Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafor

Need ideas for my great find!

rafor
13 years ago

I was at a lumber yard this weekend that was having a tent sale. I bought a box of cobalt blue glass fence post toppers. You know, those square things with angle tops to finish off the top of a fence post. Sometimes they are made of copper often of wood. So now what do I do with them??? They are really gorgeous!

Comments (20)

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

well I looked at one first...the first thing that came to mind is if you could put some type of solar light under it? And make some garden lighting?

Here is a link that might be useful: fence post example

• rafor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes that is exactly what they look like! I thought about putting a small string of clear Xmas lights in them, but DH then asked what I would do when the string burned out?? So if I did that I would need to be able to get at the lights again to replace them. I also thought about using them to top a white fence and then plant a red climbing rose along the fence: the red, white and blue theme :)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Red, white & blue theme sounds nice!! They are beautiful!!
    Will be fun to see what you do with them! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Those are gorgeous! I agree having some sort of light under them would be great but you could even find a way to shine light from behind or upward through them. I imagine with a light lit behind them, they would appear to glow. Be sure to post pictures once you come up with something!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

Use LED Christmas lights.

They last 100,000 hours and they use very little electricity.

dcarch

• rafor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'm still thinking...and it hurts :)

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I think the best use for them is on a box...sent to me!!!!!lol!

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I meant IN a box....!?!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful....
    Hope you got them for a good price at the tent sale.

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Wow you were really in the right place at the right time. Those are beautiful. I bet they were $$$ before the sale.

I agree they would be beautiful with light. I wonder how hard it would be to silicone them together in a box shape, Or incorporate them into a concrete or hypertufa something, with a light inside or the natural sunlight shining through.
    How many did you get?

• rafor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have 8 of them. That's all the blue ones they had. They also had green ones and dark amber ones, but I love cobalt blue so those were the only ones I had to have.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Oh boy, I hope you can incorporate "blue bottles" with this project, too1 They would look awesome tog.! Have fun, you lucky GJer! Jeanne S.

• sandy1186
    13 years ago

How about using solar lights. You can get the cheap ones that stick in the ground at Wal-mart and just use the solar part. Stick it under the glass. I have also seen the same thing done with old Ball jars. Good luck!

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

That sounds like an awesome find! I'm all for the red white and blue theme -- it's always easier when you have the blue in your "architecture" since it's so hard finding true blue flowers!

• sewobsessed
    13 years ago

Wow, great find!
    How about gluing a few together and making something like a towering pagoda - maybe an upside down pot for the base so it sits higher(with lights inside a few levels)? Plant pot feet, if the pots sit up on something so you could see them? Glued on a wall all together in a diamond shape? Wow, the possibilities...have fun with them!

• lindasewandsew
    13 years ago

Holes can easily be drilled in the glass using a diamond drill bit, maybe at a corner. String them on a line with lights behind them at night and the sun shining through during the day. They could be hung across or up and down. Only the bottom glass in the photo is drilled.

The drill bits are available at all the hardware stores and are a little pricey, but each one will drill well over a hundred pots or bottles. It's best to keep the item wet while drilling so the bit doesn't overheat. I use a bucket with just enough water to cover the part being drilled. Safety glasses and gloves!! Linda

{{gwi:130127}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond drill bit

• the-light-lady
    13 years ago

I would use at least one for the top of a blue & clear glass totem. A blue vase would look great with a couple of clear pieces & that for the top with a solar light underneath it.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

You know, I think they could be used as what they are originally made for...buy some treated 4x4 posts & cut them at various links...pick out a garden spot where the sun will shine thru them the most...and then dig a trench & plant the posts tog touching each other ...so you have 8 4x4 posts planted at diff hts. Then plant some of your fav perennials in front of the posts & enjoy the view! Would be awesome in any garden spot! Jeanne S.

• rafor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was thinking of getting some of those vinyl fence posts. They are hollow and would be easy to put lights in and then cap them with the blue glass. Though this doesn't seem very creative! It's my default option :)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Sounds creative to me, rafor! Would be very lovely in a garden with some bright flowers ...you were talking red, white & blue...so white posts, blue caps & some great red geramiums or bee balm or petunias would look great planted with it! Have fun...please share pics when finished! Jeanne S. (Could even put a few blue bottles somewhere in the area) LOL!