Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldcrafty

red brick path

oldcrafty
12 years ago

WHAT was I thinking!?!?!?! Yippee... no more loose rocks. I had stepping stones surrounded by loose white rocks. I like the look but hated having to always pick rocks out of the grass before mowing. We are about to tear down my moms house and sell the land and I wasn't about to let those bricks get left there. So one by one I pried them up, loaded them up and brought them home with me. Now the chore of getting them laid and the temps are getting in the 90's .....so I better finish fast! If anyone has any ideas as to parts of the house I can salvage and what I can do with them....please share your ideas.

{{gwi:144403}}

Comments (17)

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

I would salvage any 'woodwork' ...crown molding, baseboards, light fixtures, door knobs, hinges, etc...they are so wonderful to use on birdhouses! Your brick path will be BEAUTIFUL! Nice save! Jeanne S.

Light fixture:
    {{gwi:144404}}

{{gwi:144405}}

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

Ditto what Jeanne said. I'd probably be hauling 90% of what was being torn down, LOL. But those bricks would have been the FIRST thing for sure.

Have fun, don't kill your back, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you get and what you do with it.
    hugs, Karen

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Love the bricks, looks like some have writing on them!! Glass doorknobs, fireplace mantel & slate by it,(use in garden)old windows or small doors, screen doors or doors for arbors or use several items, windows,doors to make a greenhouse to remember mom by. Looks like you will be busy for a while with that walk! Old wood tables or benches for potting bench or "Place in garden " Old sink for water feature. Metal or wooden lawn furniture. Old iron or brass beds for fencing.Grates that are decorative are nice too. Jan

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, some kind of pine flooring is very valuable I can't remember what it is called & any stained glass windows are very valuable!Post at bottom of staircase? Garden gate to put in your garden? Did you check out basement with good flashlight to be sure nothing treasured there? Jan

• october17
    12 years ago

Is there an address plate on the house or house numbers? I have the plate from the house I grew up in. It hangs right above my back door.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

The brick path will be wonderful.
    Are there enough hours in the day? Probably almost everything at your mom's ol dhouse has a junker use!

Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you....the brick pathway is looking great! Ditto on everyone's suggestions too. Oh and did the house have lightning rods? Those are awesome too.

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Salvage everything and anything, you will find a use for it. I met a man who's son had tore down a 100 year old house and decided he didn't want the wood and had it in a pile to burn.........Yikes!! DH and I loaded our pickup till the tires were almost flat. Plus I bought the tin roofing from that house. We have built a three sided barn for the horse, a chicken coop and what was left we used to build an extention on the woodshed............I never, N E V E R throw out a piece of wood. You just never know.

Strip that house till there's nothing left and you will be amazed at all the goodies you will have.

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I'm dying laughing at the picture in my head --- a bunch of GJ'ers just totally stripping down a house with lightning speed !!!

ROFL !!

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I can see that picture too! LOL

• joannpalmyra
    12 years ago

chelcass - that reminds me of a mortgage burning party I went to a couple years ago. There was a huge bonfire and piles of wood. It was dark when I got there so I didn't get to see what was in the pile. That is probably for the best. But I did see a gorgeous barn door in flames, and I saw a long scalloped piece of hardwood being used to stir the flames. I shouted NOOOO! and rescued the scalloped wood. When the home owner saw my distress she gave me a small white picket gate to make me feel better. lol. The gate is in my garden and the scalloped piece is now running along my stairs.

• chevy57red
    12 years ago

Salvage, salvage, salvage!!

Love the bricks!!

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

My back hurts just thinking about that brick. It will be beautiful when you're done.

As for salvage: SAVE THE CABINETS. They are the base of so many wonderful projects and they make good storage for all the other goodies too!

• oldcrafty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep......I can just see all of you getting a house tearring down invitation......It would read....bringing a sack luch, I'll furnish the tea.....come early and stay late.....and don't forget to bring a BIG trailer and your work tools! Bet I'd find a few camped out on the steps bright and early...just a waitin'.

Thanks to all for all your suggestions. I have several things on my list to salvage now that I hadn't thought of before. Sad to say a couple of years ago the old barn came down and was all hauled off.....I'm still crying over that.

The brick path is about 2/3's finished. Can't start working on it till aftr 6:30 in the evenings, gotta wait for shade. Yesterday it was 93 and I don't work well when it's that hot!

• Purplemoon
    12 years ago

"...I can just see all of you getting a house tearring down invitation..."
    Crafty, do you have any idea how FAST that house would come down if sent out those invitations? LOL, there's be nothing left but the foundation!! If that.

hugs, Karen

• Kathryn Botard
    12 years ago

Don't forget the windows. I would come help you if you lived in Texas and not too far from me. I have to put out hay tomorrow tho, LOL. I agree, if you have the room, save every scrap of wood that you can. If the house is 80 years or older that old growth wood is hard to beat. You may think you don't need it now but a day will come that you will. You could build you a cute little garden shed or getaway!

• luna_llena_feliz
    12 years ago

The brick path is looking great! I can't think of any more suggestions that haven't already been made regarding salvaging the house except look for copper piping or even brass fittings. If you don't use it in the garden, you can still get a good price for it as salvage.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?