Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Painted screen...

sweets98
17 years ago

I already have a flag screen out on the porch but this will go out there, too :)

This is just a regular old screen. It was in the shed when we moved in and we thought it went in the windows but it doesn't. I had it in the trash last week and then decided to bring it back in and paint it for an extra decoration. I had no idea what I was going to do with it until yesterday at lunch when I was trying to come up with an idea and looked at the wall hanging in the living room and thought...a quilt wall hanging!

I love primitive decor, the homespun printed fabrics, the darker colors and stars so I went from there. I put the star in the center and then went from there. I think it turned out pretty good but it's not laid out perfectly ..oh, well!

{{gwi:143478}}

Comments (28)

• barefootin
    17 years ago

That is awesome! I have seen the painted screens in Baltimore, and always wanted to try one. What kind of paint did you use?..ok..just give me details..LOL..I have a screen door out back that you can come do for me...LOL

You did a wonderful job!

Sherrie

• textilejo
    17 years ago

Very nice! I want to do something on my screen doors but was scared to try it:-)

• Bright199
    17 years ago

I agree it's awsome!!!! I just love all the colors! Where are you going to hang it???

• cait1
    17 years ago

Wow... I would have NEVER thought of that! It's beautiful! I also love the primitive style and have done a number of folk art things. Thanks for sharing this great idea!
    Cait

• sweets98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I painted the screen with primer first but I didn't in the past. I really just wanted it white so I could mark what I needed out and still be able to see it and also so the colors would look more natural and not so dark. Then I used mostly acrylic craft paints. Some of the colors were actually interior paints that I had left over and keep pouring into my craft paint bottles. One coat is all it really takes. I'm going to seal it once I get the frame painted but that's about it!

~Leslie

• barefootin
    17 years ago

I have to confess that I bought a roll of screen at WM just to paint on. That was like 9 months ago..lol I was afraid to start, but, thanks to you Leslie, I just might tackle it now. You really did a great job too. Thanks for sharing, your an inspiration.

Sherrie

• jlily
    17 years ago

What a wonderful quilted screen. It looks really great. Another idea on the long list!! Thanks!! Jlily

• lilpeaches
    17 years ago

Well I would never have thought of painting on a window screen!! Thanks alot!! More work to do!! LOL

• wichitarick
    17 years ago

hi
    definatly top billing.
    just when you thought you saw it all thanks .
    I really like that and also like "primitive" real nice pc.
    saw one that was just copper and silver sponge painted
    did,nt quite have the "look" this does thanks. Rick

• rosepetal2
    17 years ago

very nice Sweets, wish I had an old screen door to paint and use in my garden. You've got the old cogs turning in my brain now!!

Diane

• User
    17 years ago

That is very pretty.

• sweets98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for all the compliments! I think I found a new hobby and it's funny because I painted my first screen about 4 years ago and I hated it! I tried too hard not to have paint fill in the holes and it just gave me a headache! So I didn't touch another one for that long and recently did another flag one for the porch and now this one. I think I have more screens in the shed, however, DH may get angry with me because we'll need them soon! I could check them out and see if any have holes are are looking ratty. I would rather buy new to replace a ratty one than buy a new one just so I have something to paint! LOL

Oh, that reminds me...I have a small one from the window we just replaced this weekend!

Here's the first one I ever did. It's had several homes the last few years but it was actually used in the windows for a bit!
    {{gwi:143479}}

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Sweets!! I love your painted screens! Did you post those on the T2T forum as well? I'm sure they would like to see them too. ~Anj

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Good job Sweets!! Diane, I have a vision of clog shoes riverdancing in your head!LOL!

• rosepetal2
    17 years ago

Well now that explains my headache, and here I thought it was from the caffeine in the chocolate I just ate!!! LOL

• neetsiepie
    17 years ago

You PAINTED that? WOW. This is really, really cool. I never have seen this and now I'm thinking the possibilities are endless!!

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

Now those are way cool!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

Oh my!! That is lovely! Never would have thought of that. Inspiring! I won't be leaving those screens folks throw out at the curb anymore... :)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sweets, Your screens look fantastic. I'd love it if you would post them over on the gallery at the Painting forum. Know the ladies there would love to see them, and they would be a good inspiration for any newbies who come by.

I've got two unused window screens at the side of the house. Now I am thinking I should use them like this. Do you just spray paint the frame? Give me a few tips, since I've never tried this before.

I know I probably won't get to try this until after the holidays--but sure going to keep it in mind.

Luvs

• foxglove44
    17 years ago

I painted sunflowers on a vintage screen. I just used thick acrylic paint on it. It held up outdoors for two years. It's in storage now as I am living in an apt. at this time.
    Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower Patio at my home in Minnesota

• karenforroses
    17 years ago

What a great idea. You folks are so inspiring!

• kat4kittens2002
    17 years ago

very cool idea!! now im on the look out for screens
    thanks for sharing
    kathy

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Love these. Wish I had time to add these to my list but....... Only one lifetime. Very creative and great painting techniques.

• ljl07
    17 years ago

sorry, I'm a new member and dying to see your screens! Where can I see them? Do you still have them posted?

• sweets98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are still in Photobucket and I'm still seeing them. I could possibly e-mail them if you would like.

• loneweever
    17 years ago

Sweets, your flag and quilt are wonderful, and Foxglove's sunflowers too .. what a great idea to see again.

I have a partial roll of aluminum screen - I guess I can just stretch some across the back of an old window frame, staple it and tack thin strips of wood along the edges -- is this what people have done, if they don't have an actual old framed screen?

loneweever

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh, Sweets, I had forgotten about these. There's a new post on here looking for info on painting on screens and windows. I hope she see this post. Luvs

• AnnaPasqualucci_gmail_com
    15 years ago

I came across your 2006 article and wanted to let folks know that Baltimore screen painting is alive and well in 2009. Everything you always wanted to know about the old folk art of screen painting can be found on my website Click the link below to visit me at www.PaintedScreens.synthasite.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna's Painted Screens

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services