Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty2430

Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath

patty2430
9 years ago

Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could go outside without dressing up like Will Steger on a polar expedition. I put the birdbath back on its base and filled it with water; in two hours the bb was dry, so filled it again and watched the water leak out the bottom. DH said he would do a temporary fix on it until we could find another bb, then he would chop up the old one and throw it out. HA! Not until I consult with my GJ geniuses......any suggestions out there? I'm willing to repurpose both bath and base, or each one on their own. TIA

Comments (13)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I do not know if you can get Face Book. I just saw this post for an old fountain but I am sure a bird bath would also work.

This Face Book person shows so many fun things through out the day. She also likes to display others works on her page to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fountain.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

I filled one with succulents and it has survived for a few years now with no assistance. It was very shallow on the edges but the plants are all pretty drought tolerant.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    9 years ago

Succulents do well. Fairy garden would be lovely! Here's my leaky one.

{{gwi:142619}}

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

Oh this is so pretty. Love the blue and the succulents draping over the sides. The bowling ball is a perfect center.

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

Mine is also filled with hens and chicks and sedums and rocks I have collected from all over.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

I think someone mosaic theirs ? That doesn't look right! Bed time. Love the bb one with all the plants. Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

All of the ideas above are what I would suggest as well. Have seen several made into Fairy gardens and planters! Post a picture when you have your finished.....we'd love to see it!

• krazydawglady
    9 years ago

I had one leak several years ago and was able to repair it by coating the inside with a thin layer of exterior caulk. I was caulking around some windows and had an open tube. They never seem to keep if you re-seal them, so I figured I didn't have much to lose. It's worked for several years, and when it sprung a leak again, I just re-did it and it is still going strong.

• hostarhodo
    9 years ago

I used the base of a white plastic birdbath to hold a very long stemmed (large) red rose, put some artificial fern at the top of the base and put it in the lobby of the local hospital which has rose in its name. Looked great. Will look for more, could use them at our church to hold the extra long poinsettias (fake). Had to use my umbrella stand this year.

• Joyce C
    8 years ago

Mine had a hairline crack and would not stay full, so I mosaiced it with bits of tile and dishes and marbles and coins. I used the GE II Silicone to attach the pieces, then grouted with sanded grout. In the winter I lean the top against the house (on edge). I live in zone 5 and this has lasted over 10 years and still does not leak! I just filled it for the first time this year, and so far so good.

• patty2430
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joyce C, that birdbath is beautiful! I have a couple ideas for ceramic projects, and maybe do something with my birdbath (which has not been leaking ever since I posted about it almost a year ago). Just need to teach myself how to do it! I'm in Zone 3 so just need to protect it during the winter.

• Joyce C
    8 years ago

It was fun. I want to do more of this kind of thing, but so far this is the only one I've done.

Sponsored