Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Some of my newest junk

bookjunky4life
9 years ago

An old propane furnace we had in a room we gutted and remodeled. We had taken it over to the junk pile, but I've been meaning to make a planter out of it. I still have to bust out the glass and old fake logs.

Comments (56)

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm trying to buy the fairy on the right off our local facebook rummage sales page but she is having computer trouble...still hoping to get it in the future. She's a little on the big side for a fairy garden at 15".

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband's muck boots blew a hole in the side so they are now hens and chicks containers. Do you think it will work to use my 2" hole bit and drill holes in the sides like the containers you see in stores and plant the succulents vertically along the sides of the boots?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

wow, that is a lot of junk! never visited this forum before; will have to return!

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New flower bed with a large round block (that came with a free concrete birdfeeder I had to junk this year cause it crumbled in my hands), the large gear out of my FILs harvestor silo, and a bowling ball. I haven't decided if I will paint the bowling ball or not.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My wash tub planter holds my pot hanger collection.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I made these last year in green and yellow but repainted the entire things for this year. Pool balls.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I REALLY wanted this for a planter or potting bench...it was free off a local facebook rummage sale page but I wasn't quick enough to respond :(

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have this positioned in the garden where I want it but have not made it further than that. It's a toddler bed for free...yes, off the local facebook rummage sales site. One of the cross bars is bent. I'm going to cover in hardwire cloth, fill with soil, and plant. Going to do succulents, with something long on the sides for a bed skirt and sew burlap pillows stuffed with straw for pillows.

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

WOW.......sooooo much good "junk" lease keep posting so we can see some of the things completed.

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

Wow Wee! You HAVE been busy collecting! LOVE all of you cool junk. Love the silo gear, the turtle pot hangers and wash tub too. The rubber boots will be so cute as planters, but I would also drill a few little holes in the bottom for extra drainage. And where on earth did you find so many BIG water containers...what an awesome koi pond they will make! Sure hope you have a willing DH to help you.....and please post pictures as you go along. You are indeed the Junk Queen this month!

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

I am drooling over all your fun junk. Loving the bed idea. Actually loving all your ideas. Car jack mounted on large 6 by 6 or some thing to make it high enough might take some of the bend out of that rail. Or a come along tied to some thing strong. Thinking truck hitch. Course you would need to tie the cat walk to some thing strong too,

Looks to me like you have your summer plans all set for you. i just love it when things start to come together.

• sricha7539
    9 years ago

Love all the junk, that will be sooooo much fun! Post after pics please

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finished this today. It needed new tank to bowl bolts and bolts for the seat, which I used plastic bolts for (smart, right since it will be outside, they won't rust). I'm planting million bells in it.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband (does DH stand for damn husband or maybe dear husband? never have figured out that acronym) was getting tired of me collecting hobbies and wanted me to finish some projects. He is not a fan of either but hates the unfinished piles of stuff everywhere. I'm doing as much as possible with a 17 month old and 2 month old girls.

I already drilled holes in the boots :)

Thought maybe heat the base of the upright rail with a propane torch hot enough to bend it (its bent just right at the base where its welded to the walkway). Also, we have a welder if that could do the trick? I bent one of the side rails by hand the the upright is too thick for me to do that.

Believe it or not the big water containers were $15 each from my BILs work. I can basically get as many as I want. My sister just moved from texas and paid $150 for one. She got five or six when I got mine. This pic is all the free stuff I helped her collect just within a 2 mile radius of my house ...55 gallon water barrels, a bunch of spools, and some pallets.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Wow!! You must have an over active thyroid!! And 2 kids too!!Looks like a lot of fun projects in the making!! Loved your turtles trying to get in the tub, cracked me up!~.~ Will be waiting for more pics from you!! TFS(thanks for showing) Jan

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have seen the boots with the top of the toe cut out and succulents growing out of the toe very cute.
    I can't believe that you can get those water containers for so cheap. Those have lots of uses.
    The blue barrels make good rain catchment containers, use the water for the plants and garden. They are also very good for making a floating pontoon platform or raft. lots of fun in a lake.

Neat stuff!

• Enterotoxigenic00
    9 years ago

Wow!
    That's a bunch of junk!
    I am so jealous!
    Have fun and keep posting.
    You have lots of great ideas.
    I just wish I had an imagination.
    Karen

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jan - Not an overactive thyroid. I wouldn't be as fat as I am if I did. In fact, its probably underactive, hypo I believe that is. Just an overactive brain and ocd for hobbies.

Karen - not so much imagination as some good pages I belong to on Facebook to give me ideas :)

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How can I drill through this for drain holes to plant something in it?

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Flowers made from 60 cent 2x2 x 18" stakes from Menards and bottoms of soda bottles (2 liter and smaller) and a small bolt and nut, and of course some spray paint. This is my prototype so its far from complete.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of my older junk.
    Grill planter. I have two other grills. Want to make at least one chicken tractor. See youtube.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bowling ball and oil field pipe gazing balls

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paid $8 at a rummage sale. Also have one with wooden handles in the shed somewhere.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This needs repainted before it rots.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This needs repainted before it rots.

{{!gwi}}

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

Wow what a lot of fun garden stuff!
    Looks like you are good with plants too.
    Kathy

• granny2anb
    9 years ago

I'm sitting here drooling over all your creations. The oil field pipe makes wonderful gazing ball stands. I also like your planted grill. I have one and have been trying to decide how I wanted to use it. Now I know. Thanks for sharing all your ideas.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Redoing the highchair above. Two coats of clear tomorrow and bolt a white tub to the seat and plant it. Got rid of the tray.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Watermelon million bells

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

Wow, you can slow down anytime now!! You are makin' us look bad here. Just kidding....you have been one busy gal!

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some new stuff I found in the junk pile

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some old discs. Not sure what to do with them.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or this?

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a thin metal coat hanger. How can I paint it so it will last? Thinking of turning it upside down and using as a trellis.

• CFields59
    9 years ago

You are one busy lady. If you prime that coat rack and then paint it with metal paint, it should hold up. You might even, lastly, put a coat of sealer on it. I love your watermelon million bells. Are they perennials?

• CFields59
    9 years ago

You are one busy lady. If you prime that coat rack and then paint it with metal paint, it should hold up. You might even, lastly, put a coat of sealer on it. I love your watermelon million bells. Are they perennials?

• nonacook
    9 years ago

This is a GREAT post! Lots of wonderful 'junque'!

The discs can be made into metal flowers--like the plate flowers, but metal.
    The Primestar dish can be made into a birdbath either painted or with mosiacs. I have not done one but it is on my list to find.
    You have lots of good ideas--Oh, to be young again and have the energy you have LOL
    I have the ideas, but not always the strength to do what I want.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, I feel like I'm old, just turned 31. And I've been putting a clear coat of spray paint or two coats on almost everything. I have another coat rack, too but not sure I have a picture. EXCELLENT idea for the primestar dish, and I know where I can get bunches more of the circular satellite dishes!

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It doesn't look like I posted a finished photo of the high chair planter. Million bells are annual, a hybridized version of petunias, I believe?

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A photo of one of the two completed birdhouses just finished and hung up the other day. These were made from a homemade rabbit live trap made by my uncle but the bottom was rotted, so I cut it in half and used the pieces and a few scrap pieces to make these, a 2 1/2 inch hole bit to make the holes and screws for the little sitting area. I am totally loving rustoleums paint 2x with primer! Big difference when painting wood, only takes one coat with a second light coat.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just did some reassembling of this tonight, secured with different posts and previously used 6 lb test weight fishing line but it wasn't strong enough with wind. It is planted with pink wave petunias. Will be a matching on on the left but painted opposite colors (green on pot, purple on frame). All from junk. Junk window frames that I sanded and painted, this pot is from something my MIL threw in our shared dumpster, a bucket from her ice cream maker, other bucket same thing, thrown in dumpster but similar size and shape.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closeup of framed flower pot.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is only kind of junk. My MIL bought me this four foot tall flamingo for my birthday and I found a cheap hanging pot and painted it pink and planted with my wintersown "double madness blue" petunias.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spray painted some of the large rocks from our driveway and placed them on a stump that I was going to carve but never have. My 18 month old likes to get into these.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A hollow log planter, kind of PITA to keep watered though :)

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really want this! Photo isn't the greatest but it was a cell phone drive by shot. Its some kind of old wagon. You can see the old wooden seat on the left and all the heavy duty metal rims. This is in an old cattle pasture near where I live and my MIL is sort of related to the property owner but he is kind of odd, so don't know how feasible it is that I can ever procure it. It is super cool though.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was an air filter from the combine that I stole from the dumpster. I should have painted it with primer paint first so some of the paint is coming off. Can I paint it with primer now and get it to stay on better or would I have to remove the first layer of paint first?

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our entertainment center that hubby no longer wanted and said I could use in the garden. We took the heavy metal shelves and glass shelf off. I thought maybe grow something tall through the hole in the bottom and something vining up the back?

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My deer and purple salvia which may be my new favorite garden addition.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other coat hanger to be painted and used as a trellis. Don't you like how I "store" things in my black-eyed susans :)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner