Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafor

concrete countertops

rafor
11 years ago

I just picked up 3 concrete countertops free on craigslist. I'm going to turn at least one of them into a potting bench.

Got pipes today to make a base for the countertop to sit on and I have an old copper vessel sink that I will fit over the small drain hole. This particular top is turned upside down in the pic. Haven't decided quite what to do with the other two. One is very Zen looking and I may just plop it in the garden. Love the slate drainboard on the third one. Might sit a tub for dirt over that opening and make a second potting bench.

{{gwi:143471}}

base in the making:

{{gwi:143472}}

Will post pics of the finished project if anyone is interested :)

Comments (27)

• diggery
    11 years ago

Are you kiddin? Everyone will be interested! Oh what a find. Please do post pics when you're done. I have a makeshift potting bench on it's last legs & have been searching for materials to build the *perfect* one for 2 yrs now with no luck. Hear me when I say....this.is.it.

Unfortunately craigslist is not too popular in our neck o' the woods *sigh*. I confess to having... um... conned the spouse into taking a day trip just to pick up a 'find' a couple hrs away. Tripped myself up last time when I insisted on taking the truck when he wanted to drive the car, lol. He was a good sport tho & only mentioned I was 'had' after my treasure was home & unloaded.

jealous here,
    ~digger

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Great finds! Your base is looking real good! & solid! Nice recycling! This will be pretty cool! TFS! Jeanne S.

• suprneko
    11 years ago

Oh I am jealous!! Can't wait to see the end product. :)

• jlily
    11 years ago

That's a wonderful use -they will last forever. I certainly want to see your completed project. Thank you for sharing!
    Jlily

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Great materials for the garden. Look natural & so easy to clean, just grab the hose. If you wanted to they have some neat concrete stains that can give them a great look for the garden. DS used 1 on his front steps & people stop & come up to his house as looks like Italian marble, he even rolled the edges of the steps(he had enlarged them so you could back up without falling off so more like small patio & then 2nd narrower step to patio. Added mosaic panels in cement on sides/risers? so you could see those from the street) so lots you can do to jazz these up or great as is!! Jan

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

sunnyca emailed me the pic she is talking just above my comment ...& asked me to post it for her.

Sunnyca's pic:

{{gwi:143473}}

• rafor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay finished the first one. Not cheap using those pipes though! Will rethink using a wood base for the next one.

{{gwi:143474}}

Have to go find my copper sink. It's somewhere around here.

Nice stairs sunnyca!!!! Love that look :)

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Oh I LOVE the pipe base...so perfect w/concrete tablecloth...modern look! You did great on this! & cool accessories, too! TFS! Jeanne s.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

WOW!!! I bet if they saw what an awesome thing you did with those tops, they would be kicking themselves!!!! And I have to/want to redo my front entry patio so LOVE seeing Sunnyca's entry!! Very inspiring!

• diggery
    11 years ago

Loving it here too. Has a bit of an industrial look which is highlighted w/your accessories. A very unique creation. I can't imagine how you could improve on it but the very idea of that copper sink near sends me over the edge (hint, hint, more pics later)

Yeah, that pipe's not cheap but I'm sure you'll make the wood version look just as unique in a different way. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

~digger

• sunnyca_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks Jeanne for posting the pic! I think the copper sink would look great with the concrete stained! Calamity, it's my son's home. 1st time he tried something like this! Never did mosaic before either so I thought it came out great! He's more willing to take chances tho if he wants a look! Rafor, sink looks right at home there. Accessories look good with it too. Jan

• rafor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well I found the copper sink up in the attic, but I'm not really liking it on the bench top. I think it's way too big and takes up too much of the useful counter area. Anyone agree?

{{gwi:143475}}

• diggery
    11 years ago

I see your point about the space issue, I do. However, that sink looks AMAZING there. Love the pipe + concrete + copper together & the sink is the star of the show. I'd have to work around it. It's much more than 'just' a potting bench...it's art. (course i'm biased here, as you can see i'm addicted to this thread) You gotta do what works for you but I might actually cry real tears if you remove that sink, lol.

TFS,
    ~digger

• rafor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

digger: I get your point. I am a copper lover too! My goal is copper kitchen countertops...someday :)

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

Well, it looks pretty horrible, I agree...You better just pack it up and send it to me!!!! lol! ;-)

• suprneko
    11 years ago

Does the copper sink fit in the other countertop with the bigger round hole?

The sink looks great right now, for me it would depend on if you needed the counter space for potting mix and whatever.

I love that base you put on! About how much did you spend on the pipe, if you don't mind sharing that info?

• sorie6 zone 6b
    11 years ago

Boy is that concrete counter nice! Love the copper sink too.
    Base looks great.
    Jeanne Love your DS patio!! It is beautiful!!

• kolet66
    11 years ago

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

Those concrete countertops were an incredible find, and I adore the potting bench with the pipe base, AND with the copper sink!!! I love a utilitarian industrial look, but the lovely copper sink adds a bit of flourish to it. Spectacular!

Love your steps, Sunnyca. Very nice. I love southwestern motif.

• chevy57red
    11 years ago

WOW!!!!
    In my dreams!!

• rafor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

suprneko: the pipe was around $140, so expensive for garden junk standards!

The other countertop with the larger hole is now just standing in my garden as a Zen-like sculpture. I don't think I would like the sink on it either. It would sit down in the larger hole somewhat, but not flush with the top.

My next project is a wood and pipe base for the top with the rectangular opening and drainboard in it. Cutting back on the number of pipes needed because of the cost. I'm just going to use them as the cross pieces not as the legs.

• stompoutbermuda
    11 years ago

I wonder if cheaper electrical conduit pipe pipe would work?

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

That copper sink would look perfect if it would sit fluch with the top. Is it possible to shape and enlarge the hole with a hand sander with coarse sandpaper?

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

Rafor...I've been meaning to comment on your awesome concrete countertops for days, but just keep getting sidetracked. Love your table with the one as the top....great work space. I also LOVE the copper sink. I added this picture as another idea for your sink...don't know if it's something you would like or not. Thanks for posting your projects...would also love to see the one in your garden that you're using as a sculpture. The one with the sink cut out seems like it would make a great water feature as well.

{{gwi:143476}}

• suprneko
    11 years ago

rafor - thanks for replying, that is definitely on the spendy side but looks fantastic! Very steampunk.

Is that a birdbath in marlene's pic, I agree the copper sink would make a gorgeous birdbath. :)

• diggery
    11 years ago

Ok...so admittedly I can't bear to see that copper sink removed from the potting bench, lol. But if you absolutely must *sigh* I'm lovin Marlene's idea. I'm thinkin w/your imagination + skill, you could come up with one amazing fountain/birdbath combo using the pipe to conceal the tubing.

Whatever you do...I wanna see!

blessings,
    ~digger

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Wow! I agree ...this is a pc of art! Worth the $$ you spent on the pipe ...& the free concrete defers the cost!!! You did an awesome job, rafor...& the copper sink is gorgeous...I love it there but not if you're going to use this for alot of workspace... TFS the final results! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations