Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the high's and low's of my garage sale adventures

Posted by shpnquen z5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 12:13

I decided to hit some garage sales on Thur at the last minute. After driving around just to find these sales & not getting anything once I did get there, I finally hit a few sales of good stuff. My most favorite treasure was a large older mirror. It was nothing extremely fancy, but it had some minimal carved detail around it for some interest. It was in good shape and only $3 & it's around 3 ft tall.

Here is the before picture...
2011,mirror

Close up of frame detail

2011 mirror detail

My plan was to paint the gold frame a two-tone antique white & beige & I was going to flip the mirror around so that the backside would be what you see & I was going to paint it with chalkboard paint. This way, if you wanted a chalkboard, you could have that or change it back around to still use the mirror. I got it home, took it apart & started the painting process. I go pick up my 7 yr old daughter from school & warn her to not touch it or the other stuff on the coffee table. Less than hour later, I hear this odd sounding POP & instantly KNOW what just happened! She's darting out of the room like a bullet from a gun. She broke my mirror. She stood on the mirror to see herself from a different perspective. Even though there's 3 acres of woods between our house & the neighbors, I'm sure they heard me plain as my child did. I just called to price a mirror replacement & it's going to be $35 +/-. I guess I'm wondering what I can use now to make it just a chalkboard? any suggestions? ~*sigh!*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the high's and low's of my garage sale adventures

Oh my, at least she wasn't hurt.

You can use chalkboard paint on wood or drywall so if you can cut a piece to fit that might work.

o

I'm pretty sure you can use chalkboard paint on most any surface. I would make a pattern from the frame of the mirror and then use some thin plywood (luann)to make a new "mirror."

Little people are very curious, aren't they? Glad she wasn't hurt though.

o

At least you didn't spend a fortune and you still have a pretty frame. And I'm sorry, but it's a pretty funny story (only since she wasn't hurt).
Frou

o

I'm REALLY happy that my daughter didn't get hurt at all. I'd hate to think about having to take her to the ER for stitches.

My husband suggested the luann too, but I'm not 100% sold on that. Drywall would be great if it were thinner. We'll see. I'm considering using sheet metal so that you could use it for magnets also. I just liked the idea of having 2 options for it's purpose, but not for $35 + the cost of the mirror, paint, etc..

My intention was to sell this in my fall craft show, but I would have a hard time getting the money out of it that would have to be put in it using a new mirror.

o

"Chalk" it up to a $3 "miss"-adventure! Jeanne S.

o

There's actually a combination metal/chalkboard paint available that magnets will stick to.

o

Just use a piece of Masonite. I lived in So. Dak. & that is what the house was sided with. Undercoat it on both sides & paint it & then on smooth side add the chalkboard paint. It is not too heavy & won't come apart like plywood can. Should work out beautifully & much safer.Just be sure all edges are painted. Glad she is OK! Jan

o

I think your idea of using it as a chalkboard is a great one. Maybe use it as a sign at your next sale? You might want to try marine-grade plywood if it will be outside. You can get it in 1/4" thickness. Your daughter could jump up and down on that and probably not break it! lol! I'm glad she didn't get hurt but sorry about the mirror.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here