Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monarae_gw

pic of hollow log

monarae_gw
14 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to share a couple of pics of a hollowed out log that I "stole" from my brother-in-law. He was just about to throw it on the bonfire, and I grabbed it from him! lol! It is now part of my north garden.

{{gwi:143986}}

{{gwi:143987}}

Thanks for looking!

MonaRae

Comments (26)

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

It looks as though it's always been a part of your garden! Love the planting!! Great steal!!

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Great planter. Glad you saved it

• Barbara Kelly
    14 years ago

OH man, thats awsome! Nice yard, WTG..

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

MonaRae, that is stunningly beautiful. Planters do not come better than that.

• monarae_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    The other day I went out to water, and saw what I thought was a dead hosta leaf in the log. I started to pour the water on it, and the "leaf" moved! lol! There was a tiny bat in there. Hubby and I helped it out so it could get away. And yes, I screamed like a little girl when the dang thing moved! hehe!

MonaRae

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

That is so great. I have been looking for a hollow log for a while. I had one before my divorce but I forgot it when I moved out and he threw it on the fire...someday I will find another one...

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Great "save" MonaRae! Looks as if it belongs in your lovely natural setting.

• use2bcapecodr
    14 years ago

Oh...that is sweeeeeet!! That would look perfect in my pine area!!

~Sandy~

• tasymo
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS!!! Nice save from the bon fire! That really is an especially lovely planter.

• leveta
    14 years ago

LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!!

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

Fantastic planter! I would love to have that in my back yard. What is the plant that's trailing out? Is it creeping jenny?

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

It looks great! I planted my apple tree stump last year, inspired by this forum. It helps me to miss the apple tree a little less.
    kathy

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

That old log is really beautiful. Thank goodness you saved it. Hope your BIL learned a lesson, LOL.

hugs, Karen

• bama_gardener
    14 years ago

What a great save! I love different planters like that and it blends in so well!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Great save, monarae! Looks right at home there in your north garden ...they don't make 'em much better than that! Love it! I have a small hollowed out log in shade garden that I plant white impatiens in...they love it there! TFS & teaching that BIL some recycling skills! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

I just love it! Bat and all! he-he It sounds like you found a hoary bat (pretty silver fur with a golden face), a Northern myotis bat (brown, reddish fur with a yellowish undercoat), a red bat (colored like a fox) or silver-haired bat (almost black). They are the type of bats that are solitary and like to roost in dead trees here in the Midwest. No worries about plant eating moths with them around!

I once encountered one hanging on the inside of an outhouse door when I was a kid. I went running out of their like a rocket. When my dad came back with me a few minutes later, it was gone! Thank goodness it didn't start flying around when I was in there. I might have dived down the hole! he-he

Did you hollow out the stump yourself or was it like that?

• fldirt
    14 years ago

That is a wonderful log. Wish I had one...lucky you!

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness, great save. It looks perfect the way you've planted it. Like Marlene said, like its always been there.What is that you planted between the hosta & creeping jenny? Sadly, even tho I went to 220% zoom on computer, these eyes still can't identify it...lol
    Smicker..so sorry yours got thrown in fire by Evil Buzzard.
    Take solice in the fact that what goes around DOES come back around..I've seen it first hand..lol.....judy

• monarae_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! The plants are Creeping Jenny, New Guine Impatients and a Christmas Hosta.
    As for the bat, it was a brown sable looking little guy. I had bat houses up out on our old shed, but the old shed fell down last year. lol! We had a bet on what day it would fall! Now comes the clean up....

Sure wish it would stop raining, so I could go out and play in the yard today. Son's graduation is tomorrow, so it will be a busy day!

MonaRae

• cindee11461
    14 years ago

I love your log planter! I would have grabbed that too!!! It looks fabulous!!!!!

CiNdEeS' GaRdEn

• pa.gardenlady
    14 years ago

Hi every one,
    Great idea, I will be searching for one of these ;))

Beautiful

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

OH, I'm so glad you saved it from the fire! Love the way you've got it planted, the creeping jenny looks so pretty crawling out.

My sis-in-law has a similar, but larger, stump in her front yard of a huge old oak tree that fell during a storm about 5 years ago. She's got succulents, and other interesting things planted in it. I have a pic somewhere if I can find it, will update later.

Great save, and it adds such interet to your garden too! Good to see another Iowa gardener here! ~tenderlee

• cait1
    14 years ago

How did I miss this one??

She's a BEAUTY!!! And ditto what everyone else said!

• shysue
    14 years ago

I love that log! You made a beautiful planter out of it. I love your choice of plants for it. I use some smaller logs as planters. Wish I had one the size of yours that looks like a stump. I'm very envious!

{{gwi:143988}}

• biddlebeach
    14 years ago

What a darling idea!!! it looks fabulous!

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

Wonderful stuff,God's creation.Doesnt even need paint!