Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maozamom

Old window greenhouse

maozamom NE Ohio
16 years ago

I thought I'd share with you my new greenhouse made with old windows. It's not quite done yet.

{{gwi:141416}}

Comments (49)

• garden-potter
    16 years ago

I absolutely LOVE it!! Last year, I think someone from this forum was looking for plans for a greenhouse made out of old windows - that is perfect! Is it in the ground at all? Please take interior photos once you get it all dolled up! Great job!!

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

WOW wonderful!!!!!!! I love it!!!!

• foxygrandma9
    16 years ago

All I can say is WOW! Love it, such a great job.

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Now THAT'S a greenhouse:) It's so purty!! Yes, I'm jealous,lol! Great job!

• craftyjanjan
    16 years ago

Wow!! I love it. I've wanted one for awhile now. I wonder if I show my DH, if he'll finally agree its a good idea. It's so pretty.

• robolady
    16 years ago

Loooovvvve it!!!!! and the shutters are a cute addition to the front. I will be snagging this one for my web page .

Here is a link that might be useful: my site

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

That is great....I suddenly remember that my parents had a greenhouse made of windows.....I need to find a picture in my stuff. I was already in my late 30s so it may be buried...wow, never thought of that until now...thanks for the memories...Yours is great. Good job.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Wow, Wow and Wow, that is fantastic. Excellent Job.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

You have created my dream greenhouse!!! I have saved 6 windows... Please let us know how you did it...

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Absolutely FABULOUS!!! I am green with envy. I'm saving windows but my yard is so small that I have nowhere to put one even if I could build it. You did such a great job and it is very pretty!

~~Mimi

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Very Awesome!!! Way to go! I'd sit in there everyday with a tea/coffee and soak up the morning sun!!!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That is just a darling greenhouse. Love how you added the shutters. Luvs

• emagineer
    16 years ago

I am in awe...and am the one that had asked about doing this. How did you connnect the windows? Is there an inside frame? It is beyond beautiful.

• decompost
    16 years ago

Absolutely sensational!!
    What a charming structure . . . I want one!!

:-D

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    16 years ago

It's wonderful! Great job. Do tell us more about it.

I have about 17 old windows in the barn. Begged for a greenhouse made of them. DH decided it was too much trouble to frame them, that a better plan was a Harbor Freight GH. The basic greenhouse is very inexpensive -- electricity, water and making it sturdier ran the bill 'way up! We used as much junk as we could, even to the chandelier!

I still aspire to some kind of garden shed using all those old windows.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: My Greenhouse.

• cait1
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS!! Great job with the construction - will we get the 'how-to'? I'm also curious to know how you attached the windows together.
    Cait

• rebel_one
    16 years ago

What can I say that hasn't already been said! I love it.

• lefd05
    16 years ago

That is so cool!!! Very nice!!
    How did you fasten it all together so it is stable??
    Are there 2x4's on the inside where the frames meet?

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This should be good for a number of laughs. We have very little carpentry skills. Neither of us have ever built any thing with a roof before, not even a dog house. One corner is sitting on the ground, we stacked bricks and concrete to level it on the slope. We didn't use 2x4's at the corners because they would of showed. We bought and used a slide bolt to connect the door windows to make a dutch door, we bought two sets of hinges for the door. We salvaged a set of hinges for one of the roof windows. The door windows and roof windows were picked up from the curb, and we paid $3.00 for the windows on sides and back but only used half. The main expense was the 2x4's, those we couldn't find.

If anyone lives near Orrville, Ohio and would like our extra windows you're welcome to pick them up.

{{gwi:143303}}

{{gwi:143304}}

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

Hey Mao Tse Mom! You could bring those extra windows to the swap! Are you coming this year?

Hope to see you there!

~~Mimi

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Mao Tse MOM That is such a funny name to me only becauce I use to own a Siamese Cat that stuck its toungue out all the time . We named him MEOW (T)SEE TOUNGUE!
    Love your window work Too hot in Florida to be behind that much glass but it is truly AWESOME and way useful up north!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ROBOLADY- You're very welcome to use my pictures. I love your site

I'll be there Mimi, but unlike the rest of the free world we drive a car. WE just might have a door prize made from two windows if it fits in the back seat.

My DH was a pushover when it came to discipling the kids but I was much more strict. My son compared me with Chairman Mao. He's the one who set up my first e-mail account. You can tell we have the same sense of humor.

Mao

• jennie_in_mt
    16 years ago

Hi Mao and all! I am generally a lurker, but wanted to bump this up and get an update.
    I loved this idea and the way you arranged yours and was inspired. How did your greenhouse fair over the winter?

Jennie

• tehuti
    16 years ago

What a great greenhouse. It has a style missing in those commercial ones of years ago. Woonderful work. Congrats!

Robert

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    16 years ago

We so need an update! I do hope it fared well through the winter.

My little greenhouse with the polycarb panels shook in the wind when the storms came through last week and pieces flew off because I was in there with the door open -- not to worry, they were easily replaced.

Do you have little seedlings growing inside, waiting for warmer weather? I imagine it makes a good 'playhouse' when the sun shines, to sit in out of the wind. Such fun.
    Nell

• tskdesign
    16 years ago

Way to go, mao_tse_mom!

About eight years ago I put one together out of old windows, too. I put an ad in the paper asking for old windows, and a nice fellow who was changing all the windows in his house gave the old ones to me for free!

All the wood I salvaged from the beach after a storm one winter. And the shakes come from a roofing job~ also free.

The only thing I paid for was the plastic sheeting on top, and the poles to support it. After using it for several years as a wonderful greenhouse, I made it into a workshop. It was wonderful as a workshop, too~ with all the light.

{{gwi:143305}}

• shasta_2008
    15 years ago

I love it! What a great idea!

• KellyFG
    15 years ago

great job!! i love it, here is mine before it was complete...made out of windows, a slider & an entry door with side lights
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6da35b3127cce8831c3b1021a00000045138AYtnDdy3bs0

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Kelly, Lovely!!!

• holliewould
    15 years ago

They are all neato mosquito. Kellyfg do you have pics of yours complete?

• shawneegal
    15 years ago

What a lovely greenhouse and it is great that you used something that was not wanted any longer to build something useful. Great job

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

I loved that window greenhouse so much that this morning i posted an add in freecycle asking for old windows. I've already heard back from someone who has a bunch I can have! I'm on my way! So I'd love more detailed instructions for framing it out. And do you all just have them sitting on the ground or are they concreted in or anything? We've been having some nasty tornadoes (nothing in our neighborhood...knock on wood) around here, I'd hate to think of this thing flying around out there if a tornado came through!

TIA!
    Robin

• joyce_zone5
    15 years ago

Great job!! I've always wanted to build one of these!

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The greenhouse made it through the winter fine. It's filled with seedlings and liners now. It's directly on the ground with old bricks and tiles leveling it. I need to adjust it again so the door will close, no big deal.

mao

• cacbeary
    15 years ago

What an awesome greenhouse. It's beautiful as well as functional.

• mulch_heavy
    15 years ago

You shoudl be very happy with what you have managed there. It is a great looking greenhouse.
    I have just got my hands on a bunch of old windows and sliding glass doors, and am planning on building one myself soon. Hope it turn out as well as yours

• temeculamom
    15 years ago

This is unbelievable awesome!

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

What a wonderful idea for old windows and a greenhouse. Now if only I could find some!

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

do you have any recent photos of your WONDERFUL greenhouse? Now that it has been over a year I would like to see how it is looking.

• garianntx
    15 years ago

It's incredible! I've always wanted one of those. Years ago I saw a pic in a magazine and cut it out. I just have no room for one because our pool takes up too much space.

Love it!!

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

What a great thread, glad it got bumped up. Oh how I would love to have one (or one hundred) of these! Great idea and beautiful too! ~tenderlee

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How appropriate that I saw this came back up when my DH was making some repairs to the greenhouse. The lower window of the door fell apart and just today we bought cedar shingles to cover the plywood at the gable peaks. I'll throw some paint on it and we'll be ready to go for another year.
    {{gwi:143306}}From Chick coop

I accidentally put this picture in the wrong folder. If you want to work backwards you can see our latest trash to treasure project, the chicken house / garden shed. I'm really happy with how the old porch posts look as potting bench legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: a cottage for my garden

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

mao ... your transformation of the ck coop into a garden shed is wonderful! Love all the additions of shutters, flower boxes, paint & porch post for legs looks so cool! ... and glad your window greenhse held up...love them both! Great work! My DH & I are going to work on my garden shed this summer...doors need replaced & I salvaged a big old wooden one with a window! Here's a pic of mine...formerly a ck. coop like yours! Thanks for sharing your pics! Jeanne S. The potting bench I posted before & walkway I put in last summer:

{{gwi:130272}}

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update, mao_tse_mom! It still looks great and I love what you did with the chicken coop too!

• becki_in_la
    15 years ago

Where does everyone find all the windows?

• leveta
    15 years ago

It all looks so good...So summeryyyyyyyy....

• maozamom NE Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's been five years since we built this and I thought I'd do a follow up.

The windows on the far side of the roof were replaced this year and we're looking to replace the ones on this side. It's newly painted and looking good. The biggest chance is in the garden around it. No more grass, just flowers and path. {{gwi:143307}}From june 1 2012

• Rachel Rooker
    7 years ago

Do you have a place where all of your images can be found? Some of your links no longer work @ Maozamom.