Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

Yard Pond For Cheap

susiewantsroses
14 years ago

We wanted a water feature but did not want fish. (We went through years of caring for large fish at our previous home.) So this pond has only a small amount of standing water.

The hard-shelled pond cost us $25.oo off of Craigslist.

We have collected stones, smooth rocks, fossils, brick pavers and flag stone for over a year from Craigslist's Free section and Freecycle. When there were enough supplies and time we started the pond. We did have to buy a retail pump. We already had the turtle and the allegator from our previous house.

{{gwi:143630}}

Of course the labor was done by my Pond boy (Hubs) and I.

{{gwi:143632}}

{{gwi:143634}}

Comments (13)

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Nice pond and the price was certainly right. I'm still thinking of doing a water feature - don't really need more upkeep but I love the sound of water.

Tell your DH he did good! Nice to have a "pond boy". LOL

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Man you are one lucky lady. This pond looks so inviting. I bet it makes for a peaceful evening on your patio.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Love the litte fountain! I like the turtle and alligator too. Are those manmade stones that look like shells?

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luna, Those are real fossils. We have a large number of them. The people who gave us the stones had collected them from the beaches of Mexico and all over during their travels. There are whole fossilized clams, petrified wood, shells, ect. I cant wait to have a little boy come over and play in there. (Pray that my Son and his future wife will want to have some grandbabies for me. tee hee)

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

susieroses & hubs...Awesome pond! Your collection of stones, fossilized clams & petrified wood, shells, etc. are just fantastic! Flagstone looks like it will work out great...TFS the great pics! Ahhh, many days (or nights) with the soothing sound of water! Jeanne S.

• susiesunshine
    14 years ago

D I T T O ! ! ! ! DITTO !!!!! DITTO ! ! !
    everything these other GJers said....

IT IS JUST OUT OF THIS WORLD ! ! ! !!

You and the Hubs did a SUPER DUPER JOB !!!!!

Looks like much fun and enjoyment at your place!!!
    I simply love the rocks and fossils !!!
    Thanks for sharing the pics !
    God BLESS !
    SusieSunshine

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

That is so cool! I love the fossil rocks too! Great job with your pond!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

You are going to come out & find somebody trying to find some bones among those fossils!! Looks great! Nice job Hubs & Susie! Jan

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

That is super fantastic. I would LOVE to have a pond like that. I couldn't care for one with fish in it anyway. This is just perfect!! So are the turtle and alligator!
    And you know how I love rocks, you've got the BEST collection with all the fossils. WOW.

hugs, Karen

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Your pond looks really great...I know that the neighborhood frogs will find it soon! The rocks and fossils give it a lot of charm too! And that DH of yours is definitely a keeper! He's wonderful to always be helping you with your projects...a lot like my DH! Aren't we the lucky ones?

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now comes the job of plant material. Hub's Mom said she has water plants to divide with us. All we have to do is move some rocks and set pots down into the pond. The water spout looks small but it does make plenty of sound. I also am doing some different plants to border the pond. Wish I could do a Japaneze maple but there is too much sun there for one to thrive.

I do not know why God has blessed us so much through Freecycle and Craigslist. Our life in general has not been blessed at all (we wont go there). And we actually have a lot of worries. People have been so generous, gracious, and kind to us. That is why I felt like it was a "God thing". YOU ARE IN THE DESSERT BUT HERE IS A COOL DRINK TO GIVE YOU JOY. That is how I have seen our gifts from Garden Forum friends, curb shops, Freecycle, and Craigslist ect. I am truly greatful.

DURING CONSTRUCTION DOG MEETS ALLAGATOR
    {{gwi:143635}}

• kelly_oh
    14 years ago

I love it, especially the alligator!!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Wonderful pond you've created! The sound of water will always be soothing ...

Most of all, I'm proud of how well y'all use Freecycle & Craigslist! That's the way it's intended to be used, and you're a good example to everyone.

Thanks to your good advice Susierose, I scored BIG recently, and will make some pics soon of the loot :-)

I will say this much .... hubby's small SUV was full! ~tenderlee

Sponsored