Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindee11461

My First Glass Plate Flower

cindee11461
14 years ago

{{gwi:141692}}

{{gwi:141693}}
This is my first attempt at making a glass plate flower. I like how it turned out.(-:

The DH helped with the soldering of the copper pipe(-: He even cut out the leaves.

I bought the glass plates at the dollar store.

The finishing touch was the ceramic electric fence insulator from the JUNK TRAIN!!! Thanks guys!!!!

Comments (17)

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

YOU DID IT SO WELL!!!!!!! Tell us more about the leaves and stems and how they were made.

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

OH YEAH BABY ! ! ! The copper stem and leaves really add the touch.

BTW has your crafty brother been creating any GJ lately?

Good your hubby helped out too. WTG ~tenderlee

• laney-bug
    14 years ago

you sure did a great job. love it.

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

Oh, Love it, the leaves really make the flower. The insulator is cute, and makes a nice contrast. I need more info on making the leaves, I need to add some to my flowers. Did you use the Bell Hangers for the back?
    We have the same little candle holder dish for flower centers.
    Your flower looks wonderful in your garden! Warning: You will want a whole crop of them..lol

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

That is soooo pretty. I love the copper stem and leaves also. TFS.

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

Ohhh Cindee, that turned out so well. The copper stem & leaves are the perfect finishing touch.

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone.
    Thanks for your great comments(-:
    The leaves were cut out of a copper sheet. I had left over from the gold fish I made. I drilled a hole through the copper pipe and my husband soldered a copper wire to the leave and then stuck the wire/leaf into the hole on the copper pipe and soldered it in place. The copper sheets are really expensive now so I will be using copper wire for leaves after I run out!!!

I used an copper elbow to hang the flower on. It was soldered also to the cap on the back of the flower. Inbetween the cap and the elbow is a short piece of copper pipe so that it could be attached. About 1 1/2 inches long. Just so it fits into the copper elbow and the copper cap. Does that make sense?

TT,
    My brother has not been making anything lately. He is taking a break I guess! I need to remind him...(-: His daughter is getting ready for graduation from High School so he is dealing with that right now I guess(-: His son is in baseball too so he is pretty busy at this time of the year. I keep sending him all the pictures I see online of all the cool welded things to inspire him though(-:

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

wow! hey, I love it, those are perfect plates for a glass blossom. A beautiful touch adding the copper leaves :D
    kudzu

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Great job on the plate flower! Love the copper leaves...they will look really awesome as they patina! Thanks for sharing with us!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Great job!! The copper leaves are beautiful!! Insulator makes a great flower center!! Amazing all the ways you can put together a flower!! That's what makes each one unique!! Thanks for the pic!! Jan

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

WOW, cindee...perfection! Love your glass flower...copper really makes it's beautiful in it's own way. Think that insulator may have rode with JT on the train from Iowa! Makes a great flower center...beautiful glass & a ceramic! TFS! Jeanne S.

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I just saw some glass garden flowers for over $20!

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Love how it turned out! I agree with everyone that the leaves are gorgeous and really make it a "flower." It looks very pretty in your garden. And I bet you'll end up with a whole patch of them!

• mjowest
    14 years ago

Cindee- could you explain how you will be making leaves with wire?
    I just can't visualize it!
    thanks!

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Very nice, and those copper leaves....WOW. Beautiful.
    Kudos to your DH for helping out so much.

hugs, Karen

• chelcass
    14 years ago

Beautiful, I agree the leaves really make it. Wonderful job!

• KatherineMidwest
    11 years ago

Very nice... I love the copper leaf and you did a very nice job :)

I have a tutorial now on my blog. If you still have questions after you read it just leave a blog comment under post. [:)] http://www.midwestcountrychic.com/2012/07/693/

Here is a link that might be useful: MidwestCountryChic

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area