Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doodys_gw

bowling ball finished........

doodys
14 years ago

Just finished this today using wrapping paper.I plan on sealing this with clear varnish and probably leave it on porch.The base is off a ceiling fan and plan to also paint it. {{gwi:144900}}

Comments (14)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Did that turn out purdy! Great job placing the flowers. You'll have to take a picture of it in your garden when it is in full bloom. I bet it will be stunning!

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Never thought of using wrapping paper, amazing all the things you can put on a ball & have them come out looking great!! This one is lovely, thanks for showing it! Jan

• kemmie
    14 years ago

omg. thats pretty. great job

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

That is beautiful, pink roses are my absolute favorite flower. The ceiling fan piece worked out well as a stand, I'll have to remember that. TFS
    Fror

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Well, I'll be...that is beautiful!! You used wrapping paper, huh? What did you glue it on with? And, did you cut pieces of the paper and "fit" it to the ball? Inquiring minds want to know!

• doodys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well,finally completed.Used the only color spray paint I had on hand plus used some spray-on glaze.I cut the paper into squares and used modge-podge to glue and seal it with.Now, its on to the front porch for it.{{gwi:144901}}

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Will be pretty out on your porch...last longer, too! TFS! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Very pretty! Might want to avoid full sun! Though some paper color last longer than others, I'm not sure which is which.
    Kathy

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

very clever...we have a 'restore' in town, for habitat for humanity and I bet they'd have a base for a ceiling fan...and I'd like to copy that idea, if you don't have any objections.
    it's a nice sturdy base for the ball, which I know are heavy.
    I just don't think I want to climb up and uninstall any of the ceiling fans from the bedrooms...
    about August, I'd be kicking myself!

Becky .(*_*).

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

that's so pretty! it looks like cloisonne does:D i want to make one decoupaged like that! i need some ceiling fan bases...maybe i can find some broken fans on freecycle! yours is just beautiful!

by the way....we have the same tastes in movies! i was so sad when the puppies got my hardback book of Lonesome Dove and chewed the corners, although i kept it and can still read it every now and then. My family gets tired of seeing Lonesome Dove, but sometimes when it's raining out, it's just a good day to watch it! My family is also tired of hearing me say " wait, he's putting the reins in his teeth..this is the best part of any movie EVER!" when i watch True Grit.
    lol

kudzu

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

I swear Becky, you and I really do need to get together. I discovered we are practically neighbors when you mentioned Second Hand Rose (where I just got a GREAT metal wagon wheel for only $20!!!)...and just a couple of days ago, I was at the Habitat Restore looking for some cool "junk" and was in your neighborhood visiting The Old Geezer. It sounds as if we have very similar interests and have probably already shopped together without even knowing it! How's the art/porcelain show going?

That bowling ball is just beautiful doodys...I did some paper cutouts a couple of years ago and decoupaged them onto bowling balls and varnished them when finished, but they did fade out from the sun even though the varnish had UV protection in it. AND, this rainy Washington weather didn't suit the decoupaged balls either. I think it's a good idea to keep it on the porch...maybe haul it out to a flower bed and display it amongst your blooms when you're having friends over, with it's most of the time home being under cover! Nice job!

• jenny_indiana
    14 years ago

I love it!! Very pretty!

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

the show/convention was the Thursday, Friday and Saturday of April 22, 23 and 24th...then Sunday was free and went right into a 3 day workshop to learn to paint pearls on porcelain.
    it was the best class I can remember..
    can you imagine looking at a plain white piece of porcelain and looking at a string of pearls that seem like you can reach and just pick them up?..
    I had a near migraine headache the second day..

that ended and it's been non stop just plain stuff to get caught up on.
    I wanted to get to the restore..haven't made it.
    I wanted to drive by the ol' Geezer's..haven't gone that direction at all...
    I wanted to stay home and plant lilac starts from my mom's..
    got talked into going to the "Y", to help out with 3 grandkids, for swimming in the low end pool..
    Just got home a bit ago..
    not a single start has been dipped in the 'dip and grow'..
    and now it's going on Thursday..
    the restore closes at 5.
    ..I suppose that's the part of being a gramma, that sabotages the chance to do things that were all planned out.

still, I'd take a little "yah" from a one year old, when I ask him if he's a 'good boy'..any day
    that, I can keep in my memory bank, when the lilacs will wilt and die back for a season.
    anyway, they're still fresh enough to get done any time this week.
    the two year old lost her grip on the edge of the pool and took a nose dive..
    she couldn't catch her balance, it was just that much too deep..so she got a good gulp of water.
    I was on the bench and saw it happen and yelled at her mom, who was about two feet away. she wanted out of the pool but I convinced her to stay in and then, she was fine again. I took the baby, so she could be able to jump into mom's arms and forget it scared her so much.

hey, I know...I can call the restore right now and see if they have any ceiling fan bases...
    that's a good idea..gotta go for a while.

Becky

• aka_strawberrygoat
    14 years ago

wow, this is Friday afternoon..
    Wednesday, when I was going to call the restore, I couldn't find the listing, so grabbed my keys to get there before they closed by 5, which I though was closing time.
    no, it's 7pm...
    both good and bad...lol
    it gave me time to just dawdle around, check things out..feel them..put something in the cart..walk around..put some back..find others and rethink..lol
    I ended up with 3 old wood frame windows..$3 each..
    a cute little light fixture..75% off...cost $1
    there was a ceiling fan but it was complete..naw, didn't want that...

then, yesterday, on the local "too good to toss" site, I checked to find a lawnmower for my cousin and instead found a listing for an old wooden milk crate.
    I called and she still had it, so I drove out to get it and there was a huge bunch of free things to gather.
    I ended up with 3 more old wood frame windows..free
    a cute, really cute vintage school desk, with an open space to put books..actually the same kind I had as a grade school kid, in maybe 2nd and 3rd grade.
    couple of bird nests, toy box with Pennsylvania Dutch designs..
    two chairs, that only need a plant set on them for the garden..
    and the really fun thing is an old "horse" for gymnastics, whatever those things are called.
    I claimed it, so it can be set on a couple of logs, to set out in front of an old iron wood stove in the yard for a bon fire.
    it didn't have the legs, which was so much better, cuz it weighed a bunch.
    I think there was more but right now, I can't think of what.
    some is taken out and set into storage, cuz no way did I want those things out in the rain.
    I took a friend along and she got 3 sewing machines. one she fixed and it works great..the other two were more or less beyond help, so she's keeping them for grandkids to be able to disassemble them, this summer, for a project.

it was fun...and only got them cuz my cousin needed a lawn mower.
    I never did find any listing for a lawnmower.
    and I'm also sortof afraid to log into that site, cuz I just don't want to find any more cool things for awhile.

I have heard nothing so far, from the 'gestapo guy' and am holding my breath.
    and now I have new and mysterious things in the yard....ooops!

Sponsored