Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Rain Chains

kudzukween
16 years ago

Ever since I saw rain chains on here a couple years back, I wanted some. I thought I could find some copper measuring cups,or figure out a way to make some somehow. Never happened...BUT I got this catalog yesterday called Collections Etc.,and they have some very pretty ones for only $15.99. It has 10 copper colored tulips,seems like a deal to me,considering the ones I looked up were around $160 to over $299. There's quite a few other things in the catalog I liked,too.

Here is a link that might be useful: rain chains

Comments (12)

• TxMarti
    16 years ago

Thanks! I've been coveting these too.

• mzclassic
    16 years ago

I get that catalog too and saw those but they weren't real copper. I got my rain chain last year online and its 8 1/2' long full of tulip cups and solid copper for $60 on sale. I love it and it is just now starting to darken up and get some patina to it. They sound so nice when it rains.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I saw them, too and was going to post about them. I have really considered getting them but I'm afraid they're "Copper" like a few of my other outdoor items that rust. Copper doesn't rust! I like rusty looking stuff but I wondered how rusty water running through the flower bed would work? Or if they'll fall apart fast? I guess I could paint them or something, though.

Are they $14.99 or $19.99? I thought I saw that they were $19.99. I usually wait until things go on sale or I get some good deal through my e-mail through them and then order so it's even cheaper! LOL

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I know they're not really copper,just copper colored,but they're already made,and I just can't figure out my own version of some. At $15.99 I can afford them,and I could spray a sealer on them,if they last a year I'll be happy,as long as they make a nice sound when water runs through them.

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Those are cute. I've been buying little round copper cups for about 6 years now, when i see them at yard sales. My original purpose was to make a rain chain...but I have only found 6 in those 6 years. I'm using them as candle holders right now on a copper tray out at the picnic pavillion...but I'm still looking! lol.
    Great find Kudzu...hope you enjoy them!

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Yeah, they are $15.99. I looked through the catalog again tonight and it's not $14.99 anymore..it's everything under $20. I knew they started to add $19.99 items and had even $9.99 but it seems they changed.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I get that catalog also and must say they do have some great looking garden items at decent prices. As Kudz' mentioned, you have to remember it's not the best of quality but for the price, it's great to be able to get something you've wanted at a real low price.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I have quite a few items from Collections and they have held up fine. Most of my items are in the house, though.

I guess after just spending the last week fixing all my garden junk so I can put it back out, I'm being cranky! LOL I really want the rain chimes but I don't want to be upset next summer because they look like crap and need thrown out or a lot of work done to them. I'll be too excited about seeing them again and using them in the summer that I will be so disappointed. Then again, maybe I'm trying to talk myself out of getting them so I have money for other things I have planned? LOL

• mjowest
    16 years ago

"Bumping" this back up-

I'm trying (with dial up) to do searches for a handmade photo of one finished-
    ever since Kirkus said he was going to "make" one-

I found instructions for just hanging a section of chain from your gutter-

But I'd love details of experience from others who's been there done that!

We are actually having a snow melting day! 40 degrees, so the water's drip drip dripping off the roof-

May have to make an emergency trip to Menards for chain!

mj

• kirkus
    16 years ago

MJ, I am in the process of finishing my rain chain...had all of the pieces put away for winter. JULES gave me the idea to make my rain chain with my old insulators. You could make one with other containers that have holes in the bottom...or drill holes. I wouldn't want the water to sit because of mosquitoes... I went to the hardware store and found hooks to connect the insulators. I think the guy at the store thought I was nuts because I brought the insulators with me! HA! I attached the original link where JULES and NESTMASTER gave me some GREAT ideas for a rain chain. Good luck! MJ, sounds like you're having a creative spurt, making so many cool things! Post a picture if you make a rain chain! Bear Hugs! Kirk P.S. I also had a post where my wife gave me an actual copper rain chain...it's so cool especially now with the snow melting off the roof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulator ideas

• kirkus
    16 years ago

MJ, Here's a link to the rain chain my wife bought me! ENJOY! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain chain

• nmgirl
    16 years ago

After reading this thread I thought I'd "google" rain chains for more info. Lots of for sale sites but the one below has nice instructions for making a ring style chain.

http://www.geocities.com/chris_haan/kusari/

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz