Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvs2click

Small garden pond with old hand pump

luvs2click
11 years ago

I bought this pond kit 5 or 6 years ago on fall clearance and have been moving it around in the shed ever since. Finally gave the ultimatum, it either gets put in the ground this year, or goes in the garage sale. It worked! It involved me moving LOTS of flowers (craigslist!)and my son dug the hole for us and installed the pond itself. My husband then installed the old pump and waterfall area. Lots and lots of work and lots of little glitches had to be worked out, but it finally all came together. An old friend gave this pump to my dad many moons ago. After Dad passed away, Mom gave it to me and I've always wanted to add it to a water feature. We are enjoying the pond so much - it is drawing lots of birds and other critters. It's lovely to sit on the porch and listen to. Here's a few pictures and a link if you'd like to see the installation process. Arlene

{{gwi:141250}}

{{gwi:141251}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more pond pictures

Comments (18)

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Very cool, luvs! Love all the limestone rock you used & that fountain process developed into a beautiful extension of the pond! Looks like you had good help, too! Now you've got some more 'history' at your place...that pump is a treasure! Yup, lots of hard work but well worth the results! Enjoy! I did! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

LOVE it!!! Great job! Love all the pics!!! That pic of son and grson is adorable!!!! You have just increased your yard enjoyment factorx10!!!

• diggery
    11 years ago

Yep...you sure had some adorable help =] Lovely pond & ohhh that pump! I had, ahem, issues getting my lil puddle into the ground as well but 10+ yrs later, don't think I could live without it. Enjoy & TFS.

~digger

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Amazing how long projects can take to get started. It was worth the wait though - so pretty

• suprneko
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh that is GORGEOUS! Love it!

• jlily
    11 years ago

Your pond is wonderful!! My hubby and I build us a pond(10' X 10'+ waterfall. But when he died I did not feel like I could keep up with all of the upkeep. so, I have moved and will some time in the future install a mini pond. Thank you for sharing! Jlily

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

WOW! Looks wonderful! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but the result really looks great. Love the old pump...perfect for a fountain!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes I love it!! looks great!!

• Kathryn Botard
    11 years ago

I need to know how you got the water to go out the pump. I have a pump and tried to put a hose up in there but it gets stuck on some piece of metal. Do I need to do that? Put a hose in the pump I mean.

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Really a beautiful area now & with all that great help you have some precious memories along with the pump from your folks! The adopted kitty looks so at home in the wheelbarrel, same color as she! How nice that is near the porch so you can hear that great sound of running water. Cleaned out the shed a bit too so you can go to yard sales this summer & get some more goodies! Win ,win all around! Jan

• nonacook
    11 years ago

Love your new pond and pump!
    I also have a pump that has been "around here'
    for a long time. You have inspired me to at
    least make a 'dry' rock pond for it to sit in.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I'm jealous of your pump. I would love one for my pond. I could have hubby build me a little dock, install the hand pump. Then whenever I needed water in the back half of the yard, I could just pump it out of the pond.

• rafor
    11 years ago

That turned out great! Glad you saved, rescued and reused all your "junk"!

• luvs2click
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! We're loving our little pond!

kathy - about the pump - yes, we tried to run a hose through it too and there is a "stream straightener" piece that goes through the inside, making it impossible to run the hose through the pump. So we ended up attaching a piece of elbow conduit pipe on the bottom of the pump with silicone caulk and then attaching our hose to that.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Your pond and pump fountain are absolutely wonderful, luvs2click! I have serious pond envy! Your photos are great! I bookmarked your flicker site for future perusing. (The mop bucket planter is a great idea, and I love the kitty in the wheelbarrow. Did you ever decide on a name?) Love your groundskeeping helpers. Your little grandson is so cute! It looks like he was really into the pond task!

• Kathryn Botard
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! You are exactly who I need to talk to! I have a hand pump, not exactly like it but I need to know how you got the water to go through it. My email should show up. Please help me out!

I love your water garden, it's beautiful

• Kathryn Botard
    11 years ago

Thank you so much. I have had this pump for about 2 years and was about to give up.

• kacram
    11 years ago

very nice