Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

old grill & theme plants

{{gwi:142050}}

This old charcoal grill's legs rusted away so we (he) dug a hole so it would sit flush to the ground. There are the 2 grates still inside, we use the lower one for building a bigger fire or if it's really windy, or use the higher food grate if we just want to light up a few sticks to toast marshmallows. It's not close to anything or any trees and the lid smothers the coals so we feel safe about going back inside.

I need to get some newspaper around the edge in a lip under the bricks. Then it will be easy to move the bricks & mow close enough to not need to use an edger here, (which doesn't get between bricks anyway) then put the bricks back. We want this to be easy to replace with grass if desired in the future.

I had muttered something about using this grill as a planter but that got vetoed for this, which I love. But I have my eye on another grill that I think will be decommissioned from its' original purpose soon. It's a gas grill, which is not nearly as appealing to me as the classic lines of this beauty, but with enough stuff spilling out of it, I think it could be cool & pretty. Does anyone had any "grill planter" ideas or pics you'd like to share?

What would be some puns I could use? Like "red hot pokers"? HOT peppers? No offense to the "named cultivar" aficionados, but I don't spend much money on gardening. The more common, the better please! Kind of wanted the best pun plants to decide if it'll be mostly sun or shade...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists