Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_kelly6949112

Building an outdoor screened room (kinda long with some junk).

Barbara Kelly
14 years ago

This might be the wrong forum, but I didn't see anywhere it might fit either..lol

So, last year, I bought a carport. One of the metal roof, and leg kind you see everywhere. I got a great deal on ebay for windows, I bought 33 for 30 bucks. I was saving them for a greenhouse, but used them here. I put two rows of windows across the back, the wide, drive under part. Then screened it from there up. On one side (the leg side) I put two windows in each opening framed out. Then screened the top.. The back side is full screens because thats where my kitchen counter (picked up at yard sale) ref and microwave are. Also a propane stove, I have yet to get to work..lol There is a gravel floor in there with large sisal carpets. I'm working on the doors getting them hung (no small feat) straight. I will have lots of room for entertaining, and playing music bug free.

An excellent place to build my totems, and other fun stuff.

Most of this is from junk stuff, I will post some pictures when I'm done.

BTW I've done it all myself, hubbs is off working. I must be tougher than I thought.. LOL

I was just resting, and thought you all would enjoy this.

Comments (37)

• leveta
    14 years ago

Kudos to you...That sounds like a great place to have fun in. I know you have to be proud to see such an accomplishment...Can't wait for the pic...

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

That sounds so cool...I hope you will post pictures soon. I would really like to see it. I have been wanting to build something that I can screen in and enjoy in the nice weather. This sounds like just the thing.

~Micki~

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Very impressive amount of work, and planning out. Good job.
    I can't wait to see it too. Sounds like the perfect place to entertain and make garden junk.

If you can bottle up a little of that energy and send it to me, I'd be forever grateful. LOL.
    hugs, Karen

• caroleena
    14 years ago

thats great! i'd love to have one of those carports but i live in the city and our mayor and city council won't allow those within the city limits. boo-hoo

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Sounds great, Can't wait to see it. I envy your "outdoor" studio space.
    kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I loved screened rooms! You can enjoy the great outdoors without the bugs. I'd love to see a picture of your creation. I can't believe you got such a fantastic deal on those windows! Yowza! Lucky girl! Make sure you take pictures so you can make us all green with envy!

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Sounds just wonderful! I'm sure you will enjoy your outside getaway! Can't wait to see pictures!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

We LOVE W.I.P (Work In Progress) pics!!!!hint hint....;-)

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, here's a bit of the progress, these are the first wall/window/screens going up. More in a few days, I hope to have most of it done by next weekend.
    {{gwi:143276}}
    {{gwi:143277}}

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Yep, definitely impressive! Your DH must be awfully proud of you for doing this all by yourself.

hugs, Karen

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

Wow I am really amazed. That is a lot of work! I can't imagine doing that all by myself. You should be extremely proud of your hard work!!! Great job and I bet you will have many hours of fun in your new room!

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

Wow, that is great and will be even greater finished....I like that.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Wow!! Everything looks like you have it very straight & amazing that the windows fit so well. Will be a great place for all kinds of activity or just enjoying the outdoors bugfree! Bet DH thought you were a keeper when he got home!! Of course he may leave all the hard jobs for you now that he knows you can do them!! Jan

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Love it, and the fact that you made it happen! Way to go! I'm envious, and would love an outdoor enclosed space like that because it could be used for many purposes. It is taking on its own personality quickly, the windows are perfect! Look forward to seeing what else you do with it. ~T

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Well now girl, this is a project worth seeing. Great job so far. Oh the power of a woman. I'm looking at my patio in a different light.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

This is definitely GARDEN JUNK in FULL SCALE form!!! Awesome, dulci! You are creating "windows" to your world of GJ! Great project & keep those WIP pics comin'! What a space to GJ in & enjoy cookin'! Great find and save on windows! When you're ready to screen, I hope DH or someone will be around...that's a-ways up on a ladder! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, yes, it is way up on the ladder. The hardest part is screwing into the metal frame of the carport to hold the lathe strips, which holds the screen.
    Here's a new, this weeks progress picture. I even splurged and bought some furniture for my seating area. I only have the front and one side panel to put up. And of course another door..lol
    BTW, your looking at screens from the windows up on all sides.. the screen stays up very nicely with gorilla glue double sided carpet tape. Gotta love that stuff, I couldn't do it by myself without it.
    I've just decided, looking at the picture, the flags are coming down.. Not quite elegant enough for my new area...LOL
    {{gwi:143278}}

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This weeks photo is above, thought I'd cange the subject to note the new picutes.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

OMgosh, dulci... you are GOOD!!! Your outdoor room is just wonderful! Love the additional splurge of new furniture...but I also love the beautiful old table...your hanging blings & everything! (minus the flags as you said...I agree) Great work! TFS your WIP! You are just going to be spending all your "indoor" time "outdoors!" Jeanne S. ...oh, yah, LOVE THE VIEW of the trees out the windows! Great space!

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today's update: I found this pretty piece of stained glass at my TS, and added it to my transom. I haven't installed the door yet, its just propped up.. lol I think it was worth the 10 dollar price tag, and a nice piece of junk it is.
    There will be screen all around it, but not today, I'm taking my grands to the movies!

{{gwi:143279}}
    {{gwi:143280}}

• leveta
    14 years ago

I love the red chairs...I looks greatttt as tony the tiger says. You done good...

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

All I can say is WOW!!! You are doing a great job! And that is quite a project to undertake by yourself! Love the hanging light globes, the new furniture, the red cushions and the stained glass is wonderful! You are AMAZING!!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Amazing. Love the stained glass, New furniture, plants. Wow

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Just love how it's coming along! I know you're already enjoying it a lot! ~tenderlee

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Lets have a party! You are amazing.
    Its so inviting. And a great place to make projects.
    kathy

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

WOW WOW WOW...all of it..$10 for the stained glass is a STEAL...That is gonna be one amazing hang out outdoor space...you are a very talented woman..Puff ya chest out w/ pride on that job !!Love how you're decorating w/ the hanging bling in there too. what fun you'll have finding things when you're done. About the screening...I have a long front porch w/ wrought iron rails & a tin rood like the shed that I would love to screen.Summers here near the lake are filled w/ skeeters & nats. I was trying to see how you sttached the screen to the roof line & sides. I read double stick gorilla tape.
    Did you just kinda fold it & stick it along the top?? your DH & grands must be so proud of you Great job

• Barbara Kelly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jitterbug,
    I don't know how your roof is attached, but I just rolled the tape on the edge, stuck the edge of the screen to it, then came back and put lathe strips on to hold it permanantly.
    Double stick carpet tape is my friend. I love the stuff, except it ruins my sissors lol takes a lot of trying to remove that gummy stuff.
    If I'm reading you right, you might want to put a 2x4 frame around the whole thing and run the screen on that.
    Thanks for your encouragement.
    Hubby won't see this until it's done. He's off working in Mississippi.. But expected here for ftwo weeks for the 4th of July.

this is also going to be our summer bedroom, or actually our guests. I think it will be nice, and worth all the work. I can't wait to have a music get-together and play all afternoon bug free!

• curtsgoatfarm
    14 years ago

WOW oh WOW.... that is so wonderful... and to think we gave all our windows away when we got the new ones...*sigh

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

were are u at florida??? great work..

• cait1
    14 years ago

This is AMAZING!!!!! I am extremely impressed and DH should be, too!! Gosh, it gets hot enough to sleep outside? I think I miss those days.

Though I think this isn't where you'll be making stuff anymore!! LOL You've really gussied it up and found wonderful bargains to pretty-ize it. Fantastic job!!

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Bumping this up---
    See her new post on the conversations side.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

WOW! LOVE the whole project! Gives me soooo much food for thought now! I can see something percolating/brewing in my mind! I am never outside at night cuz the bugs think I have The Fav Blood! I'm liking the idea of screening...

• User
    13 years ago

That is going to be the envy of the neighborhood.

• tbledsaw
    13 years ago

I want one!!! It looks AMAZING!

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

This is one of my favorite posts! I just wish we could make it to Miami Dade Hurricane Code because THAT is what we have to live up to. I know it is for our own good but I still admire this!

• princess_mimi
    13 years ago

WOW! That is fabulous! WOW! I'm at a loss for words. WOW!

~~Mimi

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Nona, thanks for bumping this up. Dulci's room was so wonderful and sure deserves to be seen and enjoyed by all our new members!!
    Tho a bit bittersweet for us in light of her 'news'.
    She's an amazing woman!

hugs, Karen

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living