Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

Copy Cat, Kopy Kat....

rock_oak_deer
12 years ago

I loved this bottle tree from Gardener's Supply when I first saw it in their catalog.

{{gwi:143863}}

Instead of just ordering it, I really wanted to try my own version. So here it is, finished today! The sunflower is from Tuesday Morning.

{{gwi:143865}}

Comments (11)

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

There is always more then one way to skin a cat LOL.
    Very good copyin.
    Hi my nick name xerox and sometimes cannon I'm a copy cat too. LOL

Happy copying
    Carmen

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

I like yours even better....the sunflower is awesome and you did a great "copy cat" job!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes I love it!!!Cool!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Your sunflower is very sunny & bright so you will always have a "happy flower" in the garden even on gloomy days! Very nice! Jan

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

Love it. Looks good in your garden. tfs

• excessfroufrou
    12 years ago

What a cute idea, you did a great job. It's not copying, it's just inspiration.
    Frou

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all, of course it is just taking inspiration and going my own direction. So many of my projects are based on ideas from this site and others. Keep on sharing.

A great thing about the GJ forum is the motivation to get projects done so I can post them. Honestly if I hadn't set a goal to post this, the sunflower would still be on a shelf in the garage!

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

I love your sunflower bottle tree! I might just have to copy you! lol! I have a couple of co-workers who enjoy wine collecting bottles for me.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

good job. I like the green bottles as leaves concept.
    what is yours made out of.
    Kathy

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Thats a tall sunflower. I sure do like it....what a neat copy. Don't ya just love it when it all comes together and you can create your own?!?!? And the price tag is much more pleasing as a bonus!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again!

It's just over 8' tall. The "stem" is the trunk from a Texas Cedar which is really an Ashe Juniper. It grows straight with symmetrical limbs and is typically used for fence posts on ranches.

There are several different bottles on there ranging from yellow-green "Gnarly Head" wine bottles to dark green brandy bottles.

The sunflower had a loop on the back, but DH put two small screws through the front to keep it from flipping around in the wind. The sunflower was a splurge at $9.99 since I rarely spend that much on a single item or buy new items for GJ project. I have also seen similar metal flowers at Hobby Lobby and Michael's for a lot more so it was a good buy since ordering would have cost more than $60.

I had a lot of fun and really like the uniqueness of it. Go ahead and copy away, that's why we post here.