Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalliegal

Glass collectors..I have a challenge for ya

socalliegal
13 years ago

Was searching for garden gnomes and stumbled upon this. I am going to make one..next time I go to the Thrift Shop and find a big container gonna do something like this...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:144598}}

Comments (16)

• marleneann
    13 years ago

That is so cute!

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

Now isn't THAT adorable! My artist daughter works in polymer clay and I'm suuuuuure I could nag her into making me a few gnome homes to put in a terrarium like that. What an adorable idea! Thanks for sharing!!!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I love terrariums! And that one is doubly cute with the little gnomes. Doesn't look like there is much to it with one type of plant and the gnomes and gnome accessories.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Ohhh! I just pulled out this treasure from my shed and was wondering what I'd do with it and here you have solved this dilema!!!ha!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:144599}}

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Love the terrarium!
    I have a 3 ft tall glass container, the largest
    center part is about 18 in. BUT, the top is only
    about 2 1/2 inches----Very hard to make a terrarium!
    Have had it since the early 80's--one of those things
    that I just HAD to have when I saw it! LOL It has Lily seed pods in it-they are about 4-5 feet tall.

• socalliegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

calamity..your terrarium is PERRRFECT for the job!

Nona...back in the 70's when terrariums were all the rage I remember reading in a book on how to get they items in there with glass containers with tight necks and it's basically using those grabber things that you use when you drop something down the sink. Does that help? Or long hemastats or tweezers. I found a foot long tweezer in the hardware section at the dollar store...had to get it, you never know when you need it. ;-)

Problem is trying to find these mosses that will survive in a terr. outdoors...guess you need a shady spot.

• lindasewandsew
    13 years ago

Hi socalliegal, that's a cute idea. It reminds me of the 1970s too. Looks like you live in so cal. I'm about 30 minutes east of LA. You may or may not live near me, but if you email me from 'my page' and I'll tell you where there are a lot of great junk spots around here. Linda

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

That is a really cute idea!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

The did use the long tweezers to "plant" the bottle terrariums. I always wondered where one purchased such tweezers! Calamity_j, you'll have to post "after" pictures of your terrarium. What a great piece you have!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I used to make and sell terrariums in Almaden wine bottles (in the 70s,lol). But the little gnome additions are a riot!
    polymer clay is a great idea.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

calamity...I think you need to use that glass treasure in yoru pond creations...can you hang it somewhere with "parrots feather" & put the toots in pea gravel or shells or something in the glass pot (instead of dirt) & let the parrots feather cascade down into the pond. Ummm, just brainstorming! Great find!

socallie...cute idea you posted...especially for the fairy gardeners & gnome GJers on this forum! Jeanne S.

• socalliegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

speaking of gnomes..I have gone gnome crazy...even though my yard and my mom's yard has plenty. I bought more last night at Big Lots. I bought one that just stands with a shovel...and then another one that came in a set with a fugly mushroom...yes FUGLY. I had seen this set before at a different Big Lots and just passed it up. But last night I thought heck for the same price of a single gnome I have a gnome and a mushroom. So when I got it home last night cracked open my acrylics and repainted that fugly mushroom with a white stem and the red top and the white spots (I make a mixture of gesso, acrylic paint and sealer..kinda my magic mix for when I paint stuff for the yard)..ya know like the fairy tale books. It looks so much better, got to do some more shading and antiquing and then varnish.

• socalliegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bumping to top......re terrarium interest to Anne

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Here's another one - for a little additional inspiration. It even has a little totem action goin' on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gnome home

• nanagrandma
    13 years ago

GREAT IDEA!!! More containers for my succulents; I just happen to have an old fish tank and a large glass container especially to jazz up my "Succulent Garden

Thanks FOR POSTING

Sylvia/nanagrandma

• socalliegal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sprout - thanks for posting that. I had found recently a glass container with thick ribbed glass. I took the plastic seal off the top stopper so more air could circulate. I found a gold and silver large ceramic candle stick that made a perfect fit pedestal for under it. So far I just put in glass flower marbles in green yellow tones and that looked cool just as is. I found a small bronzed ceramic angel at the T/S last night that plays a squeezebox and it just dawned on me that he would fit in there well. The article answered my questions about direct sunlight. Right now I have it in direct light and that would fry any plants. For right now I think I will just put the angel in there by himself until I find a better spot for possible plants.