Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old wood frame windows?

Posted by aka_strawberrygoat PNW-8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 18:44

when any of you find an old wooden framed window, what's the common price of such a window?
I'm curious..cuz they seem to go for around $10 at garage sales. sometimes $15 but seem to hover around that much.
I'm talking a regular size one, about maybe 3' square or so.

at our Habitat for Humanity Restore, I've been seeing them in the $3 range.
I've gotten 4 of them in the past month but only put them in my storage unit, cuz I'm not geared for that size of a project yet.
besides, storage keeps them dry and away from breaking, till the magical day I happen to pull one of them out.

just curious........
I have no clue if one day they could become the greenhouse I so much long for, or a divider between the kitchen and front room, or hang from the fascia boards, along the front of the house, in front of the window...still don't know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old wood frame windows?

Our habitat store was selling them...or maybe not..for $30!!! Now they are $10, so I think somebody told them "not a chance!!!" I am gonna gear up to "collect" some too, but am looking on usednanaimo,kijijinanaimo,craigslistnanaimo and the recycle store as the restore here is waaaay too much! BUT I have to STOP my "collecting cuz yesterday I scored the motherloade of free stuff from the guy I bought a birdbath from(he is moving and had a junk pile) and I hauled home a whole trailer load and have to go back for another load!!! PLUS the wood I mentioned in another post...so have to utilize this stuff before the windows can be sneaked in!!!lol! If I could just get this stuff finished so Hubby can see that I DO have a method to my madness!!!heh heh!

o

I get them free on craigslist all the time. Even big ones. I also got 32 of them for $32 on CL and she threw in a great set of tall skinny old french doors! They are going to be the focal point of my glasshouse!

o

Becky, I want windows too, but I'm resisting until I do about 327 other projects. Craigs list is a great idea, rafor! You've gotta post pics of your greenhouse. Calamity, lucky you have so much creative energy.
This next week is gardening gardening gardening for me.
Kathy

o

Hint: Try local window replacement companies. I work at one and the guys bring back the old windows and just throw them in the dumpster. We have LOTS of people coming by to get them for projects.

:)

o

I also get my windows for free. www.freecycle.com. I must have at least 50 window stored everywhere. Three of them I did GOG and they are hanging on the garage wall. I am currently working on a 4th GOG.

o

You could use them this winter for the top of a cold frame. What a find! We got our neighbor's glass storm doors when he remodeled and hubby built a really large cold frame for my seedlings. I used to use wooden frames with old windows over the top.

Pam

o

I don't feel so bad now. Our Restore sells them for $30+. I thought that was outrageous. Even area rummage sales want to much for them. I think your best bet is Craigslist or Freecycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here