a bird feeder in my garden all summer - that would make a mess!

Anyway, my dh calls it "the oil derrick in the garden"! You can see the area behind it covered with straw and also the white part, is all planted in grass seed.

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo album

Comments (11)

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

LOL, oil derrick:) So great you got him to make it for you and he sure did a wonderful job on it, I love the look of the branches on it.

• sistersunnie
    16 years ago

I Really like it!

• sweets98
    16 years ago

That is very nice!

I took a look around your album and I must say I LOVE it. I love Primitive Country and have lots of old pieces in the house and now I'm trying to use the same look outside. I'm just starting and can't wait to find more "junk". I just love simple rusty old stuff that the generations before us used! :)

• cait1
    16 years ago

WOW!! That's great! I may have to make something like that. Betcha if Kirk sees it he's gonna make one, too!
    How 'bout a mosaiced bb for a topper? Use mirror tiles for the shine to keep birds away.

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

I love it! Looks like the bottom of a windmill too.

• kirkus
    16 years ago

Cait was right! I love it! I want to copy your idea!!!! I love it as I love all of your creations! Remember, you said I could come visit!!!! Just a short drive from Washington! Hee hee! VERY, very nice! Below is my attempt at an obelisk for my wife. Your husband is a talented guy! Thanks for sharing! Gotta go. Gotta start packing my bags for Ohio! LOL Kirk
    {{gwi:130162}}

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Wow, Awesome job!!! Way to go DH!!!

And Kirk, your's is awesome too!!!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all, for the comments. I thought about a bowling ball but this thing is pretty big - it is about 14" at the top - so that wouldn't work. And I don't mosaic. I like to see everyone else's, but it's not my thing. Will keep looking for something for the top.

Actually, Kirk, I like yours better. And your photo is where I got the idea! I hope you have a large bank account to pay for the drive to Ohio - I can't even afford to drive to town!!!

Arlene

• Miss_M
    16 years ago

Have you considered a weather vane for the top? Maybe your very talented DH could make you one. Love the structure -- very artsy, very creative. I have printed a copy to show my DH -- I would love to have one too!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW! Very nice! Love all your pics too!! Beautiful!!!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

How great that your DH built that for you. He did a great job.

I looked at your album too. Wonderful, wonderful flowers. I love your outhouse and all the buckets, shoes etc. filled with flowers. I'm sure it is all allot of work, but it you've sure made it look like paradise!

Luvs