Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geraniums in a Galvanized Mop Bucket

Posted by luvs2click 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 12 at 20:34

I fell in love with these ginormous geranium hanging baskets today at the greenhouse. I replanted it in an old mop bucket. It will be nice to be able to wheel it into the garage when a freeze is predicted (like every other night). I discovered this trick for a few years ago for an instant beautiful planter. The greenhouse near me has these hanging baskets for $10 and they contain about 5 plants that are full grown and beautiful. It is cheaper to buy one of these than to buy 5 separate plants (that aren't quite so big and beautiful). Since hanging baskets don't work for me (too windy and hot here) I always replant them into a large planter for instant pizazz. With added dirt and a larger container they don't dry out so fast like they do in those little baskets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geraniums in a Galvanized Mop Bucket

What a great container!!I buy hanging plants to divide too - many times a great deal.

o

I love red geraniums. That is gorgeous! I have learned that for hot and windy, line your planters with bubblewrap before adding the soil. Helps insulate them.

o

What a nice combination,and i love those trailing geraniums.I'll have to get me a red one,i only have pinks and whites.
Kathi

o

Oh now, that is beautiful! Love the red with the galvanized! Great idea! & I understand what you are saying with 'frost' nights & wind ...same here. This is a great idea ...I'll have to be on the outlook now for an old mop bucket! TFS, luvs! Jeanne S.

o

That is gorgeous!!!!

o

Absolutely beautiful! Great idea.

o

P.O.P-O-Color!!!!Eye catching!

o

Love that look and you really got some nice geraniums. A local lumber store had gorgeous hanging baskets last month for $3.99. Talk about stocking up....thought DH was gonna take my car keys away so i'd quit going back. And that is what I did, repotted to my pots.
Jeaninwa, thanks for the bubble-wrap tip. I've never heard that one but certainly will try it. Last year I saw a post giving directions on how to put bubble wrap on your windows to help insulate your house. Never tried it.....but there was days last summer when the heat was so bad I considered trying it!

o

BEAUTIFUL!!! What a great container and I love the wheels to help move it! And what a great price....I'd definitely have jumped on that as well. Thanks for sharing with us Luvs.

o

Thanks all - I just keep staring out the window at it! Jeanne - I found the mop bucket for $2 at a thrift store!

o

Love it!!!

o

Great find! & I love galvanized...maybe I'll get that lucky, luvs! I added my one 'hot pink' Geranium & Diamond Frost & Pink Gaura & Purple Salvia to a round/rope handled galvanized pot in pool garden...I'll share a pic when it gets established a little...but you inspired me to use that Geranium in there! Jeanne S.

o

Your geraniums look great in the mop bucket.
I think I have one 'somewhere'-will have to look.
I just put an orange one in my cast-iron bathtub
with some orange impatiens, and purple Mexican
petunias. I know the M Ps will go crazy and I
will probably have to pull a bunch out soon, but
though I would try that anyway.
I have not used bubble wrap, but have found that
if I line ALL pots with holes with Plastic, up
about 2 inches from the bottom in the pots, that
I don't have to water as often.
No, it doesn't make the roots rot. Any excess
water will go over the top of the plastic.

o

Love the red with the galvanized pail. I have 1 sitting on my patio, never thought of planting it. The tip on bubble wrap sounds great too. Think I will try it on back bedroom window too, DD's room(craft room now) gets so hot in summer in afternoon. Thanks for all the ideas! Jan

o

I have also used disposable diapers in the bottom of pots, especially baskets, to help hold the water. The silicon in them retains the water.

o

• Posted by cnm1 6Oh (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 12 at 15:47

Great!! Of course now I have been searching Craigslist for a cheap mop bucket!! I will wait for a TS or tree lawn find - I will I will I will!!!! Really

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here