Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_pyle

A different version of plate flower.

Shades_of_idaho
9 years ago

I made these plate flowers by adding some glass bits to plates and then gluing to a window. I have a second one matching only in mirror image. I had a time of it to photo. I could not hold it and get far enough away to get the whole picture. I filled in the back with patterned clear glass pieces. not going to grout like a mosaic. I like it all clear and I pushed the glass backing tight together.

I need help to hang them. My crafty friend is gone on a trip. Husband still is not supposed to lift. And these are heavy. Window is about 18 by 28. I can not hold and hook it to the side of the kitty kennel by myself. Not to mention the need for a ladder because I am vertical challenged.

Two pictures. One on my work table and the other looking through it.

Comments (17)

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GW makes my photo fuzzy. The backing is squares and rectangles.

• garden2garden
    9 years ago

I really like that! Especially after you showed it with the light comming through it. Love the subtle colors of the flowers and really love how that background turned out. TFS.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Garden2garden. Hoping to work on the second part soon and get these hung. I have a bit of yard work left to do after the plant exchange yesterday. :^)

• laurastheme
    9 years ago

These are gorgeous. I've thought about doing something with windows, but haven't had time.

• oldgraymare
    9 years ago

Wow! LOVE IT! I guess I need to go back to the thrift stores! LOL!

• oldcrafty
    9 years ago

Those are gorgeous! No grouting needed. Did you use GEII to adhere them?

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Lauratheme, Oldgraymare and Oldcrafty for the nice comments.

Oldcrafty I used the walmart version of GEII. I have been using it for years and it seems to hold up well on the totems that live outside year round. It is about half the cost of the GEII. You might be oldcrafty but I am old cheepie. LOL.

I have the plates for the second one done and the stems and leaves ready to glue. I bought the wrong size S hooks for hanging them so need to wait until we make a trip to town to exchange. Or just buy more because we always need S hooks. LOL

I will just add this here. I took some pictures of our yesterday. Moved the canning kettle brigade around to the washing machine tub bench. Hoping it will make a big pretty display of flowers around the bench. The flowers were just planted Saturday so they need time. Made up a grout groat bowl I need to find special place for. It is just sitting on another planter to get the picture. Then I took some pictures of the rust garden.

There are 13 pictures better stop at the end of that Gross alert after. Pictures of hubby for his surgeon so we did not have to keep driving 200 miles for him to see in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Spring in the garden

This post was edited by shades_of_idaho on Mon, May 5, 14 at 16:58

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

Well, that is VERY creative!! I've never thought of doing that before, but your window turned out great! Thanks for the tutorial on how you did it as well!

• daisy_ny6
    9 years ago

What is GEII?

Never mind, google to the rescue! I see it is a name brand of a silicone glue made by GE, duh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decription and picture of GEII

This post was edited by daisy_ny6 on Wed, May 7, 14 at 11:12

• nonacook
    9 years ago

Those are great! I have been thinking of doing a shower door with crash glass for the background. but not exactly what to do on the rest of the door. Plates would work for that space, I think!

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

That is beautiful! Fabulous flowers!
    Kathy

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Marlene Daise NonaCook and Concretenprimroses. I am slowly working on the background fill for the second window. So anxious to get them hung up. I bounce back and forth between my glass , house chores ,yard chores and helping hubby in his shop working on the old truck. This is a good thing he has ambition to do things. He just needs help because the chemo induced neuropathy in his hands still bothers him. I never aspired to be a mechanic. He is changing wheels on the old flat bed from split rims to regular. This is a good thing and means I will have a truck for hauling things. So I am not complaining too much.

I keep finding bits of garden junk stash in my hoard and adding it all to the flower bed for decor. The plants are filling in a little showing promise of things to come.

I had a change of plans in the fountain department. I needed a stronger pump to make water come from the watering can so instead I used a fountain frog and did crystals on the watering can spout. Baby steps. I just need time to be able to go sit in my new little patio area. LOL I need to get some pond plants too.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful flower window!! Like the water fountain in progress too!! Cute frog!! Be sure & show us the other window!! Takes a lot of talent & patience to do work like that. Jan

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a disappointment on the windows and passing this on hoping to save some one else from the same.

I had one window hanging and in the process of hanging the second window the top of the frame pulled apart. Gosh who knew. Of course they are not made to hold weight they are camper windows. My husband said he will see if he has pop rivets long enough to add one to each corner of the frames to hole them together.

If not then I need to get small nuts and bolts and drill through to secure each corner. So both windows are lounging in my studio. It is a 40 mile trip for nuts and bolts. The only bad part of living so far out. Everything goes on a list and we literally shop until we drop on town run days.

I am a bit bummed. The one hanging looked so pretty too but I was afraid it might pull apart so I took it down.

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally managed to get the plate flower windows hung on the kitty kennel. I am going to change the center thing for another some thing in glass. It was hanging there. and seeing it now with the windows I do not like the look.

Still need to finish painting but I swear every time I have time to paint the weather is not cooperating with me.

We did yard sales today and I got a pile of flower type dishes. More fun times to come.

• oldgraymare
    9 years ago

I use L brackets on the corners of mine. I have one hanging outside and it hasnt fallen apart yet!

• Shades_of_idaho
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The L brackets are a good idea. I will do that on the wooden ones I have to do. Thanks.

So far they are holding up with the pop rivets. It has been very windy. I also have the bottom of the frames just wired to the kennel and it keeps them pretty still.

The glass you used on your window is so pretty.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax