Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Starlight Garden Stakes

jeannespines
14 years ago

DH & I made these "starlight" garden stakes for our first day of Farmer's Market this season. First of all, we had 10 white metal rails that we had bought for a home project and then didn't use them...so decided to re-cycle. This is the bottom view...bought greenplastic/rubber fence stakes at Menards and cut them in 12" pieces (they stick into the ground)...a 7 ft. stake costs $3.79:

{{gwi:145036}}

We had scraps of left-over pcs of wood from deck rails... so DH cut roof angle & drilled hole in bottom for metal rails...I painted and drilled a small faux hole to look like a birdhse...drilled tiny hole in those "glow-in-the-dark" stars & used gold nails to attach...and painted with white & then 2 shades of green. DH made roofs out of scrap lumber:

{{gwi:145037}}

And here's the full view..some ugly winter kill on the bushes in the background:

{{gwi:145039}}

These are standing in a small bucket of sand (for display)but I think just one alone will be cute among my flowers!

As we were making these, I was thinking that these white metal rails were reasonable (on sale) for $1.49 ea...maybe they would make a great "flower stem" for "glass flowers!"...and also the green flexible stakes might be of some use for those of you who make glass flowers.

Just wanted to share.... Jeanne S.

Comments (23)

• nonacook
    14 years ago

Those are great!
    How much do you plan to sell them for?
    Wish we had a Menards! I head for there when I go
    to Indiana. Lots of good stuff that Lowe's and
    Home Depot don't have!
    How do the white rails and the green stakes
    fit together?

• susiewantsroses
    14 years ago

So-o-o-o-o-o-o terrific!!!!! You and your DH make a great creation team! Love the shape of the white poles. The bird houses were a very creative recycling project.

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

Our ReStore for Habitat for Humanity in Riverside CA had a bin full of stair pieces. I got 5 to use to put bird houses on...may steal your idea if my houses are too large.
    Great idea. I even have the little shiny stars sitting on my tv stand from the GS room (too big for those now I guess)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Love those! Would love to have a few in my own yard! TFS Luvs

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

Those are wonderful Jeanne. I'm sure they will be great tucked into the plants in your garden and I am sure they will sell quickly.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Jeanne I love your birdhouses. Good idea for stakes.

• leveta
    14 years ago

They are very cute...Good ideal for leftovers...

• jlily
    14 years ago

The starlightstakes with bird houses are just adorable! What a cute idea. They would look great anywhere in the garden. Jlily

• maggie4737
    14 years ago

Very cute!!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Jeanne you are so creative. Love the starlite theme too. And no one else will have these at the FM, you are sure to attract buyers.
    I have a wooden baluster/spindle that I wanted to use as plate flower stem but I wasn't sure how to stick it in the ground (didn't want to put the wood in as it would rot.) Now I'll have to check out the fence stakes. Thanks!
    kathy

• cait1
    14 years ago

You are always so busy making things!! You and DH are very creative people. I think they are terrific!

• tennesseetrash
    14 years ago

Jeanne, those would look great solo in your garden! Definitely!

What a great idea with those metal rails .... perfect for the thin birdhouses! And they don't look like metal in the picture, look like wood to me. ~tenderlee

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Delightful, Jeanne! Bet they sell fast. You are so creative and full of cute ideas.

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

Love your birdhouses, JeanneS! And these can even be seen at night. I bet they would look cute in a garden at night. So when and where is this farmer's market?

• kblake1985
    14 years ago

LOVE them! The would be perfect in the moon garden I am wanting to make. GREAT job!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Soo Jeanne! Was the market this weekend? How did it go? Inquiring minds etc.
    kathy

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Very pretty "junque". I'd love some of those in my garden. Another thing to add to the to-do list!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone...we had fun making these "starlight" garden stakes...to answer your questions:

We put $10 on them...don't know if that is too high or not...figure we have about $3 in them...so will see.

FM was pretty slow (the first one yesterday of the season)...it was cold, windy & just not a nice day. We didn't sell any of these "starlighters" but we did sell a few recycled t.v. antenna "mini-deco bdhse" that my DH made from scrap wood & a broken tree branch (see below)...we'll try the "starlighters" a few more wks when more people come browsing

{{gwi:145041}}

You know, with HD TV and satellite dish, we no longer needed an antenna...so DH took it apart...cut some small logs off a branch & scraps for roof...I drilled a small hole & glued in a bit of pot liner stuff on front & glued pcs. tog....tah dah! (these sold at $4 ea)

nana...the green fence stakes fit inside the white metal rails (each 5/8")...DH pounded them in a bit.

concrete...for wood rails, my DH drills a hole & then adds a metal rod...that way, the wood rail is out of the dirt!

Thanks, GJers, for your comments! Jeanne S.

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

What cute ideas Jeanne~
    Love the starlight garden stakes and the smaller ones too! You are just a birder's delight!

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Like the little antenna birdhouses too! What a cute idea! You and your DH are very creative--and energetic! Drilling a hole and inserting a metal rod is a great idea--will sure make them last longer. Luvs

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

How cute & how green both of those ideas are. I love the way everyone on here uses recycled stuff to make such wonderful creations.

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

What a great idea! I'm sure the weather and it being the first FM of the season had a lot to do with slow sales. these are so darned cute, I can't imagine them not selling! There are so many places you could "plant" one of them!

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

You mean those spindles are really metal? How wonderful. I have some wooden ones I want to use, but need to go back and find out what to treat them with so the termites don't get to them.

Sponsored