Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staking a concrete flower

Posted by loribee2 CA 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 17:32

I'd put this question on the Landscaping forum when someone mentioned Garden Junk might be able to help. DUH! Of course!

I've made this concrete flower that I intend to mosaic and place in my garden:

Photobucket

The original idea was that I would simply stake it into the ground like any other garden ornament. However, the flower ended up much heavier than I expected and will only get more top-heavy when I add the mosaic surface treatment. I don't think it will be stable enough to just stick in the ground as-is, considering I want the finished flower to stand 3-4' from the ground.

Now I'm thinking about sliding the rebar stem into PVC or copper tubing instead. Using a scrap piece of 3/4" pvc as my guide, it seems it will work well and I actually think the thickness of the tubing will look better aesthetically anyway. I might add some leaves, etc.

Here's my question: How can I secure the tubing to the ground without making a big ordeal out of it (i.e. setting it into a concrete footing)? I would like to be able to move them without a ton of effort.

Another idea I had was to make a circle of about 3 pieces of rebar that I stake into the ground real good, slide this one in the center then wire them all together.

Attach to a wood stake?

Ugh! I've got no idea which way to go. If anyone has ideas or suggestions, I would sure appreciate them! I was hoping to make a bunch of these to line along a wall which is why I'm looking for an easy solution.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staking a concrete flower

Hey, lady. As I said on the mosaic side, a heavy-duty rebar should be sufficient. I went to a company that sells large rebar for building highways, and bought no. 6 rebar for my fountain surround extension. A wooden stake won't last long. The pvc works too, but is more expensive than the rebar. However, you could paint the pvc - hmmmmmmmmm - maybe even attach some leaves. Oh, good grief. Don't get me started. I have too many other things in line, so can't go chasing ideas on flowers. I LOVE your flower, and can see them hanging out in flower beds all over - along w/those wonderful butterflies you made.

o

Oh, thanks! Funny how I forget that I've got the perfect person to ask sitting right in front of me, LOL.

Then I think what I'll do is get some heavier rebar, pound that into the ground so I've got a few feet sticking out, then use a heavy gauge wire to attach the flowers to that. That way, I don't have to have such a long piece of rebar attached to my flowers (that has been a pain). And like you're thinking, I could extend that wire up to make leaves.....maybe spray paint the rebar green.....

o

Love your idea of the mosaicked flower. I would think the heavier rebar would suffice. You will have to post a picture of it for us when it is completed!

o

Its going to be awesome! If you decide you want something thicker: Metal electrical conduit is cheap, and you can pound it into the ground over a piece of rebar.

I also use the plastic conduit for plant labels because it comes in grey.

Good luck and be sure to post pics.

Kathy

o

Thanks for the ideas! I will definitely post pics when it's done.

o

No suggestions for staking.....looks like you will have an amazing flower when complete. Good luck and post finished pics

o

What a great looking flower. A galvanized, copper or aluminum pipe should work. Pound it into the ground at least a foot, then just drop the 'stem' into it. You can cut the top of the pipe at a slant to fit nicely, or leave a hole for the pipe to go into the bottom of the flower a little when you do the mosaic. That will make it look like the pipe is attached. Linda

o

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions!

o

Love the flower!!
Be sure to show us later!

o

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Tue, May 24, 11 at 22:57

Great looking flower. I can't wait to see the finished project!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here