Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good garden markers needed soon

Posted by Corkelcol 8/9 S. Cent. TX (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 11:43

Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers? The kind that don't fade. As our summer in South Texas nears, many of my spring perennials will go dormant and I need to mark those. I planted a Cala lily last year that I thought had just died and not realizing it I put a cement planter almost on top of it. Low and behold the girl is coming right back and right up the side of the planter! I don't want this to be an issue this year and need to mark many, many things but I need garden markers that are going to last a long time. Any crafty ideas are greatly welcomed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good garden markers needed soon

Experience from 40 years of gardening has taught me to make my own markers from pop and beer cans ad copper or galvanized heavy wire. Cut your cans into one inch wide tags or labels length wise after cutting the top and bottom off the cans. Bend one end of label over a half inch to make your label double on one end. Punch a hole in that double end and insert your stake using a double hook so label can't come off. Using a magazine or other pad engrave the plant name on the shining side of your label
and it will be there forever.

o

Hi there~

If you type "plant markers" into the search bar at the bottom of the GJ page, you'll get all sorts of posts on what our Garden junkers have done. My personal favorite is Jeannespines' markers made from old silverware. Check it out!

o

The flatware markers I learned from jeannespines work well in South Texas. Mine aren't as fancy, I select ones with large flat handles from the thrift store, sand lightly and use paint pens to write. Only the paint will stay put, sharpie type markers will fade.

I also use cut up mini blinds. I cut the metal ones into strips and write on with paint pens. I have found the plastic ones get too brittle in the sun and also the plastic is too porous so the words fade out too quickly.

o

I made my own markers from ceramic clay. Glazed them a pale biege with black letters. Of course, they can be broken, but so far I've only lost one - dropped it on the tile floor. ;>(

o

I took some old spoons and flattened them somewhat then spray painted the spoon part and etched the plants name on it. You can get a cheap etcher for about 10 bucks. They are not really pretty but they work!! This one was out in a long snowy wisconsin winter and still looks okay!! I tried stamping some with metal stampers but I kept hitting my fingers with the hammer so I gave that idea up!!!! Good Luck!

o

I use old vinyl window blinds, cut to whatever length I want and write with a waterproof marker the name of the plant. They last for a really long time. You can get the blinds at yard sales, charity shops etc.

o

Thanks for the ideas ya'll...they're great and they're making me think, think, think! I love this blog!. Spoons it is! I like the idea of spray painting the color of the flower on the spoon before etching it. Hopefull I can find the $10 etcher at Home Depot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here