Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

Giant Bubbles

shysue
14 years ago

I haven't been posting much lately because we have been remodling and...well, I just didn't have anything new to share. I've tried to keep up with all the posts, but there are so many that it is almost overwhelming. It is so exciting to see so many new garden junkers! Anyway, someone had shared this inspiration picture, which started me thinking.

{{gwi:141373}}

My brain immediately thought of bowling balls. It took me a long time to collect 19 bowing balls. I finally got them all painted and placed.

{{gwi:141374}}

Comments (35)

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS! I love it! Thats the most wonderful thing I have ever seen! Makes me want to jump right into the bath.
    What are those pretty little plants? Bet that whole thing weights a ton. Lovely yard too.
    Well Shysue, thats a heck of a return! Disappear all you want if you come back with more wonderful ideas.

DD

• tasymo
    14 years ago

Wow! I'd hate to have to move that puppy! That is totally original and CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!! Is that sweet allysum? I just love the way Folks on this forum think!

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

ANOTHER FLIPPIN' "YOU ARE THE JUNK BOMB" AWARD (which is better than an Oscar as long as you stay on this Forum).

That is the coolest idea I have seen. I would also add other small sizes of balls to complete the realistic look!!!! Does your white paint have irredesant-opalistic-opaque paint coating it? (I just made that paint concoction up but it would be a cool effect. lol) "ATTENTION SHERWIN WILLIAMS- WE NEED THE AFORMENTIONED PAINT FORMULATED FOR ALL OF US BUBBLE MAKERS".

You did good!!!!!!

Dont mind me I'm having a Folgers moment.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

I LOVE YOUR BUBBLES AND TUB!!! What a great job!! It looks so wonderful...and I love the plants in the tub too! Wow...what a comeback!

• calicocat1967
    14 years ago

Love....love....love it !!! Very creative. Looks so real :-)

Kim

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

That is the cutest!! Did you prime them before you painted them? TFS!! Love it!!

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

O.K. now this is the cutest idea I have seen!!! I love the color of your tub and those bb's are a greattttttt idea!!!! What a great display!!! Thanks for sharing(-: 19 you say??? wow lets see...I have a about 10.....(-: I have the tub too.....(-:

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Those are amazing. They would make good giant pearls too tho I'm not sure what to do with giant pearls, lol.
    kathy

• katishooked
    14 years ago

I love it. What a perfect idea for the bb's. I like that you added the flowers too.Wonderful TFS

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

OH MY STARS ...What a GREAT & terrific idea. Love the flowers tucked in w/ the bubbles. And look, the wine rack is close by so you can have some wine while you soak. So Cute.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

What a cute idea! Remodeling must do great things for your imagination! Love the pretty white flowers amongst the "bubbles" too. Very fun idea. Thanks for sharing!

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

W O W ZZZZZZZZZERS ! ! ! ! x 19 ! ! !

That is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pics ! & Cool Idea !

A M A Z I N G the artistic abilities you see here
    on the GJ !!!!

God Bless !
    SusieSunshine....
    I just wanna take a BUBBLE BATH NOW ! ! ! !teehee
    in the house... of course...
    not the yard...

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

First (ridicious)thoughts: Singing OL!

Tiny bubbles (tiny bubbles)
    In the wine (in the wine)
    Make me happy (make me happy)
    Make me feel fine (make me feel fine).

Oh, guess not, singing OL revised version:
    "Giant bubbles (giant bubbles)...
    in the tub (in the tub)"
    Make me happy (make me happy)...
    Rub-a-dub-dub (rub-a-dub-dub)!!!

Great idea! Lots of work! Lots of back-breaking work! Great backyard GJ art!!!...shysue!Jeanne S. :-0

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Placing those balls must have been rough on the fingers!! My son lived in house where he had that color(bright Royal Blue) old claw tub & they had the cutest bathroom with it. He painted the feet gold too!! I like this use & don't have to clean it too often!! Adorable, are the flowers candytuft or alyssum? Bet it looks wonderful on a moonlight night also!! Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

WOW...now that is something to behold. I've saved the photo to add to our Misc inspiration album.
    Collecting and painting 19 bowling balls was pretty darn ambitious of you. And certainly rewarding from the looks of the result. Way to go!!
    I love that old tub, and new paint job on it.

hugs, Karen

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

What a cute idea! How fun! Good job, Sue! ~tenderlee

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

Love it!

• Barb11370
    14 years ago

Wow...all you need is a giant rubber duck. Very cute!

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

That is super....giant rubber duck???? How about one of the yellow flamingos, lol.

• fgirl21
    14 years ago

oh nooooooooooooooooooooo
    Bubbles in the tub?!?!?!?!?!
    I think that might put the hubster over the edge!!!

But how absolutely adorable - and then I wouldn't have to worry about planting "as many" annuals in it.

Oh the possibilities!!!

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

tooo coooool!!!!!

• cait1
    14 years ago

Wherdja go Shysue?

That is GREAT!!! Did you fill the tub with soil first so you had something to plant the allysum in?

Definitely inspirational!

• shysue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all of you for your kind words. It makes me think it was worth it. WHEW! Yes, the flowers are allysum. I thought they looked like tiny bubbles. LOL I had the tub already filled with dirt from last year. Even with the dirt, I still had to use 19 balls and it could probably really use a couple more. I got the BBs from yard sales, thrift stores, and from a bowling alley where I hounded the poor manager for old balls until he finally gave me enough to finish it. This is what the tub looked like in previous years. I got tired of trying to fill it up with flowers.

{{gwi:141375}}

• janniegrannie
    13 years ago

Lands a goshen....that's the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. I just love you guys...you're so creative.

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Wow! Great bubbles...but I like it when you had it filled with plants, too!

I just came upon a clawfoot tub and am drooling over just the thought of owning it. It's in fairly good shape...will need a paint job and costs $100...how does that compare to prices in your area???

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

LOVE it!!! GREAT Job!!! Folgers moment...lol! Anybody else get a quick flashback...Dean Martin...singing Tiny Bubbles!?!lol!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

dang and I passed up a claw foot tub, cuz it was too heavy for inside the bathroom.
    I wasn't thinking in terms of out in the yard!

fabulous...I'd thought of regular tubs for plants but nixed it, cuz they're too plain but this is top drawer cool!

it's also worthy of a "set as background" on the computer screen.

• the-light-lady
    13 years ago

Add a little romance by adding solar lights around it to look like candle light. There isn't anything more relaxing than a bubble bath by candle light!!!

• jlily
    13 years ago

What an adorable idea!! This place has the most talented people~~the ideas just keep coming. Your tub was great with just the floowers, too. Thank you for sharing. JLily

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! As soon as I saw the pic I told my husband, "Wow! This person is a real go-getter!!!". I love it!!!!
    I'm completely amazed the tub feet aren't sinking into the ground. The weight of the tub alone seems like it would sink them, but add 19 bowling balls and WOW LOL :o)
    Love it!!! Great job!

• shysue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody! I haven't been over here in a long time. I just thought I would pop in and see what all I've missed, and saw that this bubbles post was back up. Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I am always looking for ideas to improve things. I like the idea of adding smaller balls for a more realistic look. I keep expecting the tub to sink into the ground all the way to China with all the weight that is in it. If anyone does get a tub, please post a picture of what you do with it.

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

OK, my jaw LITERALLY dropped!! That is stunning. LOVE IT!!

And DANG, look at the cute yellow ball in the lower left with the daisies made from metal pull tabs (is that the right word?) and half-round marbles. TOO CUTE!!
    -Sprout

• crazyone
    13 years ago

what a huge dose of whimsy in the garden.. so cute!!

• Fuzzy Elsinger-Bakken
    8 years ago

What IS that fabulous paint to make them look like bubbles.....gotta know! Thx in advance!

• shysue
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Fuzzy, the paint I used to paint the bowling balls was the spray paint Krylon Fusion For Plastic in gloss white. Just be sure to clean your bowling balls well before painting. :>)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus