Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Tin Can Man

bookjunky4life
9 years ago

I'm finally making one of these. I see most that have two can length for limbs. Do the proportions with just one look ok? Also, I want to make his hat out of cans also so it will rust at the same rate as the rest of him...any suggestions?

Comments (22)

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

Maybe use 2 cans for the legs. He's looking really good. I have always admired the tin men but never made one. I saw a life size lady made of tin cans and painted pink and yellow on FB. Patti Clarke made her and that's about all the info I have, she was so cute I took a screen shot in hopes that one day I might try to copy her. Sure wish I could show you the pic as she is soooo cute.

• shymilfromchi
    9 years ago

If you Google Patti Clarke and tin lady, she will show up. She sure is cute.

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

I agree with OldCrafty...maybe add "shoes" or another length to his legs. I think I saw one where they used cat food cans or tuna cans for the shoes. I have all of my cans to make one. How are you putting the cans together if I may ask?

Can't wait to see your finished tin man!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

He is going to be darling.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to use hammer and nail to make holes and use fishing line? No ideas on the hat?

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Looking good so far. What kind of hat? Seems like the ''tin man" had a cone shaped 1.You could cut into a piepan from 1 side to center & stop & then bend the pan around to get cone shape(probably easier said than done!) or for flatter hat, you might squash a gallon size tin can. Jan

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Most of the ones I have seen use an upside down metal funnel as the hat.
    Google tin can man and look at the images for ideas.

Here's a link to instructions. I would definitely make longer legs. The longer thin sardines cans make good shoes especially the Oval ones.
    I personally would not use fishing line it's thin and the metal would cut it in no time. A good heavy duty wire would be better maybe like florist wire.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

The video at the end is darling. Thanks Ravencajun.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New Layout for the body, will look for feet cans at the recycling center next time. We don't eat tuna :)

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went looking in the junk pile for some kind of hat for my tin can man. And found this. It fits him perfectly. I think it might be a drip pan from a stove, but it was with some other rusty pieces that definitely were not so it may be from some farm machinery.

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

perfect! Cant wait to see the finished project.
    Kathy

• atokadawn
    9 years ago

I bolted the head can on with the open side up. Then planted a running plant in it to make it look like hair.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Worked on punching my holes and experimented with running wire different ways to wire together and experimented with some bolts. My husband helped me figure out how to wire it all together so I will finalize tomorrow and have a pic!

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

done!

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

AAAAAh he's so cute!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

He is darling. The hat is so perfect.

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

He looks WONDERFUL!! Great job! Love his hat too.

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

Where will you put him?
    Kathy

• mommyandme2
    9 years ago

The hat is perfect !

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Cool now he just needs a face! Great progress.

• deb_pa
    9 years ago

Mine has a silver funnel upside down for a hat. Mine is starting to get a bit of rust, should I wire brush it and paint it with silver paint?

• nonacook
    9 years ago

Deb, to keep it from rusting, spray it with clear spray paint.
    You could clean the rust that it has, with some steel wool.

Most of us like rust, and would THEN spray with clear, to keep it in good condition.
    I have had one about half done for a long time--maybe with this post I can be inspired to finish it......
    I bought sardine cans for the feet---My cats loved the sardines-LOL

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County