Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totem Experiments

Posted by lindasewandsew 9 So Calif (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 14:12

I've been playing around with these totems lately. It's a good way to store pots in plain sight. They'll be restacked and some of the pots will be planted right on the pole. I hammer a pipe (aluminum pipes from old shade covers or old galvanized plumbing pipe) into the ground till it's stable. We have hard clay soil here, so it holds pretty well, but they could be anchored with a little cement. I drill a 3/4" or 1" hole (there's a link below with a diamond drill bit, available at most hardware stores) in the center bottom of the pots, then thread them onto the poles. There is no glue involved with these.

The terra cotta pots and saucers in the bottom pic are all drilled and have sections of pvc used as spacers. The pvc cuts easily with a saw. In each pot that will be planted, there's a piece of window screen with an X cut in the center, so it easily threads onto the pole and keeps the soil from escaping. These will all be planted with succulents. I'll post more photos as they get farther along. Linda

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond drill bit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totem Experiments

I loved Edna's stacked clay pots. You have taken them to another level! Also good thought to use pvc pipe as spacers, I was thinking, I don't have any old hose, but pipe may be even better.
Stunning!
Kathy

o

Oh - I LOVE these!!!! AWESOME!!!! Hoping it gets me motivated to go create some totems this weekend!!!

Lesa - "Lone Star Junkie"

o

Oh my goodness! How clever & creative! My cheeks are busting a smile w/the yellow picture!!! :o)

o

Linda,
You just amaze me! Those are absolutely wonderful!! Yep, you HAVE taken totems to a whole new level (figuratively and quite literally!) Thanks for sharing with us. When they all get planted up we MUST see more photos please.
Love, Jules

o

Well, that is just one of the most clever things I've ever seen! LOVE all of the blue pots...you have an awesome collection! And the yellows are so cheery too....great job..can't wait to see them planted as well. Thanks so much for the great idea!

o

Wonderful Totems the bright blue and sunny yellow will certainly make your garden full of color. You have solved a problem for me by using the PVC pipe as spacers. What glue did you use? Did you see the succulents you gave me?

NanaGrandma

o

OMG I love those pots !!!!I love the blue and the yellow ones what a cool idea .I realy love that blue bottle.

o

You already know, sewandsew, that you brought color pots into my gardens! Now I am just so AWED by your pics above! I love the blue garden & the yellow one, too! And since my style is mostly "earthy," I am just loving the 3 terra cotta pots with the 4th lovely pair of ducks! Thanks for this great idea of using the pvc pipe! Those will be AWESOME planted with your succulents! I love the idea of NO GLUE so that you can take them apart & change things if you want.

Those 3 half planters on the old boards are wonderful ...and so cute with the blue sun shining above them. TFS! Your work is always so fasinating! Jeanne S.

o

Thanks everyone. The reason for making these particular totems was to get some pots out of the pile, hide them in plain sight, keep them easy to find and easy to pull off when I need one. There is no glue on any part of them. Bottles can also be threaded on as long as the pole fits in the top hole. I'm SOOOO lucky that my recycle place saves the blue bottles for me and have given me a lot of them. Some of them are in the first photo, including a totem made of them on the far left. It's stacked just like the other ones, no glue. I found the bird house at a yard sale and put it up recently. It's made of pvc and is about 4 feet tall, and I'll most likely paint the white parts yellow.

Photobucket

Here are Edna's totems again for anyone who missed them. They're threaded onto rebar and she cut up an old hose for spacers. The rebar isn't as stiff as the pipes I'm using, so the stacks bend a little, which is cute. Linda

Photobucket

o

I'm absolutely DROOLING over all your blue! What a clever way to "hide" them in plain sight! I am totally in love with blue in the garden, so I had a hard time moving on to pic #2 and then you show the adorable YELLOW ones! All that and then re-sharing your friend's clay pot totems.

And, here I thought I was running out of ideas for my gardens! I just have to start looking for pots that need to be hidden! LOL!

o

You've sure got a lot of pots!! These neat totems will help you locate 1 you want. I love the duck planter with the googles, so cute!! You've been busy!! Jan

o

WOW!!! A WHOLE NEW LEVEL!!! And love seeing an update on your slope! I gotta post mine soon too! Love all the colors grouped together like that! AND it is sooo true...diamonds really are a girls best friend!!!!lol! Except now we want tools not jewels!!ha!

o

All that BLUE!!!!
WOW and AWESOME!
My only problem would be the drilling.
I haven't been able to make myself drill
glass or ceremic. Have the drill bit....

o

Thanks again everyone. Nona, when you do drill something with the diamond bit, you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner. It's not much different than using any other drill bit. Linda

o

Mind-boggling! For once I think I'm speechless! LOL
I keep scrolling back to look at the photos over and over.
WOW. (the terra cotta totem with the duck pair really is wonderful.)

hugs, Karen

o

I loved Edna's stacked pots but yours are even more awesome! I really like the idea of being able to rearrange things or replace pieces if something breaks. And the height! The blue is so pretty but I like your yellow things too. Who would have thought those smiley face mugs that are a dime a dozen would look so cute in the garden? Be sure to show us pictures after you have them planted!

o

Wow, serious bottle tree envy here! Love it all, the blue is especially beautiful and the yellow is so cute with the smileys.

Are the straight row of bottles in the back on a piece of fence or did you make the frame?

o

Does garden junking ever stop getting better? The sky's the limit I say!
Kathy

o

sewandsew...I forgot to comment on Edna's...I think that is just the greatest succulent display in that garden vignette! She is one cool lady & am happy you share her gardens! Jeanne S.

o

Oh My Goodness, my Blue Heaven!!!! There it is again that beautiful blue I love! And how did you collect so many blue bottles? Everything is so awesome. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas. You are one smart and creative garden junker!

o

Thanks again everyone.

The row of bottles is on a piece of fence. It's a wide but short piece that had the posts sticking up above the cross piece. I just stood it there and used rebar to make sure it doesn't tip over. The bottles fit right on the tops.

I find the bottles at yard sales, thrift stores, etc., but the best thing is that the guys at the recycle place save the blue ones for me. The Sky vodka seems to be the most common, but they've given me all sorts of others too. One day they gave me 10! The owners always tell me to have fun with them (AND I DO!!! lol). Linda

o

WOW Linda...what a collection. Maybe sometime during the summer I can come and visit you and we can go have lunch and I can peruse through your collection..lol..wink wink... I love the blue..blue in the garden just pops. I bought for my mom a bird bath from a Pottery Yard that is that beautiful Royal blue glaze from top to bottom and it is the centerpiece for sure. I love the blue 1/2 pots that you have on the board..those are quite unique and will be spectacular planted up. You must be one of the lucky ones with a large yard!

o

Thanks for the encourgement, Linda!
One of these days.......grin.

o

OMG they are all so clever!! You ladies have taken totems to new hights!! Thanks for keeping us in new ideas!!

o

What inspirations! Love both the blue and yellow. What is on the three boards in your blue picture? Looks like broken pottery attached with plants? Love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here