Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardnlvr50

What would you plant in here?

gardnlvr50
9 years ago

I have an old rusty hibachi like the one in the picture. What would you plant in it? Is there anything that would benefit from the rust? What about the grate?

Comments (9)

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

That is darling. Succulents would probably do well. Assuming it has some sort of drainage in the bottom. Not sure what you could do with the grate. Draw bridge in a Fairy garden??

• User
    9 years ago

I would plant succulents in it. I would use the grate to sit pots on in order for them to drain. Now I'll be on the lookout for an old hibachi grill. Hope you'll post a picture once you've finished planting in the grill.

• ponderpaul
    9 years ago

I would go to a garden center and let my imagination run wild ;-)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I love succulent gardens.
    It would also work for a small fairy garden.
    A bonsai would also look really good in it.
    You could line it with heavy plastic to keep the contact with the metal less just put drain holes in the bottom.

• luvs2click
    9 years ago

Succulents like sedums, hen & chicks, etc. would be easy care - not needing much water at all. (be sure to poke holes in bottom) but I think it would look neat with celosia that looks like flames. That is an annual, meaning you'd have to replant it every year but they're cheap. Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: plumed celosia

• gardnlvr50
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Celosia would be grand! I like the idea of succulents, too. Thanks!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Oh there's this really beautiful red succulent called the campfire plant it would look awesome in it. Google it for images, just a real show stopper.
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the linked post there's a beautiful one in a wheelbarrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campfire plant

• new_user123_1553
    9 years ago

succulant fairy garden....problem solved:) seriously both would look great. The grate , could you use it on a water feature where water runs down the grate into something filled with rocks ?? geeme

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

If it's cast iron I don't know how much luck you would have making holes in the bottom, Maybe put rocks or pebbles in & dirt on top so succulents would do well but couldn't leave out where it rains all the time or they would rot. I love the shape of it, could use grate turned up on end at back of it so a succulent could climb up it! Jan

Sponsored