Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Score!

Posted by ellie_may12 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 22:48

My neighbor was getting rid of one of those metal framed swings from Wal-Mart tonight...the kind with the fabric seats and the fabric shade on top....well I got it. Now I have to figure out how to fix up the seat, because the fabric is torn. Ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Score!

We just used the webbing you buy to redo those chairs and lounge chairs that do use the webbing. My husband used sheet metal screws to old it. The hard part was finding enough of the same color to finish it. It looks great.

o

We used wood.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Yup that is exactly what I have! I love the vines you have growing on the canopy! Do you have a photo of the underside that I could see? Did you tack the cushions to the wood or are the separate? This is really lovely!

o

Wow! What a difference the vines, wood fence and swing cushions made. Looks really pretty now. Please explain how you used wood on the swing. Luvs

o

Sorry Ellie I was out of town here is the pics.I used c clamps and ply wood .

Photobucket

C clamps
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thank you!!! That is totally something that I can do!!! I'm going to measure it tonight!

I was thinking that you fastened the cushions onto the wood, but really didn't want to have to leave them outside all the time.

Thanks again!!!

o

I have the same swing. I repainted everything last summer with semi-gloss paint so I can wipe it down. The old stuff made it impossible to wash like the pollen and stuff off. And we removed the canopy. I recovered the cushions last year but that doesn't last and I'm totally against the thought of spending money on cushions anymore. I wanted DH to put wood planks on the frame to create a new swing seat but we priced it and it's going to be cheaper to just buy a new wooden swing to use on the frame. That's the plan now... I'm still using junk to make something nicer, though! LOL

o

You could take swing off and use it as hanging pot holder it could be cute.Id use 2 tipsy pot and use the top to hold other neat pots.

o

or you could do this to the seats. Well in fact the canopy could be done like that to as well I guess. I think I found this link on this forum, not sure about that though! Would be time consuming but neat!!

http://www.kingskountry.com/free-macrame-lawn-chair-instructions.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: woven macrame lawn chair instructions

o

Oh now that is an interesting thought....That looks like a lighthouse design on the back of that chair. If I did that, DH would LOVE it! Oh my so many options!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here