Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember 'Nigella Lights'?

Posted by foxesearth 8b GA/FL line (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 21:18

Years ago Nigella Lights were the rage on Garden Junk. Nigella put glass light fixture shades in a small bowl or saucer, tucked in a candle and Nigella Lights were born. They lined dark walkways and lit garden areas.

They still work, they're still pretty in the dark. I've improved mine by filling a tuna can with sand, inserting a votive candle and then placing the bottom of the light shade in the sand a little way. Easy. Fun. Cheap. I have boxes of light shades bought at thrift stores over a number of years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember 'Nigella Lights'?

Here's a simple how-to for Nigella LIghts

and a display of some completed lights.

The light at lower left uses a saucer, no sand because the shade is larger and looked overbalanced on a tuna can. There's really no 'right' way to do this.

o

Those are really cute.

o

Very pretty and so easy! I love them. Thank you for sharing. Marylee

o

Great idea! Looks lovely on the shelving
Kind regards
Averil

o

Those look very nice. Good idea as the thrift stores are full of light globes like that

o

Great idea for using some of those old light globes! Thanks.

o

Very pretty! Painting the cans is a good idea too.
Kathy

o

I kept in touch with Nigella for awhile after she left this forum. She lives about 50 miles from me and we had visited a couple of times.
I still miss her on this forum. I have a couple of plants I got from her in my garden. We had such a hard freeze this year I was afraid one would not come back--BUT it DID! Yea!!!!

Your lights are GREAT!!!!

o

Nona Cook, did you know that Nigella died in January? I decided to look for her after I started this thread, and came across the bad news.

I thought Margaret was such a talented person. She had turned to jewelry-making and her work was exquisite. I enjoyed visiting her ingenious greenhouse and her plants by way of Garden Web and am sorry now that I never ordered any of her Begonias. I found a picture the other day that I'd saved of a Christmas Cactus growing in an old teapot that was hers.

o

I did not know that!
How did you find out?
Thanks for telling me.

o

Love those lights as well.

Sorry to hear that nigella passed,she was sooooooooooooo talented,may she rest in peace.
kathi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here