Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowbunny_wi

Looking for pics of planted wheelbarrows

snowbunny_wi
16 years ago

I have a shallow metal wheelbarrow that Ive been thinking about planting something in and Im just looking for some ideas. TIA

Comments (62)

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

Most have probably seen mine in my album, but will post it here just in case. It is planted with sedum - nice part is it can be left outside all winter and comes back to life in the spring. Also takes lots of abuse (like forgetting to water it). This is a child's sized wheelbarrow.

I love the ones pictured - just gorgeous cindee and mikitoo!

Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: Arlene's garden

• snowbunny_wi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! I knew you'd have some pics to show me. Mikitoo I love your wheelbarrow! You all have definately inspired me to plant mine. I have an old one that used to be my grandpa's, now I'll be able to look at it everyday rather than it being shoved out back. I'll post pics when I get it done, hopefully this weekend.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I have a wheel and a frame and I put a couple galvanized buckets in it a few yrs ago and some old gas cans around it, I should haul it out and plant it up, now that I finally got my tricycle done too!

• nancyjeanmc
    16 years ago

I'm loving this!
    Slowmedown...You used to be here a lot. Miss you!
    Nancy

• cookiemon5
    16 years ago

I planted one a couple of years ago. I didn't like it sitting up, so I made it look like it got dumped.

{{gwi:141529}}

I also have one similar to Cindee's. I planted annuals in it last year, but haven't got it planted yet for this year.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Cindee:

I have never checked out Freecycle before. But on your suggestion I will. I am in the town of Quincy which is kind of North-Eastern. My husband and I are self employed and also working on our house so we don't get out much to yard sales or that kind of thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kate

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

wow Kate that isn't to far away....(-: I have several wheelbarrows like mine if you ever get to Redding.(-: My daughters bf lived in loyalton and for a year and a half we drove through Quincey on our way there... Small world...(-: She doesn't have the same bf anymore....)-:

• jean_mi_z5
    16 years ago

Wow...it's been a while since I've posted. Love all the wheelbarrows and everything else that I see. Here is my wheelbarrow from last summer. Just getting ready to fill it again this weekend. We have had some hard freezes this week, so I'm just getting ready to fill my containers.

{{gwi:141530}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden 2006

• painterchic98
    16 years ago

I've always thought I would plant my old wheelbarrow and garden cart....but I still use them both.
    love all the pictures.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

I love them all...and am totally jealous. I will find one someday. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I was just at the store and there is a new gardening mag out and it has a picture of a wheelbarrow planted with maybe scotch moss or iris moss and has a couple flat stones maybe? And they are using it as an outdoor coffee table....it was reallyyyyyyyyyy cute. I wanted to get the magazine but I didn't...maybe next time I go there...(-:

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Cindee:

Well thank you for the thought. You are very big hearted. No we are not far from one another at all and be careful in offering me something I want as much as that wheel barrow. I've driver further for less:-)

Jean:

I greatly enjoyed your wheelbarrow and your gardening pictures. What all do you have planted in your wheelbarrow? It is just beautiful.

Kate

• surfin_sandy
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing jean! what great photos and 'junk' with your flowers. Hubby's granny passed away last fall, and we are now trying to clear out things for the house to sell. Theres an old wheelborrow like yours there, hubby isn't warm on the idea of using her rusty ole things in the yard yet. But I just gotta have that w.b. ! I already dragged home a couple chamberpots, one with holes rusted right thru, it has catnip in it now, a bigger one has oregano. I have an enameled tea kettle I'm undecised on still. Loves seeing everyone's photos. I gotta show hubby so he won't give me those dirty looks for dragging them things home. I got a big galvanized washtub too, planning to plant several varietys of lettuce in, after my friend is done borrowing it for dying her karate uniform.
    I just made tipsy pots this year too, and still nothing planted in it. I used small pots, which should make it harder.

• jean_mi_z5
    16 years ago

Kate,
    The pink flowers in my wheelbarrow are diascia, lavendar ones are verbena. I have some pansies, marigolds and I think a pink geramium in there somewhere... :)
    The white in front is bacopa.

Jean

• cait1
    16 years ago

Ancient pic but I like it.
    I painted my wheelbarrow first. Just last week I once again filled it with tulip bulbs and DH bought pansies and violas so there's something 'growing' in it now. I'll take a new pic in spring once the tulips flower.

{{gwi:141531}}

The blue flowering bush is a ceanothus but I don't know which one. That was the best it ever flowered, though. After that year it grew tall and all the leaves dropped off from the bottom of it.
    Enjoy!
    Cait

• kirkus
    16 years ago

My wheelbarrow isn't planted up yet. I go back and forth whether to plant it up or not. I love the ructicness of it. I bought it last summer at a garage sale. It was Sunday evening and the lady was just closing up her sale. No one wanted the wheelbarrow! Can you believe that?! She sold it to me for $5! What a treasure! (Check out the huge cedar knot next to it! That came from my uncle who was a lumberjack.)
    {{gwi:140543}}

This isn't a wheelbarrow...just a rusty garden cart a friend picked up for me "curb shopping." His wife wouldn't let him keep it so he gave it to me. I planted it with Hens and Chicks and placed it in front of an ugly electrical post by our road coming in to prevent people from running over that post! LOL Kirk
    {{gwi:140544}}

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Kirk, I would leave your wheelbarrow exactly as it is and find another to plant. Yours looks like an antique and is wonderful, covering it up would be a shame no matter how pretty the flowers would look.
    That knot is incredible, I've never seen such a thing. and am green with envy!

Karen

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

Here's our herb-barrow in the back section of the vegetable garden. I just planted it last weekend so they haven't filled out yet. Make sure you have ample drainage. I drilled holes in the bottom of the barrow and also added some stones for additional drainage.
    I love all the beautiful and colorful arrangements all of you have done in your barrows!

{{gwi:141532}}

• hipchick
    16 years ago

I love all the flower filled ones, I have a second, older wheelbarrow that I am going to plant with flowers this year.
    This is one that I have in the veggie garden and we plant it with lettuce. Keeps it a nice height to just go out and pick some for dinner
    {{gwi:141533}}

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I have an old wheelbarrow just like kirks planted with various stuff. Its true when you plant in it, it covers it all up and you can't enjoy the beauty of the old uniqueness(-: Oh well been that way for years so can't change it now...LOL You could set a couple potted plants in it or a few old tools etc....(-:

• lellie
    16 years ago

My neighbor's....

{{gwi:141534}}

• nanatink
    16 years ago

Wow you're all so inspiring! I have a barrow in my backyard without a wheel on it that I plan to plant in... guess it's gonna have to be a tipped one. LOL

I need to get flowers for it and GIT R DONE!

Thanks for sharing!

• katefisher
    16 years ago

I know it has been a little while on this thread but I just had to say I finally found myself a wheelbarrow. Yeah! Was driving home and a lady here in town who owns an antique store is liquidating everything and moving. I decided to cruise by and that's when I saw it, my big, rusty old wheelbarrow. Of course I ran right up, bought it and brought it home. My poor husband came from work, saw it perched in the middle of the driveway and said "what the heck is that! Where on earth are you going to put it!" and so forth. I smoothed him over though and now he's on board with it as a planter.

When I get it planted I will post pics. I had to re visit this thread to check out again some of the incredible photos.

Kate

• textilejo
    16 years ago

I retired my wheelbarrow last week:-) After years of service she has a flat tire and a cracked bucket but looks wonderful in her retirement!

{{gwi:141535}}

• zozzl
    16 years ago

Yes, you are inspiring, darn it! Now I have another project to add to my list:)

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Textile Jo:

That is a beauty alright. Thanks for sharing it. I'm really torn between planting mine in sun and shade as I have annuals that for both exposure..,

Tough decision.

Kate

• mjowest
    16 years ago

I'm a tad late, but now that I've finally figured out the camera and photobucket... I've got a lot to catch up on.

Free wheelbarrow- stolen, I mean taken from someone's trash, filled with sedum, begonia and yellow daisies (on it's last leg), free chair "asked for" from the trash of a thrift store- painted (I'd like to paint the flowers on the back of it) and my yellow collander with the coolest hen and chicks I've ever seen.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

I don't know how I missed this one! What great wheelbarrows!!

This was mine...pretty much a duster now with this crazy weather. You can hardly see the wheelbarrow for all the flowers! lol
    {{gwi:141536}}

One day it's fall here...the next it's summer again. My hydrangeas have started blooming. They didn't bloom much at all this summer. There are more flowers opening now than I had all summer! With next years flowers opening now...heaven knows what will happen next summer. Same thing with our rhododendron. Poor plants don't know what time of year it is!! Frankly...I'm a little confused myself!

~Sandy~

• Cricketm
    16 years ago

Here is mine for Summer 2007: {{gwi:141537}}

{{gwi:141538}}

• shysue
    16 years ago

All of these are so beautiful! Cricketm, the shot looking downwards on yours is so cool. I want one so badly (sniffling). Maybe the garden fairies will find one for me next year.

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I just found a wheelbarrow today and this thread has inspired me to plant some wave petunias with some herbs, probably thyme and chives. Thanks!

• lisatx04
    16 years ago

I want a wheelbarrow now!! All of the pictures are so pretty. Now if I could just find one...

• lefd05
    16 years ago

Here are a couple of mine from last summer. The bottom wheelbarrow is one that actually belonged to my parents since I was a little kid. I can just barely remember when my parents bought it and my dad put it together. I was probably only 4 or 5 years old and I'm 49 now.. For some reason I've held onto it for all these years.

{{gwi:141539}}

{{gwi:141540}}

• daisyme
    16 years ago

I just went through each of the pictures deciding I HAD to do each one in succession. Now, to find 20 wheelbarrows!

• snowbunny_wi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful wheelbarrows everyone! I did do one last year and it turned out beautiful, unfortunately I did not get any pics of it :(

use2bcapecodr I love how you just did the wave petunias, now Im kind of leaning towards just that rather than a mix this year.

• rottyinbluejeans
    15 years ago

Here is one of mine from 2 springs ago:

{{gwi:141541}}

And one From last year:
    {{gwi:141542}}

Rotty

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am usually on the Decorating Forum here at GW but since I've been spending so much time outdoors, trying to reconfigure my small 1953 S. California tract home back yard I thought I'd browse around the Garden sections of GW and see what I could find that I could relate to.

From this first post I've opened, I can see I've hit a goldmine!

With the exception of two very large plants and 5 rose bushes, everything else is contained.
    Not necessarily in clay or plastic pots---
    I say.... if it can hold soil and I can cut, pound or drill drainage holes into it, it's a planter. *smile*

I just wanted to post to thank all of you for your fabulous pictures/links/ideas.
    What wonderful creativity you all have...what spectacular inspiration!

Amity

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Welcome, Amity. Looking forward to seeing your containers after your comment. LOL. glad you found us! Did you get the link to our GJ Inspiration Album to see all the great there? I just reposted it earlier this evening in the Fairy Garden thread.

Karen

• janied
    15 years ago

I love all your wheel barrows. Luvs2click, i saw your fairies that you make and i just love them. would you mind explaining how you make them?? tfs, Janie

• snowbunny_wi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I did find a pic of my wheelbarrow after all! It's a pic right after I planted it so it's not as nice as it was mid season. The sweet potato vine and petunias were to the ground, you couldn't tell there was a wheelbarrow there. Im doing the same thing this year.

{{gwi:141543}}

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

I've never been on this forum before... but I'm loving it! I found so many neat things in a shed at our last house and we just moved to a new one... I can't wait to use them in my new garden... you all are inspiring me to get out there and get it going! I've got an old 5 gallon glass jug, old wooden coke bottle carrier, small ladder (amazing distressed look), wheelbarrow and more that I can wait to put to good use. Fantastic photos!

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

Oh good...more photos on this thread, more inspiration for me!

And now I see more pics in the GJ Inspiration Album thanks to you PurpleMoon---I've loving this board!

We are hitting two yard sales. One early Friday morning and one early Saturday morning.
    Both sales list old Garden supplies in their ads ie; rake shovel, wheel barrel etc.

I picked up 5 old, 12", terra cotta pots from Craigs List yesterday (a buck apiece) and the guy had an old wheel barrel just sitting at the back of his shed, rusting.
    I asked if he was planning on selling it and he said "who'd want an old, rusty wheel barrel?"

I said "Me!"
    He said "Why?

I told him about all the inspiration I got from a message board online--planting pretty colors or cactus in a wheel barrel and he thought for a minute then said "Well, now that you tell me that, I'm sure when my wife hears, she'll want me to keep it".

I've gotta learn to keep my mouth shut. *s*

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

Rotty,

I LOVE those boots you have planted there... what's in them?

• rottyinbluejeans
    15 years ago

Hi musicaldeity:
    The boots have hens and chicks planted in them.They were my sons boots he worked on construction. :O)
    ~~Rotty~~

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

I thoughts that what they had in them... they are fantastic! As is you wheelbarrow, of course. I'm lusting for some Hens and Chicks now... I've seen them in so many cool things lately... on here and in magazines. I have so many cool ideas and inspiration now... I just have to find the time!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Welcome to the Junk Pile, Musical. Glad you found us. I hope you have fun making stuff, and sharing the photos with us too. You can catch up on about 67 pgs of old posts, LOL, and see tons of photos. that should keep you very busy for awhile. Then our Inspiration Album is just jam packed with great ideas, mostly from here tho a few from Internet sites.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Inspiration Album

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

I had somehow already stumbled across the Inspiration Album, and I'm working my way through the posts... I'm loving this forum!

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Bumpity bump, just like that stupid wheelbarrow wheel, lol. Linda

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

By the way, that old link doesn't work now for our Inspiration Album, here's the new link.
    hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Inspiration Album

• cand
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. It has been a while since I have been here. Thought I would add a picture of my wheelbarrel. Taken in late Spring when my roses bloomed.

{{gwi:141544}}

Enjoy
    PS I love everyones. :)
    Dana

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm