Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Glass Plate Flower

Posted by cindee11461 z9CA (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 11:01

This is my first attempt at making a glass plate flower. I like how it turned out.(-:
The DH helped with the soldering of the copper pipe(-: He even cut out the leaves.
I bought the glass plates at the dollar store.
The finishing touch was the ceramic electric fence insulator from the JUNK TRAIN!!! Thanks guys!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Glass Plate Flower

BEAUTIFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

YOU DID IT SO WELL!!!!!!! Tell us more about the leaves and stems and how they were made.

o

OH YEAH BABY ! ! ! The copper stem and leaves really add the touch.

BTW has your crafty brother been creating any GJ lately?

Good your hubby helped out too. WTG ~tenderlee

o

you sure did a great job. love it.

o

Oh, Love it, the leaves really make the flower. The insulator is cute, and makes a nice contrast. I need more info on making the leaves, I need to add some to my flowers. Did you use the Bell Hangers for the back?
We have the same little candle holder dish for flower centers.
Your flower looks wonderful in your garden! Warning: You will want a whole crop of them..lol

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Sun, May 17, 09 at 12:33

That is soooo pretty. I love the copper stem and leaves also. TFS.

o

Ohhh Cindee, that turned out so well. The copper stem & leaves are the perfect finishing touch.

o

Hi Everyone.
Thanks for your great comments(-:
The leaves were cut out of a copper sheet. I had left over from the gold fish I made. I drilled a hole through the copper pipe and my husband soldered a copper wire to the leave and then stuck the wire/leaf into the hole on the copper pipe and soldered it in place. The copper sheets are really expensive now so I will be using copper wire for leaves after I run out!!!

I used an copper elbow to hang the flower on. It was soldered also to the cap on the back of the flower. Inbetween the cap and the elbow is a short piece of copper pipe so that it could be attached. About 1 1/2 inches long. Just so it fits into the copper elbow and the copper cap. Does that make sense?

TT,
My brother has not been making anything lately. He is taking a break I guess! I need to remind him...(-: His daughter is getting ready for graduation from High School so he is dealing with that right now I guess(-: His son is in baseball too so he is pretty busy at this time of the year. I keep sending him all the pictures I see online of all the cool welded things to inspire him though(-:

o

wow! hey, I love it, those are perfect plates for a glass blossom. A beautiful touch adding the copper leaves :D
kudzu

o

Great job on the plate flower! Love the copper leaves...they will look really awesome as they patina! Thanks for sharing with us!

o

Great job!! The copper leaves are beautiful!! Insulator makes a great flower center!! Amazing all the ways you can put together a flower!! That's what makes each one unique!! Thanks for the pic!! Jan

o

WOW, cindee...perfection! Love your glass flower...copper really makes it's beautiful in it's own way. Think that insulator may have rode with JT on the train from Iowa! Makes a great flower center...beautiful glass & a ceramic! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

I just saw some glass garden flowers for over $20!

o

Love how it turned out! I agree with everyone that the leaves are gorgeous and really make it a "flower." It looks very pretty in your garden. And I bet you'll end up with a whole patch of them!

o

Cindee- could you explain how you will be making leaves with wire?
I just can't visualize it!
thanks!

o

Very nice, and those copper leaves....WOW. Beautiful.
Kudos to your DH for helping out so much.

hugs, Karen

o

Beautiful, I agree the leaves really make it. Wonderful job!

o

Very nice... I love the copper leaf and you did a very nice job :)

I have a tutorial now on my blog. If you still have questions after you read it just leave a blog comment under post. [:)] http://www.midwestcountrychic.com/2012/07/693/

Here is a link that might be useful: MidwestCountryChic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here