Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doodys_gw

gazebo

doodys
12 years ago

this is my gazebo that has stood unfinished for a couple years.I got tired of the plain wood so bought some paint to give it some color.The roof has been this way ever since Hurricane Katrina came through.It's half shingled, and half paper which the wind torn off. I need some ideas on what to do with it and some plant ideas...It's mostly in the shade.BTW,that's part of the futon frame on the front I stone- painted.....{{gwi:143788}}.......{{gwi:143789}}

Comments (10)

• leveta
    12 years ago

How cute...I'd paver the front walk. Maybe metal the roof. Some places have 2nds that would be cheaper. Lots of possibilities...

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

If you don't mind shingling, I'd shingle it...I love the entrance way where you added the futon parts & painted! Also am lovin' the colors you used here! And the hanging window is pretty, too! If you decide on a metal roof, copper or chocolate brown would really pop! Purple and/or blue blooming plants would look quite awesome here! Enjoy your corner of the world! TFS! Jeanne S.

• garden2garden
    12 years ago

I love your gazebo.

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

It looks like your are off to a great start! Love the color you chose and your wicker chair, old park bench and old stove. Can't forget about the wooden ladder that is just waiting for "junk" and the great idea using the futon frame for your entrance. Is that a light fixture in the gazeba? Have you given any thought to doing a glass-on-glass mosaic on the window? I love excessfroufrou's spider web window (see link below). It is a similar color to yours too!

Some wonderful flowers and plants for the shade: impatiens, begonias, fuchsia, hostas, ferns, astilbe, bleeding heart, columbine, foxglove, coleus, lily of the valley, ajuga, coral bells (aka heuchera), and I bet with that bit of sun there you could grow some pretty hydrangeas. Not all of the plants bloom all summer (although you can count on hydrangeas, impatiens, begonias and fuchsias) but many of them have wonderful foliage like hostas, ferns, coleus, coral bells and ajuga.

Of course, you'll have plenty of fun decorating the fence too. Lots of wonderful potential!

Here is a link that might be useful: Excessfroufrou's Spider Web Window

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I think it would look best shingled- do you have a supply of those shingles left. Repaper the upper part with tarpaper & work from bottom to the top of each side. Cheaper would be the roofing that comes on a roll& cut to overlap on each ridge so it looks nice. Colors are great to brighten that area of your yard. Some kind of pathway up to it would be nice also. Jan

• marquest
    12 years ago

That is really cute. You have gotten some great plant suggestions I would add some fragrance. Honeysuckle, and Oriental lilies. People do not think that lilies will grow in the shade but they do very well in shade. They do not grow as tall but they bloom and the flowers last longer in a bit of shade. Also, Daylilies, will bloom in shade and up close some are fragrant also. Love the suggestion of coleus, and coral bells (aka heuchera) that way you will always have some color in the area.

Great color and good bones it looks like it is going to be a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the Summer.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Its wonderful. Cant' wait to see what you do with it. I love that color.
    Kathy.

• jlily
    12 years ago

I NEED your gazebo. I don't think I could master that project by myself. BUT it is beautiful!! Enjoy!!

Jlily

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I like your gazebo. There are so many possibilities for finishing it. You could even put lattice around the lower portion of the sides. I really like the "window" on the back wall. I will look forward to seeing what you do with your gazebo. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

LOVE the color of the gazebo! It will blend really well with all sorts of plants if you decide to go that route! Great that it's in the shade too! I have a wicker swing in my gazebo and it's my favorite thinking and resting spot when I'm in the yard. I'm sure you'll enjoy it this spring and summer!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH