Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Garden Junk?

Posted by pixie_lou 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 22:22

My alliums were done blooming. So I cut off the spikes and spray painted them and added them to my patio pots. My DD calls them fireworks! I have more of them - but I need to buy more colors of spray paint and I need to finish potting up my gerbera daisies.

Allium 1

Allium 2

Allium 3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Garden Junk?

How creative. I never would have thought of that.

o

Very neat idea. I have some alliums. I will try that. Thank you for sharing this idea.

o

• Posted by cnm1 6 Oh (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 6:45

Love it. Only 2 of my alliums came up this year (3rd yr). One of the things I like about them is how long they last and still look good. I am going to try this with my 2

o

I already painted silver and red. I want to get some blue paint. Then on July 4 I can pull them out of their plants, put them in their own pot as my patio table centerpiece.

o

That's a cool idea, Pixielou! I wonder how long they will hold up once dried and painted.

o

GJ is in the eye of the beholder! ;-)

Cute idea! I always love to see these Alliums even when they're done bloomin'! My MILaw used to paint what we called 'Puff Balls' silver & gold...they were pretty cool, too! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing.

o

Wow! What a great idea. Now I have to plant some of those :)

o

Those look great! I've seen artificial ones made from nails put into a wooden ball, but it's even better that these are the real thing!

o

cool and very very creative

o

I can't grow them dang it ! ( Not enough light ) I love what you did with them . Maybe I'll have to tear the garage down so I can let some sunlight into my backyard ! LOL

*If I did that -- DH would have me committed ! ( or jailed ) LOL

I love your flowers :)

o

I painted mine last year for the first time and plan to do it again. I left them in place. There was one man who asked about then and seemed offended. He thought paint was cheating. I was amused.

From 2011-07-17 2066_07_14

o

Painted them in place ???? That's a great idea . They do it to dried flowers all the time! Alliums are wonderful when they're dried . You made them a centerpiece of your garden :) *High 5ing ya ! *

o

luv luv luv this!!!! Great thinking guys!! I'm going to try this too! One can NEVER have TOO MUCH color in the garden :D
AWESOME!!

o

Love them!
I have some garlic that looks similar when it seeds....

o

FWIW - we had 2 inches of rain on Saturday. The alliums have held up fine do far. And we are expected to have rain on and off all week. I'm more worried about rain. If the sun fades them I can just respray.

o

great idea!!! they will be cute painted up in red, white and blue for Independence Day!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here