Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

My latest glass garden totems

luckygal
14 years ago

Have been busy all week trying to reduce my stash of glass and made 5 totems (plus the two little ones in my fairy garden which are on a separate thread). These vary from 32" to 48" in height.

The quality of the pics isn't the best but it started to rain so I rushed it.

The one totem isn't finished as it was the last one and really needs embellishing. Have to find some glass bits for it.

Here's my slideshow link:

Here is a link that might be useful: My latest garden totems

Comments (18)

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

SPECTACULAR. That first one with the golden bird is really breath-taking. You are a Totem Queen for sure. What great pieces you find and design.
    I'd love to put these in our Totem inspiration album, but Shutterfly won't let me copy and save them. Can you send to me another way? And your mini fairy totems too. My email is sangareeKS at aol.

I'm going back for yet another look, so much to enjoy on your totems.
    hugs, Karen

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

Fantastic pieces arranged in fantastic ways to make fantastic totems that are......FANTASTIC!!!!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Wow!! Love them all, but especially the blue and green one!! And the yellow bird is awesome! Is he a purfume bottle? Looks a lot like some old Avon bottles I have! What a great job!

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen, glad you enjoyed the pics altho I'm sure I'm more a totem addict than queen! I think I've made at least 40 of the things by now but sold a lot of them. I sent you my photobucket addy, hope that works.

Thank you Susie, I always think other people find better glass than I do altho lately I've scored some fairly decent stuff.

Marlene, glad you like them. That blue and green one is my fav also. You are correct that the yellow bird is an Avon bottle. I was fortunate to find someone who just wanted them gone so got a box of them for 25¢ each. The blue top is also Avon and the pink top on the fairy umbrella.

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

WOW Luckgal. They are just utterly jaw dropping. The golden bird close up just made me say ohhhh. All of your pieces, they way you have layered them and the combinations are stunning. Love the irredesent plate & angel...can't imagine how they will look with the sun bouncing off them. And the last one with the blue topper, I can see why you would keep that,I had to go back & forth a few times to relook.....whew... I need a cigarette after that slide show...LOL...judy

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Oh my my. Lovely totems you have made for your garden. Yhe golden bird and the blue bell? made up perfectly in your totems.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I got your photobucket link, LG. Thanks. I will copy the pix and put them in our inspiration album later tonight.

I need to make another totem, LOL, I found a crystal unicorn head the other day and instantly thought Totem Topper. Darn addictive things!
    That's wonderful you can sell some. No one likes them but me here it seems.

hugs, Karen

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Judy, I LOL at your last comment, thanks so much!

Thank you Katie.

Oh good, Karen, glad you got the link cause I just discovered I've forgotten my PW for that email! Ugh! Now you all know I'm a computer dork. I doubt this "hobby" can ever be finished. While I've used all my vases and plates I still have 2 lovely crystal horses that I got really cheap but googled and they sell for about $50. each. Have to use those for totem toppers! I don't make much money on totems but can make costs back plus a bit. Better than some hobbies I think and I love yard saling and there is so much glass available really inexpensively.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

luckygal...you're one busy "Totem Queen!" (addict, hee hee...funny how that spreads on this site!) My fav is the irediscent angel...ohhhh, that will look so pretty in the sunshine! TFS your pics! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

They are all so lovely! I like how you showcase pieces within clear glass. Does the one totem have a little crystal elephant on top?

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Luckygal,

Love your totems too! Now, i have a question for you about encasing other pieces within another---do you find that they get condensation inside them? If so or not how do you go about making them sealed so they do not? Also, I don't know if you know this trick---if you ever buy a piece of glass or have a favorite totem that has been exposed to hard water (calcium deposits) you can soak in white distilled vinegar and it will come right off. ...Have you ever seen my totems? I have link but will post it if you have not. ....

Love, Jules

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

They're all really beautiful! I haven't made any that tall.

• gingerbunnies
    14 years ago

I love them. Can I ask do you have your pieces glued together some how? I have been looking at all the wonderfull totems on this site and am thinking about making one. But i am wondering if they are glued at all

• leveta
    14 years ago

You done a great job...Love that gold one...

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for not responding sooner - sometime life gets in the way of computer time! ;-)

Jeanne, I've been making totems for about 4 years and tried several times to quit! LOL Good thing it's not an unhealthy addiction! I've received so much inspiration from lurking on this forum that I wanted to show others what I do even tho I'm not a good photographer.

Thanks Luna, yes there is a little crystal elephant on that one.

Jules, I'd love to see your link. While I lurk here from time to time I've missed a lot I'm sure. About condensation - I only make totems when the humidity is low. I also make sure the figurine is glued to it's base and dries for at least a day. I think GE Silicone II may have moisture in it so that's why I wait. I also always do a continuous bead of glue so there are no gaps.

Thanks Laura, it's really not difficult to make tall totems but I use a level now or they can get pretty wonky. Trial and error is a great teacher!

Ginger, I always use GE Silicone II and it's always worked for me. Do try a totem, they are so much fun.

Thanks, Leveta! I knew that gold bird would be perfect for a totem as soon as I saw it in a YS.

• desertrat1
    14 years ago

Luckygal,
    AHA! A continuous bead of GE II silicone and no gaps are the trick....I have a few with condensation and I hate that they are like that. Just don't want to make ones like that so I don't have to worry about it....
    Ok, so I'll post here a link to mine.....When you go there scroll down past the two videos to see the various albums--one has quite a few....
    Love, Jules

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Rat's Website

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Jules, I need to check the Totem album. I think I may have missed putting yours in there (as I just found out I did Marlene's and Smick's). Photobucket being a pain tonight, I'll work on this more tomorrow.

hugs, Karen

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Luckygal, the totem bug bit you hard, and in a good way!!! They are all so beautiful, and unlike any others I've seen. I just love that about totems .... always surprising me at the colors, shapes, and combinations! ~tenderlee

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz