Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aptruncata

Sidewalk trash to new outdoor sink

aptruncata
10 years ago

I've been day dreaming about a outdoor sink for couple years now. I didn't want anything new from the box stores, i wanted something that was made from old cast iron or even porcelaine. functional, barebone and weather proof. I once grabbed a $10 porcelaine sink from habitate for humanity for this purpose but wife didn't approve so that was that, until this weekend.
I found a stainless sink, complete with a nice faucet on the sidewalk, in a rundown part of downtown Los Angeles. It was dirtier than hell, with rusted brackets, 3 dead roaches in the sink and still partically attached to its 8 ft counter. A good kick and the sink was detached. Pulled the rear seats down and 20mins later i was home with a weekend project. (didn't tell wife about the dead roaches until we got home) Couple of couplings, some scrap cedar wood, deck screws, left over woodstain from 3 seasons back, a retired hose and 4 hours; me and the wife made ourselves a new (to us) outdoor sink.

enjoy.

Comments (18)

• Desrtdove
    10 years ago

WOW! Gorgeous! Can't believe that was a throw away sink!! Great job! I'm sure the wife is super happy with it! Simply lovely! Thanks for sharing your success!

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

That looks great! Very well made & should make garden chores a lot easier!! Great that you can put a large container in sink & rinse it out since the neck of faucet is high, What luck finding the perfect sink for your garden!! Looks like you have a green thumb, too. Might need to show us couple of pics of garden!! Jan

• aussie_mum
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Great find! :) You've turned it into a wonderful area! I am slightly green! LOL!

Thanks for sharing the photo!

• patty2430
    10 years ago

Looks great!! I have an old peach/pink bathroom sink just waiting for a good home in our yard. Probably not for running water; just a conversation piece.

• patty2430
    10 years ago

Looks great!! I have an old peach/pink bathroom sink just waiting for a good home in our yard. Probably not for running water; just a conversation piece.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

That is quite lovely. The tall faucet will certainly come in handy and what a great find that was. Curb shopping is sooo much fun!

• jlily
    10 years ago

What a wonderful project.! T2T. Congratulations on a job well done! TYFS Jlily

• chelcass
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I have two stainless steel sinks I got from a B&B I worked at. One is made into a potting bench and the other is set up for my pond. I use a pond pump to run the water thru the faucet. Love em!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Wonderful addition to your garden. Congrats on seeing the potential.
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Wow! That looks awesome! What a great looking sink and what a useful addition to your patio and garden area.

Great job!

• nanagrandma
    10 years ago

I really like this project I am going to show it to my hubby, maybe we can make something like this. You did a great job and a great find!

• aptruncata
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments! I used all scrap wood to build it too. The ironic part about it is that, and i'm ashamed to admit it, that sink and faucet is waayyy better than what we have in our kitchen. I use it every morning to come out and wash my veggies before i put them in the juicer.
    Hope everyone finds one for themselves on the curb!

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

That is fabulous. I've been wanting a potting table with sink. you have inspired me to do something about it. What a wonderful job you have done.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    10 years ago

Great job and very useful!

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Curious as to the plumbing, is it plumbed directly also waste disposal?? have often thought of similar but ideal location is far from a plumbing tap Thanks gary

• aptruncata
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary,

One of the main reasons i wanted a outdoor sink was to reuse the water for my plants. I consume alot of fruits and veggies throughout the week and the water required just to rise them really can be reused to water my garden. I have both drains connected to a Y-pipe then to a old garden hose which i move around at my leisure to water at a particular time. Some times it's the persimon tree other times its the hedges, bamboo, citrus, honeysuckle, birds of paradise and so forth.
    I don't eat meat or dairy products and use biodegadeable soap for those who may be concerned.
    So, to answer your question; the sink is not officially "plumbed". =).

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Was thinking of building the cabinet large enough to contain unused pots and maybe an area for seed trays .
    sort of an entire potting bench maybe large enough to store potting materials The main problem is that the neasest tap is on the other side of 20 feet of concrete so underground will be difficult . dislike the idea of above ground even though my clime would allow it. As to the waste could always use a dry well
    already have the sink and tap as we replaced the kitchen ones Would sure keep a lot more mess outdoors lol
    thanks for the reply gary

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

You must be pretty handy you really did a great job on it. I think in the long run you will be happier with s.s. than porcelain. The latter tends to break things that get dropped in them by accicent.

I much prefer to wash veggies from the garden outside as I always reuse that water for plants and that saves carrying it back out. And you dont have to be so careful, who cares if you splash a bit. We have a single burner on the grill and I do a lot of cooking and prep of food around veggie harvest time, outdoors. More room to work, saves messing and heating up the kitchen, and not so far to carry all the scraps. Besides I'd rather be outside, too :)

Great job on the sink.