Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Working on Pond Garden Junk

jeannespines
13 years ago

In-between all the rain, cold & wind, I've been working in gardens...these are some pics of GJ around the pond...the Ivy came back good this yr & I tucked this little turtle in among the rocks & ivy (TS find):

{{gwi:145459}}

And my "under the bridge" troll, who actually sleeps near the bridge under the red Dogwood bushes...near the waterfalls (he sleeps here thru the winters also):

{{gwi:145460}}

A closer look at Mr. Troll ...& I just planted that Live-Forever Sedum ($1 at local plant sale)on the left side of him....will give him some more cover later:

{{gwi:145461}}

Got the glass totem birdbath back in place...it held up good but was in Garden Shed during winter mos.:

{{gwi:145462}}

Gardens are coming along pretty good...ready to add more GJ when the weather permits! Thanks for lookin'! Jeanne S.

Comments (17)

• marleneann
    13 years ago

You have done well!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Fun pieces, Jeanne! I still love that birdbath no matter how often I see it! That little blue bird just screams, "Look at me!", against the green. I thought that turtle was real. lol! I like how you hid him amongst the foliage. And the troll is adorable.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

The troll looks right at home & frog is very real looking! Hope it warms up soon so you can enjoy gardening more! Always fun to see what you do next! Jan

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Beautiful, all of it. I love that little troll and I'm still jealous of your cheap plant finds. As usual your pictures are amazing. Thanks for the garden tours.
    Frou

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Very cute.
    They will really dress it up when the greenery fills in.
    It has rained almost everyday since we got back to MN so have not even put out anything yet.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Very Inspiring!!! This is what my pond looks like right now...just put this in, but have a million ideas on how to decorate it...starting with the mosiaced walls(slate/rocks/etc), pergola over it(hang plants/dangly stuff),and of course a handmade rhubarb leaf spillway/ a rock tunnel, and a castle(wire mesh and cement,3ft high/lit up(to go between the bog garden and the pond) sooo much to get done to see the finished product like you have...so thanks for the inspiration...muuuust geeet doooone

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:145455}}

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Your gardens are looking good Jeanne! Mr. Troll looks quite content there by the pond and your birdbath is great...always been one of my favorites with the bluebird.

• kirkus
    13 years ago

Oh, I want to come visit! I want to relax there like that troll! Beautiful, peaceful, serene... TFS!!! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Wherever did you find Mr Troll? He's great! I've never seen anything like him! lol

The totem bird bath is a work of art. Do real birds take a dip there or is it soley the domaine of the blue glass bird?

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Could you post a pic of your whole pond??!!!

• nanatricia
    13 years ago

I love that BB

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

I just love your pond pics...I was in a nursery yesterday and at the check-out in front of me was a woman buying a ceramic turtle (about the same size as yours), 2 ceramic frogs (about 3 inches tall) and 2 lizards (about 6 inches long). They were darned cute, for sure, BUT when they totaled up her bill, it was over $100! I'm not badmouthing her purchase, but it made me SO proud to know all you junkers who search second hand stores, yard sales and dollar stores letting me know I don't have to break the bank to have a fun yard!!! You're all so inspirational!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Its looking wonderful! Nice to see that bird bath again, I still aspire to make a similar one.
    I can't say I've never bought garden objects for full price. But its a special purchase when I do, carefully thought over. Of course its much more fun to make them or find them thrifting or sailing.
    Kathy

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

Oh so very very very very nice...always wanted a full fledged pond..perhaps one day. I used to use a big cermamic pot that was designed as a basket and plugged up the hole with a cork and used to fill it up with duckweed and some other small water plants. Kept it going for a long time until it got neglected one year and found it dried up (the cork was starting to fail I believe). Can't wait to glue my bird bath together this weekend. I could not find the last touch of some fauna for my bird bath. I need a marble dragonfly or something...my next search at Big Lots or Michaels or 99 cent store. Oh I also have a ton of gnomes in my yard and my mom's yard...lol.

...that reminded me of the tale of the troll that lived under the bridge "Three Billy Goats Gruff"..your gnome is sooo cool...I like him reclining. I found several years ago one that 'sits' in a ThrifShop, he sits in a corner of one of my mom's garden benches.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, GJers, for your comments...I'll post some more pics with a full view of the pond on a separate thread.

I found "Mr. Troll" at a nursery & did buy him new several yrs. ago...he stays outside all yr round ...& is in 3 pcs...head, tummy & jeans/feet...I loved that Billy Goat Gruff story!

The birdbath has exceeded my expectations (used Silicone II for Doors/Windows Clear) ... made it in March last yr & it withstood all summer/fall & in garden shed this winter...good as new & out there at the pond again this yr!

Cheap plants ($1 bag) are from our wonderful volunteer organization, "Green Scene"...they sell once a yr, new plants & old dug up from gardens all around the area...money donated to community schools/projects like trees, bushes, plants...an awesome place to find your gardening needs. I'm retired now so this is my 2nd yr of volunteering...before that I always was a member & bought at the sale!

I also buy some new GJ stuff ...try to buy on sale or use 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby...here is a cast iron chicken I bought this yr. for 50% off there...but it's planted in old GJ egg basket & I add ivy, sedum, ornamental cabbage & some hen & cks ...sits on the patio:

{{gwi:145463}}

back view:
    {{gwi:145464}}

Thanks for all your ideas & comments! Jeanne S.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

that's an awesome trip through your sanctuary...
    it'd be the best place in the world, to sit, rest and be peaceful, with not a care in the world.

I'd never leave home very much, if I had a yard like that, for sure..except to wander out for shopping for things to incorporate into the scenery.

well done and well appreciated for the pictures.

Becky..
    oh, and I found one of those green glass vases, cuz when I saw what you did, to make a bird bath, I thought that was very simple and efficient for just what it is.
    gotta find a sturdy ashtray now..that was clever of you.

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

Jeannie, your garden sanctuary is magazine perfect! Love it..!!!!!!!!! So beautius!

Is it ornamental cabbage behind the fisherboy?