Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quidam2

Enhanced wire nest with eggs

quidam2
12 years ago

This is my version of the rebar nest.

First, I made a wire frame from fencing wire. I sanded each piece to get the coating off before I intertwined it. This part was interesting because I had no idea what I was doing. My intention was to have it only be wire but I got tired of the process and the look was not what I wanted. If I was to do this again, I would have different sizes of wire and make it deeper.

Second, I rusted the wire with salt water. Actually, I did a ton of things like peroxide, vinegar, boiling in salt water etc. because I am impatient. I hadn't gotten all of the coating off because of.....impatience. Vinegar made it turn black because it was removing the coating. Anyway, spraying intermittently with salt water seemed to do the trick.

Next, I found twigs in my yard and filled in the gaps of the wire. It could probably use more but I got tired of it and can always do more later.

The eggs are small plastic Easter eggs. I sanded the joint to get an even surface and the rest of it so paint would adhere. Next, I glued it shut. Then I used wood putty to fill in the joint gap, sanded to smooth and painted with acrylic paint. After a few coats, the joint was still cracking a bit. (very, very small line). So on one I used wood putty again and sanded. The other I modpodged with tissue paper to try something else. (I ended up putting wood putty on the tissue paper one anyway because the line still showed) I painted both with many coats of paint and sprayed with sealer. I thought my sealer was satin finish but they turned out glossier than I had wanted.

Anyway! I do like how it turned out and wanted to share. I really don't have a place for it yet and was just playing around when I made them to see if I could do it.

I hope you enjoy and don't mind all the explanation of the process!!

Sheri

{{gwi:142696}}

{{gwi:142698}}

{{gwi:142699}}

{{gwi:142700}}

{{gwi:142701}}

Comments (16)

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Really nice....looks very time consumimg but well worth all the time. Your eggs are very pretty

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Sheri, you did a wonderful job. Your nest looks very realistic. I love it. So glad you included your nesting process. I like your eggs, too. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• User
    12 years ago

I love it! Both the nest and the eggs look so realistic. I think the idea to use the twigs was perfect.

• kacram
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! My brain is working! LOVE this!
    you did such a great job!

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Well, it may have been a lot of work, but it sure turned out beautifully! Love the final work and the plastic eggs look totally real! Great job!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

That just turned out so great!!! Love it!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

A bird couldn't have done a better job! lol! I almost thought it was a real nest until I read all of your post. I think the eggs turned out great. I can't imagine anyone knowing they aren't real unless they look very, very closely. I even like the rusty wire nest before you added the twigs but the twigs sure polished it off. Great job!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Your hard work (& impatience) paid off! The nest is very natural looking & love the eggs, too...I hope you use it outside on a patio or covered porch...great GJ decor! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Looks real enough for some bird to come & sit on it & try to get the eggs to hatch-or lay some of her own & have a family! Well worth the trouble! Jan

• princess_mimi
    12 years ago

Way cool! I love it!

~~Mimi

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Very nice! Great idea. TFS

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

very pretty. It does look like a real nest.
    Great job!
    Kathy

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Great nest!
    And fine instructions.....

• organizedsarah
    12 years ago

Oh! How lovely! I haven't got my rebar nest yet, but it's on my son-in-law's "honey do" list my daughter writes for him. He replaced the brakes in my car last weekend, so I can't be too pushy about his working on a nest for me.

Yours is just super...definitely looks REAL! How big is it? About how many inches across? BTW...I LOVED your adding all your instructions. Makes it easier to copy your ideas! Thanks!

• quidam2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, thanks to everyone with the positive comments!! It took about 8 hrs off and on for a week. Most of the time was spent waiting for it to rust and paint to dry.

Prestonsnana--It is about 7 inches in diameter. I am looking forward to seeing your rebar nest!

Jeanne S. and Jan--I will put it outside. But as you mentioned, it looks so real that a bird might come and disturb them. I am thinking the Scrub-Jays will want to eat the eggs. In hindsight, I should have filled the eggs with something to make them heavy! LOL

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Sheri

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That's very pretty, wow it does look so real and decorative at the same time.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida