9 years ago

Cool!
    Diane

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Love that!

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

Well I must say I think that looks pretty darn good! Love the coleus plants in there with the brick pattern.

avgusta_gw thanked Marlene Kindred
  • oldcrafty
    9 years ago

Certainly takes the "tire" look away. Clever paint job and looks super with the coleus

avgusta_gw thanked oldcrafty
  • concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

Fabulous. It didn't sink in to me that it is a tire right away. I thought it was a fire pit and your plants were imitating "fire"
    Good job.
    Kathy

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

That is absolutely amazing, the paint job and the planting!!

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I like doing it.

More planters from a tire and tire parts:

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

other side

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Great! All of them. What is your source for the tractor tires? I hope they have a place here in TX, lol

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I took all of them from a shop where I replace tires for my car. They are happy to give away used tires as many as I want to. They are free.

I cut these "circles" with a jigsaw. It is easy.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

I've asked lots of shops for tires , they want to sell them around here
    Good for you

avgusta_gw thanked jolanaweb
  • ponderpaul
    9 years ago

NEAT!

avgusta_gw thanked ponderpaul
  • marylee_2010
    9 years ago

Love your tires. You have done a great job! And recycling too. Thank you for sharing. Marylee

avgusta_gw thanked marylee_2010
  • avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those tractor tires , which I took from the shop, were not for sale. They had pretty noticeable damage on them, that cannot be fixed. It is probably why they have been left at the shop for recycling.

On the other hand , when you replace tires, they charge you some for recycling your old tires, do they?

My story started when I asked them "May I take your badly damaged tractor tires instead of paying for recycling mine?" They say "Sure!!" After that I was welcome to stop and dig in their piles of tires at any time without any charge. It is probably a part of customer service as well.

Sometimes I see ads on craigslist about free damaged tractor tires in " free section".

This post was edited by avgusta on Thu, May 29, 14 at 8:59

• laurastheme
    9 years ago

COOL!! I like the first one best.

avgusta_gw thanked laurastheme
  • luvncannin
    9 years ago

I love this. So much more creative than what I was going to do. What kind of paint do you use?

I got a lot of huge tires from the irrigation place in the spring last year. They practically beg you to take them.
    Kim

avgusta_gw thanked luvncannin
  • avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use any latex based paint. It needs more than 1 coats cause rubber absorbs first layer a lot. Usually, I buy paint from local ReStores, they have it for $2-$5 for almost full 1 gallon can.

After covering rubber with "base", I use textured paint with stone or metallic effects for further decoration. I have one tire painted with "stone" spray paint, it looks like real masonry material.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info and the great pics

avgusta_gw thanked jolanaweb
  • luvncannin
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for getting back so quick. my daughter is coming for a visit and she loves to do stuff like this. I am going to start looking for paint asap.
    kim

avgusta_gw thanked luvncannin
  • stolenidentity
    9 years ago

:) Love these. I am totally inspired and happy to see such a fabulous reuse of tires! Way to roll avgusta!!

avgusta_gw thanked stolenidentity
  • Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

These are really nice. your painting job on the bricks is amazing. Fooled me.

avgusta_gw thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • craft4fun
    9 years ago

Love your tires. I just got 4 tires to paint.

avgusta_gw thanked craft4fun
  • CFields59
    9 years ago

I love your creative repurposing of old tires. The brick looking one with the coleus plants is my favorite. Disguised very well! Keep up the recycling good work, my friend!

avgusta_gw thanked CFields59
  • sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Best looking reuse of tires I've seen!! Thanks for showing them. The brick look is my favorite also! The 1st 1 has such a "fall" look to it with orange flowers it would be perfect for fall! TFS Jan

avgusta_gw thanked sunnyca_gw
  • diagia
    9 years ago

Wonderful idea..look super hmm my husband sells tires for tractor trailer trucks. wonder if he will think i am nuts if i asked him for some used ones, it costs us to take to landfill.

avgusta_gw thanked diagia
  • nonacook
    9 years ago

I had collected a lot of regular tires, and intended to paint some of them. However, when code enforcement made me move a bunch of my things earlier this year, i got rid of most of the regular tires. I never had any of the larger ones.
    I kept the golf cart tires, and plan to hang some on the fence, painted, as planters.
    I love the ones you have done.
    I will print some of yours to use as 'samples'
    Thanks---

avgusta_gw thanked nonacook
  • kfrugg
    7 years ago

Would you mind sharing what colors and paint you used for your brick tire?I absolutely love it and would like to try and duplicate it.

avgusta_gw thanked kfrugg
  • avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Paint could be any kind, latex based or oil based. Colors- pale yellow, white, redbrick, dark orange, chocolate brown . Or any colors from pale yellow to brown. I didn’t go and buy these exact colors for the project. These paints were collected as leftovers from other projects around my house.

Just in case you don’t know, there is a special store “ReStore” where they sell donated paints and other building materials for very cheap price to raise money for “Inhabitat for Humanity” projects. ReStores are almost in every county.

• pattico_gw
    7 years ago

Oh.....I like.....thanks for sharing

avgusta_gw thanked pattico_gw
  • Cathy Kaufell
    6 years ago

Great idea. Who would have thought?

avgusta_gw thanked Cathy Kaufell
  • citytransplant(zone5)
    6 years ago

Just found your terrific tires and want to make some for my garden. Did you cut into the ground to sink them or cut them in half. I am not sure I can do the digging part, but like would not want the whole tire above ground. Any ideas? Oh, thanks for sharing!

avgusta_gw thanked citytransplant(zone5)
  • avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No, I didn't sink them or cut in half. I used a jigsaw to cut off both sides of the tire that gave me two "circles" and " cylindrical wall" for a planter. I placed "wall" (after painting) on loosen ground and filled it with soil/compost mix. Those "circles" are placed on top of ground for hiding the edge between grass and a rose planting soil. Another "circle" lays just on top of other tire planter to keep its wall in shade.

• sunnyca_gw
    6 years ago

The big tractor tires would make a great low wall before the street ,often people have people parking in front of their home & they get so upset, I suggested rocks to friend & that worked for her as guy lived across the street & parked on her grass strip but had it all tore up She planted couple of low shrubs between rocks & guy gave up(didn't want to damage his precious truck )but this would be classy with 5 of more out there & nobody would want to mess around with those . Tea cup is so cute too. Especially with the pink flowers in center, perfect!

avgusta_gw thanked sunnyca_gw
Sponsored